gravitational

TSA Incident Report - ORD 10.10.2006

Sorry you had to go through all that!

I have traveled with my rig 3 times and everything has gone smoothly. I just flew out of Denver a couple of weeks ago and the TSA screener did call the supervisor. We stepped aside to a different area where he swabbed it. I guess I was lucky as he said he has seen many rigs go through security. He was even training a few other screeners what to look for. He was nice and asking a lot about the sport in general. Said he was interested in trying it out. I know I was lucky, and I dread the day I have an encounter like yours. I hope your complaint is answered to your satisfaction.
Jen

I also always thought cypres 1 had some sort of exploasive device in it for the cutter... I was taught that by my instructor when he was teaching me what a cypres does, he just happened to mention this so we would know what to expect when going on flights.

Propellant - granted, I'm not a chemist so I couldn't offer an expert opinion on the cross variations and differences between propellants and explosives.
I'd be willing to bet that no where in the TSA training/reference materials does it refer to an AAD as being safe and approved for travel by the US DOT and other worldwide agencies.

Sounds to me like this is a myth going back aways and for that i understand a whuffo thinking that as i always did until i learnt more.

I guess I'd be curious to run into this guy again to see if he educated himself on the AADs - at least this is what he told me he was going to do.

The guy did his job perfectly. He opened your reserve as he did not trust you, fair play to him.
I wonder how many people they have stopped at gates with illicit items as their carry on. At least some people are trying to protect your american behind

The guy did his job perfectly based on his ineducation and life experience - protecting the traveling public? From my point of view, no. From yours? Probably and I'll accept that. Sucks to be me and I'm just glad I had my gear bag to wrap it all back up into.
Unlike the UK, the TSA from my experience has not done random gate security checks like they do in the UK. (again, from experience and I'm in the airport more than most that have responded to this thread) the security people that work in Heathrow and Gatwick are the best in the business from what I've seen. They take their work seriously and question everything. (ask me in person about the 'stupid american' that was going to miss her flight).
I've gotten more of a look going thru security in Nigeria than I've had at any airport in the US - they didn't discriminate...everyone got interrogated.
Without taking this to a political rant, I do not feel safe flying with the TSA involved (when you hear someone say 'I'm from the gov't. I'm here to help', the best thing to do is run). I do not feel that the security at airports in the US is even remotely adequate.
Ultimately who is protecting my american behind? Me and my awareness of my surroundings.
------
Michael

I recently read a great remark from an airport security guard at Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv (which, by the way I did travel through their airport twice in the mid-nineties and they; the whole country; take security very seriously).

He said that the problem with airport security in the United States is that we are always looking for and banning things when we should focus more energy on looking for people, who are a threat. In reality, terrorists can find new ways, using anything, to be dangerous. We can't ban all potentially dangerous items, as that is ludicrous. But I agree that we spend way too many resources on items and not people. Maybe it's a false security thing.

(sorry if this is leaning too much toward SC):|
Jen

Michael i was in line at heathrow the other day trying to get to security and the line was about 5000 ppl thick.
I am so lucky i did not try and take my rig on mate cause i was not even allowed hard tablet pain killers, nor was i allowed my asthma inhalor.

Let me tell you a time about heathrow just so you know tsa and heathrow are in the same league....

My rig went threw security fine, my mates was stopped due to cypres, we were running late for flight, they called over supervisor and ran it threw the xray again, they told him he could not take it, i stepped up being the arrogant prick i am and told him there was no way he can say we can not take it, i was making him think i knew what i was talking about, when i did not. He said he was going to open it, i told him if he opens it i will have him and his company charged as it is a FAA regulation that nobody except a licensed parachute rigger can touch or open, he said ok, well i am not sure your airline will let it on so he was walking over with us, then he dissapered and we just walked on....

I do not think anybody at security really has a clue when it comes to parachutes, they have so much to now look out for that they must be so confused... they are doing their best though and there as not been any more 9/11's so good on them.

I find it alot easier getting throguh security in the states with my rig than heathrow and new zealand for that matter.

America sees more rigs i am guessing pass throguh.

One thing though Michael, i am with you on the not feeling safe part with TSA, It is so easy to walk through there most of the time, i think the security in the states is the worst i have ever seen. It is harder in egypt, actually the hardest i have had would be Thailand, egypt and heathrow being the most thorough.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I also always thought cypres 1 had some sort of exploasive device in it for the cutter... I was taught that by my instructor when he was teaching me what a cypres does, he just happened to mention this so we would know what to expect when going on flights.

Propellant - granted, I'm not a chemist so I couldn't offer an expert opinion on the cross variations and differences between propellants and explosives.

BATFE knows the difference. There are quite different rules for "propellant actuated devices" than for explosives.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This thread has been quiet for awhle so I hope that means nobody has been having problems, until yesterday.
Leaving PHX yesterday from a Eloy trip. Both my rig and my wife's get pulled for inspection. They do the explosive test on hers and the machine goes off. The guy calls for his supervisor and asks her to observe while he retests. Uses a different machine and it goes off. Tells me he will have to have me open it for inspection. I politely discuss this with him to no avail. I figure no sense in being an ass because its a two day drive home and a repack is cheaper anyway. He is very careful not to just start tearing things apart and quite honestly looked as if he new his way around the rig. Long story short, I asked what the machine alarmed for and he said, "NG, a component to explosives." I asked, "since there obviously isn't any in here then why did you machine go off?" He explained that there are also additives in hand lotions and sanitizers that will leave the same marker. When we got home I asked a TSA rep at that airport and they told me the same thing.
Anybody else have this problem and/or know how to avoid it?
Oh, when we we're leaving for Eloy and they ran our rigs the lady behind the x-ray hollered for a supervisor because she saw what looked like a "detonator," which she hollered loud enough for people 30 feet in bought directions to hear. Luckily the supervisor was retired military with airborne training. He was pretty cool. He looked at the screen, pulled the rig, walked over and said, "don't worry I got your back," visually inspected it, said, "I still have to do an explosive test," did it, on bought hers and mine and let us go.
OK, enough rambling.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

On my way to and from deland last month i was pulled at both the desks.

at check in They informed me that taking Rigs onto virgin flights was not permited. They then told me there was a delay on the aircraft due to engine problrems :) i shit you not..

On the way back virgin did not mind me taking my rig on board, (i think this was just after the ba flight had crashed), on maybe due to the plane not having engine problems, so no chance of me going for broke if the plane was going down!!!

On the way back it was pulled up at the security desk and an x-ray was done, supervisor came over and asked me about the rig , etc , must say they were all super cool, 2 other supers came over so i could explain the various parts to them, they seemed more intrested then critical, and were all super friendly. explosive test done,no alarm went off though.

everyone was happy!!!

Nb
Orlando has the nicest staff to any airport in america, even the customs and passport control are polite.

>They informed me that taking Rigs onto virgin flights was not
>permited. They then told me there was a delay on the aircraft due to
>engine problrems :) i shit you not..

?? Those are both not-unusual occurrences and not related. When I was flying to Rantoul one year, the pilot on the puddle jumper (Dash 8) came into the boarding area and said "no parachutes on my airplane!" So we all gate checked them. Not a big deal.

Just read something in Bonfire where this was posted too. Tuesday morning they fertilized the main landing area and I know my wife had one landing that she slid in. Perhaps it was the N in the fertilizer that set it off.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

This thread has been quiet for awhle...

As a long term follow-up to this, I was transiting thru ORD on my way back from Africa recently when the TSO says 'What, no parachute this time?'. I recognized this TSO as one that was standing around during the incident and jokingly laughed and say no, not this time.
TSO proceeds to tell me that additional training was provided to all TSOs and the supervisor that was responsible for my hassle refused to accept any of the knowledge he was getting from this additional training. So, the best thing happened...

They fired him.

I liked the TSA, if for just that one day.
-----
~~~Michael

When I was flying to Rantoul one year, the pilot on the puddle jumper (Dash 8) came into the boarding area and said "no parachutes on my airplane!" So we all gate checked them. Not a big deal.

You flew the wrong puddle jumper - flying out in 2006, the pilot was a former jump plane pilot. (BAE Jetstream 32 if I recall correctly - no cockpit door and no FA)
-----
~~~Michael