Mikhail

Reversal Theory & Skydiving

Hey everyone,

Care for some psychology? I've spent most of my free time this past week plowing through a bunch of material on something called "reversal theory," a psychology theory that has particular application to risk sports. I hope some of you may find this interesting. Feedback & comments are much appreciated!

Without futher adieu: clicky

Blue skies,

Mikhail

P.S. I have no formal background in psychology whatsoever; this is an entirely amateur effort.

Sorry, but when I read sentences like:

Alternatively, it seems that metamotivational states could be layered. Thatcher et al. propose that the paratelic-conformist state pair is dominant during skydiving

my mind tends to shout "codswallop" for some reason.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Pick up, "The Parachute and it's Pilot" by Brian Germain, as well as "Transcending Fear" They will lead you more into the psychology involved in skydiving
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Unfortunately, I disagree with Apter on this point:

As a curious aside, Apter argues that negativism is yet another active arousal-seeking strategy, in the sense of overcoming social limitations.

Perhaps he had Mad Skillz though?

Personally I see it less as negativism and more as para-logical titivationism with some atavistic neo-colonialism thrown in. But I have always been something of a radical thinker...

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Pick up, "The Parachute and it's Pilot" by Brian Germain, as well as "Transcending Fear" They will lead you more into the psychology involved in skydiving

I've read the books multiple times. :) Transcending Fear focuses on reducing arousal when it is harmful (e.g. emergency situation).

my mind tends to shout "codswallop" for some reason.

Maybe if your mind spoke English, you would make more sense. ;)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codswallop :P

Would you prefer balderdash?

Whatever the terminology, there was no bullshit intended. I looked at the material, picked out things that I thought were relevant, and made some comments. Take it or leave it.

Personally I see it less as negativism and more as para-logical titivationism with some atavistic neo-colonialism thrown in. But I have always been something of a radical thinker...

Wow.

Somehow, that really "speaks" to me.

Can I use it as my new sig?

Wow.

Somehow, that really "speaks" to me.

Can I use it as my new sig?

Of course... B| I am always available to come out with meaningless crap should the occasion demand it. :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Mikhail,

Most of the psychological "research" that has been done on skydiving tends to reinforce a pre-existing bias against participants in recreational risk taking. In academia, it is hard enough to find a niche to study that hasn't already been beaten to death by other people aspiring to put more letters after their name. I think this is why we see so many self-reinforcing research projects and a near lack of objectivism.

About the time I started my graduate work, a movie called "Adrenaline Rush: The Science of Risk" came out and inspired me to do my thesis on the psychophysiology of risk-taking behavior. Since I practice in an ER, I have a bit of a different take on the outcomes of risk taking and extreme sports. It tends to make you focus more on the what instead of the why, and the tangible rather than the theoretical.

In other words, I tend to agree more with Grillet than I do Apter

peace

Would you prefer balderdash?

At least that one doesn't originate with a phrase meaning, "...to whack in the balls..." B|

"You're very good at whacking people."
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

:D Props to you for that, I was thinking something similar except all the gigantic, meaningless words that I can string together are engineering words, not psychology words (or made-up words).

Anyway, while I'm sure the paper made a great grad-school psych essay, and I think the author made some correct observations, I really just found it a case of using big, confusing words to hide the fact that he was describing the intuitively obvious.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

:D Props to you for that, I was thinking something similar except all the gigantic, meaningless words that I can string together are engineering words, not psychology words (or made-up words).

Anyway, while I'm sure the paper made a great grad-school psych essay, and I think the author made some correct observations, I really just found it a case of using big, confusing words to hide the fact that he was describing the intuitively obvious.

Busted! :P:D

Anyway, I agree with your findings on this matter, Dr UDSkyjunkie.

Can you give an example of a meaningless gigantic engineering word?

Turboencabulator? ;)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Flux Capacitor?;)

Tachyon particles?

Word? no... string of legit words that could have been said much more simply? yes!

I remember my sister's massage therapy instructor at her graduation ceremony:

"Greetings all soft-tissue constriction removal technicians!"
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Flux Capacitor?;)

FICTION

Tachyon particles?

Physics, not engineering

Word? no... string of legit words that could have been said much more simply? yes!

I remember my sister's massage therapy instructor at her graduation ceremony:

"Greetings all soft-tissue constriction removal technicians!"

Massage therapy is NOT engineering.
:P