TheSecret

How are your landings?

Once I downsized a few times, I became monumentally better with my landings. There's nothing fun about underloading. boo hiss! I did slide in this weekend after we changed out my Sabre 2 135 to a loaner Spectre 135. The flare is a bit different, but I'd rather jump that then nothing right now. (my Sabre2 is being sent back to PD for some test jumping). There was a point when I was under 25 jumps where I thought I'd never learn to flare on time. Now it just comes naturally.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

I can sympathize.
I've got almost 200 jumps and there is still that jump every now and then when I feel like a complete fuckup. You know, a few good jumps building up my confidence, and then... BAM! here we go again. Just in time to keep my self confidence low.
I need to get myself one of those canopy courses...

However, I have found that every single time I have to land in a more problematic spot (like landing off on weird terrain on a bad spot) I pull off some of my best landings ever. Weird.

Yep doing the same thing...sometimes I think it has more to do with the consistency of jumping right now and the lack of it due to winter season. I find that when I am really tired I don't complete my flare - then it is time to quit for the day.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I don't understand why some people have difficulty standing up their landings even after 80 jumps. My first stand up landing was jump n° 2 and appart from the occasional exception I stand up my landings on almost all my jumps, perhaps me being a former gymnast makes a difference.

Well, while I'm not a gymnast, I have been able to do flips since I was 7 years old and I've stood up all but 2 of my 400 jumps. The first one was around jump number 50 where I hit some kind of turbulence at about 10 feet that collapsed my canopy. The other was around jump 300 during an accuracy competition where I was too focused on landing on the target than I was about not doing maneuvers too low where I can't recover from them.

Everyone's different. Some people get the whole flaring/timing process sooner than others can, and can adapt to different weather conditions easier than others. I still think canopy skills like being able to fly a predictable pattern and having overall awareness of canopies in the sky are just important, if not more important, than consistent stand up landings. Know how to do a good PLF and try to get someone to tape a handful of your landings. Watching yourself from an outsider's point of view can do wonders for your learning process.

Well, while I'm not a gymnast, I have been able to do flips since I was 7 years old and I've stood up all but 2 of my 400 jumps. The first one was around jump number 50 where I hit some kind of turbulence at about 10 feet that collapsed my canopy. The other was around jump 300 during an accuracy competition where I was too focused on landing on the target than I was about not doing maneuvers too low where I can't recover from them.

Everyone's different. Some people get the whole flaring/timing process sooner than others can, and can adapt to different weather conditions easier than others. I still think canopy skills like being able to fly a predictable pattern and having overall awareness of canopies in the sky are just important, if not more important, than consistent stand up landings. Know how to do a good PLF and try to get someone to tape a handful of your landings. Watching yourself from an outsider's point of view can do wonders for your learning process.

For me it had more to do with completing my flare - even took a canopy control course. Since switching from my spectre to a pilot I have not had the same landing issues - lets just say I am stellar at the plf. What can I say...I am hard headed in more than one way.:S:S:S
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~

I've never been a fan of the so-called "2 stage flare", but rather I thought that you should fly your canopy by the seat of your pants all the way to the ground. Feel what it's doing, plane it out properly, and land softly every time. Oh, and I've remebered what a good friend told me: "your flare isn't done until you're touching yourself." ;)

The best things in life are dangerous.

I've never been a fan of the so-called "2 stage flare", but rather I thought that you should fly your canopy by the seat of your pants all the way to the ground. Feel what it's doing, plane it out properly, and land softly every time. Oh, and I've remebered what a good friend told me: "your flare isn't done until you're touching yourself." ;)

Yep....fly the canopy completely to the ground .....that is when the jump is over - ;)
DPH # 2

I had a couple hundred hours flying airplanes when I did my first jump. I landed on my first jump, stood there for a second, then remembered my PLF. I quickly performed my PLF. I was in the pee gravel on 3 of my first five. Back in the day we had no radio assist so no cheating. Zero P had just come out and the Sabre was hot and scary. My first 0P jump was a Janathan 136. This was the first canopy under 200 that I had ever jumped. I have always had an easy time with canopies even down to the 63VX (at 3.?). I make a lot of jumps on a Fury to, so don't think I'm a swoop only flyer.

I think it has been mentioned already about complacency. I payed a heavy price for my fun. 10 years ago on Thursday, I hit the ground so hard you wouldn't believe it. I will never recover fully from the accident.

The sport and the equipment has come so far. Take a good canopy coarse, take your time. As long as your not hurting yourself your doing OK.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Canopy course is the answer man.:P

yea, might be worth a shot. altough, i dont know how good that money would be put to use.. i need to get more jumps in!

It will be the best money you've ever spent in skydiving. :)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

First my definitions - your's may differ ;):

Confident: Thinking "Oh yes!!" instead of "Oh no!!" when making the final turn before landing.
Consistent: Able to land within 10 meters of the target.

120 jumps on student gear ~ 0.9 lb/sqft - confident after 35-40 jumps, consistent after 50

13 jumps on PD 190 9-cell ~ 1.3 lb/sqft - never confident, crash landings mostly, but quite consistent

300+ jumps Sabre2 170 ~ 1.4 lb/sqft - confident after 3 jumps, consistent after 40 jumps.

The confidence came from learning what flare means on a flareable canopy :)

Everyone gets better at a different pace. One thing is for certain - every landing you walk away from is a good landing.

Take it from me- I'm at the hospital, visiting someone who had a titanium rod put in their leg on a bad tandem landing. And he has almost 800 jumps.

If you're very concerned about having consistant landings on your feet, talk to your instructors. Taking a canpoy course (Scott Miller) may be a wise investment.
http://3ringnecklace.com/