tallbigguy

Can I really not skydive

I really would like to go skydiving but have been running into problems with the weight restrictions. ((all the places that I have found will not let you go if you are over 220lbs))

The problem that I have is that I am a big guy. I am about 6'7" and weight 270lbs. While I am not a pro athlete I am in good physical condition, I run, do weightlifting and in general am a pretty active person.

Does anyone have any advice on this.

I am willing to travel to anywhere in the Eastern Portion of the United States as this is something that I would really like to do.

Someone closer may be able to help with finding somewhere to jump, but I'll try to explain why you are running into problems!

Unfortunately your physical fitness won't make much difference at your weight. The problem you are encountering is around equipment limits. When the parachute canopy opens, it decelerates the weight suspended underneath it. That puts forces onto all parts of the equipment, the harness you are wearing, the lines up to the canopy and the canopy itself. Equipment is manufactured to withstand the force up to a certain weight suspended under it and it seems that no-one has equipment that is manufactured to the required weight limit.

I don't even know whether there is equipment out there that could take your weight plus that of a tandem master for a tandem, or if you wanted to do an AFF whether there is student gear manufactured to that weight limit. Like I said at the beginning, there may be kit out there for you - keep looking!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Actually, you could definitely do a tandem, you'd just have to find a place that would send up a 130 pound tandem master with you. Yeah, rather unlikely. Still, I'm sure you could find a canopy big enough to work with your exit weight, although it may be tough to find it.
There's no such thing as free will; everything is dictated by the Uncertainty Principle.

Ask around a few dropzones, first, if you haven't already. Talk to the instructors, not just the manifest staff. It's not clear whether you've actually done this or just read their websites. Maybe you'll find some alternatives. There's not only tandem. There's also AFF, IAD and static line options. They may be more accessible to people outside the normal size and weight limits.

Off-hand, I'm not sure of the weight and opening shock limits of all sport rigs out there, but if you're going to be outside of those limits, also, then maybe someone could adapt a tandem harness with a larger sport container on it, although I'm not sure how that would affect the TSO. Being one-off gear, I'd expect the costs to be exceedingly high. How sure are you that you want to do this? Are you $10K sure? More likely a normal sport rig will handle it, but you may have a hard time finding something that will fit someone your height.

Like I said, start by talking to instructors at a few dropzones - preferably larger ones. If travel anywhere is not a problem, the first idea that comes to my mind is Florida. There are a number of large, well-respected dropzones down there like Deland, Z-Hills, Lake Wales, etc. as well as several gear manufacturers including United Parachute Technologies, Mirage Systems and Performance Designs.

One final option that you might like to consider is a wind tunnel. That won't give you the exit, the deployment, the canopy ride or the landing, but it is quite close to the sensation of freefall. There are several tunnels down the east coast. See bodyflight.net for more details on where to find these and what the costs and other requirements may be.

I really would like to go skydiving but have been running into problems with the weight restrictions. ((all the places that I have found will not let you go if you are over 220lbs))

The problem that I have is that I am a big guy. I am about 6'7" and weight 270lbs. While I am not a pro athlete I am in good physical condition, I run, do weightlifting and in general am a pretty active person.

I am willing to travel to anywhere in the Eastern Portion of the United States as this is something that I would really like to do.

There's always AFF.
There's a poster here by the name of Tallguy. PM him. He's either 6'7" or 6'9".
My photos

My Videos

Actually, you could definitely do a tandem, you'd just have to find a place that would send up a 130 pound tandem master with you. Yeah, rather unlikely. Still, I'm sure you could find a canopy big enough to work with your exit weight, although it may be tough to find it.

Here is a place that may jump you, I have known them to take people your size.

www.skydivespaceland.com
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

There's always AFF.

The problem he is going to run into is most all sport harness containers TSO'd for a weight total of 250 LBS, so subtract 20LBS for gear and a jumper needs to be under 230LBS. I know some miltary rigs and some modified tandem rigs can be used for heavier jumpers.
Kirk

The problem he is going to run into is most all sport harness containers TSO'd for a weight total of 250 LBS, so subtract 20LBS for gear and a jumper needs to be under 230LBS. I know some miltary rigs and some modified tandem rigs can be used for heavier jumpers.

This is just so not true. There are a myriad of options for the Anvils of the world.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Fill out your profile so I can help you better, please.
I am so tired of hearing this >250 lbs - can't jump shit.
The bottom line is [you] are not worth the hassle for potentially being one of the many that walk away - but if you don't get the chance, we'll never know.
I'd like the opportunity to help you achieve your first jump.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

There's always AFF.

The problem he is going to run into is most all sport harness containers TSO'd for a weight total of 250 LBS,

Spaceland uses Mirage RTS's which are Cat B and thus do not have a placarded weight limit.

Off the top of my head, Jump Shack, Precision Aero, Mirage and Strong all make sportgear that will get a 300 lbs+ exit weight jumper out the door.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I have a friend who is probably the same stats as you and he did two tandems and did AFF. Tandem masters are always scared of him because of his size, but he did really well with all of the instructions and he was never a problem.

He did a tandem in Monterery California and did his second tandem and AFF in Lodi, California. Just call ahead, check it out, let them know you're athletic (since it makes a little difference on your ability to arch and lift your legs and things like that).

Good luck, you'll love it.

I remember Gold Coast Skydivers in Mississippi had a 'big boy' rig especially for students in your situation. That was 4 years ago, but you might want to call them or, as suggested above, call around or visit your local DZs and see what they say.

Good luck and Blue Skies!
I got nuthin

Listen to BIGUN and talk to some dropzones bro...

I did a tandem and went through AFF and have my own gear..

I'm 6'5" and 252 lbs in good shape and workout everyday...

Keep trying man, if you really want to, there is a way and people will help you...I know how frustrating it can be to NOT be able to do stuff because of height and/or weight...

Just know that you're not alone out there bro...;)

Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Thanks everyone. seriously.

I will definitely be calling the place in Texas and in Mississippi, as well as the wind tunnel. I have been looking around at places on the internet now I know to call.

I don't know about $10K, I could do $1K but before I go spending more than that I would like to jump at least once so that I know that I like it.

For Mississippi - PM anvilbrother
For Texas - PM aggiedave or AFFI
For California - PM atsaubrey or TallGuy
For Oklahoma - PM Bigun
For NC - PM Slotperfect
For Florida - PM skymonkeyone

While some can help directly, others can point you in the right direction. If none of these are close to home, PM me for additional options.

Here is a place that may jump you, I have known them to take people your size.

www.skydivespaceland.com

DONNY!!!! Can you say HANS??

I don't know about $10K,

The $10K comment was based on if you had to acquire a special rig for someone bigger and heavier, which I wasn't sure was going to be the case.

Based on the above responses, there seem like plenty of people around your height and weight that have made it into the sport, so you're not going to need $10K.

Just call some dropzones and talk to some people.

Stop whining, loose some weight fatboy!!!

I don't know if Russ Francis still skydives but he is the biggest guy I ever saw skydiving, retired tight end for SF, but he used to jump a raven III. Don't know what type of container and harness he was using.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward