tallbigguy

Can I really not skydive

and second how many dz's around just so happen to have an oversized rig built for a brick shit house.

Depends on how big his inseam is. The adjustable Telesis and Vector student rigs I've seen will accomodate some pretty big/wide torsos. From personal experience, I've got a pretty long torso and our Telesis' fit fine until I crossed 290. 6'7 with short legs could be stretching it though.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

But hey, what do i know..im just talking shit......

Agreed!:P

I had to lose weight(~80lbs) to do a tandem and keep it off for AFF.

If you've never had a weight or size problem......MYOFB!

B|
Anvil Brother #69

Sidelined with a 5mm C5-C6 herniated disk...
Back2Back slammers and 40yr old fat guys don't mix!

" ... probably some kind of a BASE or tandem canopy size ..."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Let's leave BASE canopies out of this discussion.

However, you are correct in suggesting tandem canopies.
Also consider canopies designed for military HALO and HAHO jumpers. By the time you hang a 100 pound rucksack on a soldier, you are getting into the weight range of tandems.
For example, Canadian Search and Rescue Technicains routinely jump 40+ pound rucksacks into miserable terrain. CSAR Techs jump PD Silhouette 300 mains and PR340 reserves.
Special Forces types jump tandem gear when they deliver 500 bundles.

Oh, and stick with MODERN HALO canopies. We used to have a (2o year old) Para-Flite Goliath 340 in our biggest student rig. It took about five seconds longer to flare than our Manta 290s.
Our last large student flared late and broke an ankle. The rig has been gathering dust ever since.
It did not help that the student's couch-surfing skills were far more current than his power-lifting skills.

As for containers, Relative Workshop published instructions on how to convert Vector II Tandems for large students.

You remind me of my biggest student ever. He was just over six feet tall, 270 pounds, retired rugby player.
The deciding factor was his thighs: ... like tree trunks and solid muscle, therefore low risk of fractures.
I also have to admit that the decision to jump with him was driven by ego, my ego.
Afterwards, I remembered that our reserves only fly gracefully with about 400 pounds of meat hanging underneath them.
How do I know that?
I made 1500 jumps on F-111 tandem mains before ZP tandem mains were introduced. First-generation tandem mains were cut from the same patterns as the reserves we still use today.
Nowadays, my limit is more like 240 for tandem students, but the deciding factor is still their leg muscles. I use leg muscle mass as a crude way to measure bone mass. And I figure that dense leg muscles equal dense leg bones equal low risk of fracture.
The most important question is: "Will this student walk off the DZ this afternoon?"

I'm 6'3", 267lbs and I've done three jumps with no trouble at all. There was no question about my weight whatsoever. They just gave me a big canopy. 325 sq/f if I'm not mistaken. Landing was gentle.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

Best of luck in your endeavor to experience our sport. Since you have access to the internet, pull up the USPA web site and find the Regional Director for your area and contact that person. Regional Directors are here to help each and everyone of us. It is unfortunate that you had to experience some attitude from another forum poster, for that, I can only apologize.

From "SkybabefromSkydiveStlouis"

what stratostar said!!
There are some DZ's that will help you. It may cost a little more that regular sized people but its way worth it!! i hate to say this BUT go to USPA.org and click on already a skydiver and then look up drop zones close to you. Call or e-mail them with your personal info. Most will try to get you in the air.
Good luck. Let us know if ya get up.
JA
"been around, seen some things, slept in dumpsters got high with kings
KR