MikeTJumps

February BOD minutes from the gallery

Not from the early morning/9 a.m. session. A little bird had whispered a couple days ago that the gallery would be dismissed in the first 5 minutes, so I didn't bother to go down. Glad I didn't. Rather than spending 7 hours sitting outside the doors, I actually accomplished some work in my room.

Thank you so much for posting these...

Hey Spence. Nice shirt. ;)

He might have been the best dressed there.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

If we get a live feed for general meetings, then do we have a quorum if there is a way to monitor who is watching or signs in with USPA #? Is there a way to sign in to a live feed and keep track? We can actually vote immediatly. Cmon computer dudes, is this possible?

It's competely possible and even quite easy, and costs very, very, little.
Problems are that the meeting can't exactly be kept in order, and having a confirmed license number is difficult too. Only current members of the USPA can count as part of the quorum....
But in short, Jan Meyer had the idea of one life stream, then eventually adding incoming chats (they'd be silent), etc. For now, having the video stream seems to be OK, I don't know what the USPA should expect, but if the numbers of viewers of what streams I put up don't reach out like the PIA streams, theyre sure not gonna push for an online presense, so if you want on-line/streaming video in one format or other continue, show your support by watching the full hour + that we all watched in real-time. Numbers folks...numbers of views. That's what carries the weight.

again many many thanks... this should be the standard for all member organizations. My point from the other thread was that Closed meetings only lend to suspicion and rumor.

[
again many many thanks... this should be the standard for all member organizations. My point from the other thread was that Closed meetings only lend to suspicion and rumor.

I can't argue with that, but closed meetings are important for some actions. Howeverr, it seems that in the absence of information, the human brain often substitutes it's own imagined information. And sometimes it's even correct.

Closed meetings are performed for the purpose of avoiding personal information from being revealed until such time as actions are formalized. For example, heated discussions dealing with disciplinary actions are best not given a public airing. When a disciplinary action is discussed, legal issues may be involved and it is strongly advised not to openly discuss those amongst "the public" but to keep things specifically limited to those involved in the decision process including those representing the accused. As such, I understand the need for a closed session to resolve the issue.
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

The problem is that without transparency there is no way for the general membership to make an informed voting decision. Sure I can read the minutes and see what the final decision on an issue is, but if I don't know which members were pushing for or against that decision how do I know who is representing my interests?

I agree that sometimes closed doors are necessary but the current EC has taken it too far, especially when ND's and RD's are not even involved in the decision making process on important issues.

-Dave

Skydive Radio

Perhaps the statement in your second paragraph might help you answer the question in your first paragraph. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks MikeT, DSE, and diablopilot for keeping everyone who wasn't able to make it informed about what was going on. It was great meeting all of you. :)
The General Membership Meeting was pretty informative, and very well run, IMO. The meeting *was* summarily dismissed due to the lack of a quorum, but after that Ed Scott did a powerpoint presentation on the "state of the USPA" (my wording, not his ;)). Then they did an open Q&A session with the whole board. It was definitely worth being there, I am glad I made the trip. Not sure what DSE posted, since I was there, but if he posted the GMM meeting it's definitely worth watching. :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091