tallbigguy

Can I really not skydive

I don't know if Russ Francis still skydives but he is the biggest guy I ever saw skydiving, retired tight end for SF, but he used to jump a raven III. Don't know what type of container and harness he was using.

Aubrey from Elsinore makes Russ Francis look like a skinny punk.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Stop whining, loose some weight fatboy!!!

There really is no call for that.

If you are not even going to read his first post entirely, please refrain from replying.
The OPs questions are valid - there is a lot of places advertising with weight restrictions.
It is unreasonable to expect eager newbies to know the forum etiquette, such as it is, and to know they must fill in their profile in order to be taken seriously.
By simply trolling them, you're just scaring off the sincere people.
In my opinion, even if we can help a single newbie, it's worth wasting time on 99 trolls.

To the OP, i hope you achieve your dream!
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

A few years ago up at Air Adventures West in Taft, they had a wealthy prince from the middle east come out to do an AFF course.

He was a big fat dude that couldn't use traditional gear. He had to purchase his own Tandem container & a 400 sq ft canopy to do the jumps.

It was basically a Tandem rig that had been modified to function like a sport rig. No drogue chute, and the handles were positioned like a normal rig.

It was a lot of money to spend but I guess it worked:S

You can jump, but it will be EXPENSIVE . You will either need to purchase custom sized gear (~$4500.00) OR learn on a modified tandem rig. The trick, if you go the modified tandem route will be finding a DZ that will be willing to tie up a rig that way. The two principal tandem makers are:
Strong: www.strongparachutes.com/index.html
UPT: www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/

Contact them and see if they can help you.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Stop whining, loose some weight fatboy!!!

There really is no call for that.

If you are not even going to read his first post entirely, please refrain from replying.
The OPs questions are valid - there is a lot of places advertising with weight restrictions.
It is unreasonable to expect eager newbies to know the forum etiquette, such as it is, and to know they must fill in their profile in order to be taken seriously.
By simply trolling them, you're just scaring off the sincere people.
In my opinion, even if we can help a single newbie, it's worth wasting time on 99 trolls.

To the OP, i hope you achieve your dream!

well...i could easily call this guy fat..after some calculation his BMI is 29,3(overweight)30+ is very overweighted...
, i found this thread real silly..i mean..why the hell do it so difficult, put lots of money in a special-sewed rig just to avoid some diet and exercising.

But hey, what do i know..im just talking shit......as always!

well...i could easily call this guy fat..after some calculation his BMI is 29,3(overweight)30+ is very overweighted...
, i found this thread real silly..i mean..why the hell do it so difficult, put lots of money in a special-sewed rig just to avoid some diet and exercising.

But hey, what do i know..im just talking shit......as always!

Just ran my BMI and would have to loose 40 lbs to get an normal/average BMI rating. I am 6' 1" and 210lbs at 12% body fat. So I would have to loose all my body fat and 15lbs muscle to be in the normal/average range. :o

The BMI was developed back in the 50's/60's and is NOT an accurate reflection of adiposity. 99% of bodybuilders would flunk the BMI. http://www.ironbodies.com/modules/bmi-indicator/ At most the OP would need to lose 5-10 lbs in order to meet the 300# TSO of most standard sports gear today. I have a rig in the classroom (VIII, PDr 281, PD300 Main) with about 40 jumps on it that we have just for the Anvil students.

Tink: A tandem rig.... again; not necessary. If they can get down to about 260, they're good.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The BMI was developed back in the 50's/60's and is NOT an accurate reflection of adiposity. 99% of bodybuilders would flunk the BMI. http://www.ironbodies.com/modules/bmi-indicator/ At most the OP would need to lose 5-10 lbs in order to meet the 300# TSO of most standard sports gear today. I have a rig in the classroom (VIII, PDr 281, PD300 Main) with about 40 jumps on it that we have just for the Anvil students.

Tink: A tandem rig.... again; not necessary. If they can get down to about 260, they're good.

BMI was actually invented in the 1800s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

sorry I have not been checking this forum lately, but it sounds like you probably already have the info you are looking for.

At GoldCoast we do still have a big boy rig in service for AFF, as well as a little wirey tandem master who has been known to take some large guys, if they are indeed in decent shape and he is felling spunky. As Bigun has stated several times, 10 lbs puts you in a realistic range.

I am not yet an instructor, so I could not make you any promises, but I can say that I have coached a few anvil brothers that have came through our AFF program.

If you need anything, IM me here.

Good luck, it will be the time of your life.

edited to add: I was 240 when I made my first tandem at GoldCoast, with out a second thought from the staff. However, 30lbs is still a big difference.

You can do a Tandem at PST parachute of school of Toronto.

My coach,is one of their tandem masters,
when asked, he replied the largest man he did a tandem with
was 270 lbs (this man also was strong and bulky, not large and flabby, out of shape... i.e. it does make a difference when he lands with a larger passenger- if you look at the first video of mine, in the disabilities forum
you'll see Angus taking me on landing to absorb both of our energy.

Angus is a small guy,propably under 180 lbs WITH his tandem gear!.
Therefore I think it's doable.
'I know we have a couple of students who are well over 6 feet and not small guys...
propably some kind of a BASE or tandem canopy size would give you a place to start....
although meant for different uses,
they manufacture canopies large enough to carry your rigged up weight.

If your fit, and only you know,
then I do not see your size exceptionally as the reason
to stop you from sky diving
-maybe more difficult to find gear...
but life is full of challenges;)
-minna

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

like others have said there is a way you just may have to dig a little to find it. You don't need special gear like a tandem or any shit like that. I have seen Danny Hall from Mullin's dz who weighs 280 w no gear, jump a tiny javelin container all the time, and have heard my old dzo who knew people in the sales business jumping 109 reserves who were in the upper 200's on the scale.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

You don't need special gear like a tandem or any shit like that.

Yea I bet ya he could just walk on to any dz in the world and find student rigs to fit the dude hanging on the rig rack......:S

Why is it we see so many low jump number people in this thread telling this person a bunch of bullshit! How many oversized students have you trained? For one thing it is much easier to find and use a tandem rig, racers are one of the best for just such training of oversized persons who don't/won't fit into a standard student rig found on most dz rig racks. FYI-the racer tandem rig can be set up S/L, IAD, AFF or TDM.

Are there rig that can handle the load under the TSO, yes. Are these the best to use? Not in all cases!

To the OP, if you want to jump there are personal instructors and dz that will work with you and have the equipment to train you. If you would like some names and numbers, of those I know, send a PM.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

You can jump, but it will be EXPENSIVE . You will either need to purchase custom sized gear (~$4500.00)

It doesn't have to be anywhere near that expensive.

You can get a used Mirage, Used PD 300 or Navigator 300 and a R-Max 288 for a decent price. Pop in a used Cypres that is nearing the end of its lifespan and you'll be good to go. And since there's not a huge market for large used containers or used PD300's, I wouldn't be surprised if you could put this rig together for several hundred less than a comporable rig for a more average sized jumper.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

A friend of mine here at Skydive Chicago went through out AFP program last year. He's at least 6'4" and definitely over 250 lbs. His brother is a tandem and AFP instructor here and took him on his tandems and first few AFP jumps and everything was cool.
Unfortunately the "big guy" I'm talking about had some serious heart problems that required open heart surgery and is not likely going to be able to continue skydiving.
He has a really nice big boy Vector rig with canopies for sale that are all less than a year old. If you do decide to get into the sport I can put you in contact with him. You'd probably save big money by buying the rig from him.

well if he jumps mirage student gear he wouldn't have a problem or any of the other above mentioned, so no you would not need to jump a tandem rig for that. So no I don't bet he could just walk up to any dz and find one of those on the rack. That is of course why I told him that he may have to dig a little to find someone or somewhere that would help him out.;)

Actually, you could definitely do a tandem, you'd just have to find a place that would send up a 130 pound tandem master with you. Yeah, rather unlikely. Still, I'm sure you could find a canopy big enough to work with your exit weight, although it may be tough to find it.

The new exit weights for some tandem rigs have been increased to 500 pounds. 270 + 50 pounds gear weight + 180 TM = 500. I've done one tandem his size.

For one thing just how many dz's have mirage for student gear, and second how many dz's around just so happen to have an oversized rig built for a brick shit house. I'm willing to bet that 95% of the dropzones in the US wouldn't have a standard "common" on the rig rack H/C that would fit the dude, all the while 99.9% of the dz's would have a tandem rig, and even those may not fit his build.

To many people in this sport today go around talking all their bullshit to the noobies and they have never trained someone or worked with special case students, yet they seem to think it's just another skydive and any old rig will do. I have seen 4 very oversized students stuffed into "standard student" rigs and it was clear the rigs were to small for them. One dzo blew off all of our concern with the fit and how short the reserve ripcord was and put them up anyway, guess what, all three had reserves fire on climbout and were dragged off the strut by the opening reserve, and these were S/L students.

The 4th one I speak of was BIGFALL who post here and if you want his story try searching his handle.

So in the mean time how about pointing this OP to people who could be of some help instead of talking all kinds of bullshit about what student gear he should be or should not be jumping. There are people in the US who own the RIGHT rigs (ones that fit) and can and will train the guy if he wants to jump!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Is the TSO for total weight or suspended weight?

Total exit weight...

The person,
Gear
Helmet,
Goggles,
Altimeter,
Tennis Shoes,
Socks
Boxers or briefs,
Watch,
Full Bladder,
The whole enchilida.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I have seen Danny Hall from Mullin's dz who weighs 280 w no gear,

Will you give Danno my best please...
Tell him I said this is the year to play with his Xaos.

Thanks...

that is why I said he will have to dig hard to find a place that would help him out. I also agreed with the person who said above that everyone should listen to BIgun and ignore everyone elses advice. Sounds like you have had bad blood with idiots in the past and you should rightfully jump on them for doing so, but I am not one of them and the advice I gave was fairly good if I can say so myself and I was mostly trying to encourage him to not give up his quest to skydive. Have fun and blues.