dzjunky77

Finding an Aircraft!

planning a demo???

there lots more to it than just " getting someone with a plane" ...:|

and ANyone who simply HAS a plane, and is willing to let you jump out of it,,, sounds sketchy,, at best...
barnstorming ended ,,, decades ago...[:/]

lots involved in simply "making a jump"

best to search for a dz somewhere nearby,,,,with professional pilots and regular skydiving aircraft...and then make some jumps THERE, so that your abilities can be evaluated and taken into consideration....

safety first,,,, and what the hell,,, safety second, as well..

jmy
a 3914
d 12122

What are the FAA rules? Is it legal to jump out of somebody's C-182 if they let you and whether they nor the plane is a jump plane/pilot?

I'm not a pilot but I remember something about requiring the plane to be certified for flying with the door off, or configured to open up, not out.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hey all!
I'm new to this forum and had a question? I would like to jump in Cody, WY and see they don't have a DZ! Any advice on how to go about getting someone with a plane?? Thanks!

You need to be more clear on what you are asking.

It's actually pretty easy to get a small aircraft (high-wing Cessna for example) legal to drop jumpers....ie. door removal paperwork.

Pilot doesn't need a commercial rating if he's not getting paid.
(good luck on that)

Local fisdo for the paperwork regarding where and when you plan to jump.

I do it all the time....BUT~

Without any info in your Bio...I don't know if doing that would be a good idea.

What do you want to do...fun jump a weekend at the airport or a demo in town?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hell you don't have to take the door off, Just squeeze out and be careful of your handles/ hackey or pullout I've done it numerous times, but i don't recommend it ;)

really the only problems you would run into are needing a commercial rated pilot (if he's getting paid OR receiving any compensation) and you need to file a NOTAM with the FAA (call the Air traffic control that is responsible for your area)

-Chris Martin

Hell you don't have to take the door off, Just squeeze out and be careful of your handles/ hackey or pullout I've done it numerous times, but i don't recommend it ;)

really the only problems you would run into are needing a commercial rated pilot (if he's getting paid OR receiving any compensation) and you need to file a NOTAM with the FAA (call the Air traffic control that is responsible for your area)

If you wanna be legal you need to remove it, with appropriate paperwork IN THE PLANE.

Squeezing out is cool...unless ya get caught, either on the door of by the Feds. ;)

I'm actually gonna drop into my Mothers field with a friend of mine that has 405 jumps! I just wanted to find out how to find a pilot and plane to do this! It can be done I've seen it before! Just wanted some advice!!

Your best bet would probably be to go where the pilots hang out and start asking....try an airport or a brothel.

How many jumps do YOU have?

>If you wanna be legal you need to remove it . . .

Is that really a legal requirement? I used to practice opening doors in a C152 both as a way to practice closing them in flight, and once (as an exercise) to increase drag. Instructor I was working with said there were no regulatory issues doing so.

That's a good point!

idonotknow, other than I was told by the Sacramento FISDO last year the flying with the door open 'or' off required said paperwork.

Since we were going to pull it, I never did check the exact wording.

From AC 105-2c (back of SIM) (emphasis added)

23.AIRCRAFT OPERATING AND
AIRWORTHINESS REQUIREMENTS
A. Procedure. Owners or operators of aircraft listed in
Appendix 2, who are interested in obtaining authoriza-
tion and operating limitations for these aircraft to be
flown with the door open or removed, should forward
a written request to the FSDO having jurisdiction over
the area in which these operations are to be conducted.
The request should contain the following information:
1. Name and address of the registered owner(s) of
the aircraft.
2. Make, model, serial, and registration numbers of
the aircraft.
3. Place where the aircraft is normally based.
4. Reason the aircraft is to be operated with a door
open or removed.
===

Surprised me; I've jumped out of Cessnas with a conventional door on, and even jumped an Aztec or Apache once through the baggage door.
(Note: this is from an Advisory Circular, not a regulation -- hence the "are interested.." and "should.." language.)

HW

From AC 105-2c (back of SIM) (emphasis added)

" who are interested in obtaining authorization"

Obviously if you aren't "interested" then just go do it.

Besides the pilot isn't going to fly with the door "open", he's just going to reclose it because something caused it to become "ajar" while in flight.

It's easier to get forgivness than it is to get permission (tic)

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

its really easy.... make sure the aircraft is approved for flight with doors off. make a note on the running weight and balance that the door has been removed and adjust CG. any competent pilot should be able to do this in about 5 min.

that said if your not in a busy area just pop the door and send it or do what i do... politely close the door and wave to the heli pilot as you leave the skids

Actually, if the pilot is receiving anything that has value then he has to have a commercial license. Basically it has to be his plane and he would have to pay for everything. So unless you can find a pilot that will fly you up for free and drop you out of his own plane he needs to have a commercial rating.
-Chris Martin

Actually, if the pilot is receiving anything that has value then he has to have a commercial license. Basically it has to be his plane and he would have to pay for everything. So unless you can find a pilot that will fly you up for free and drop you out of his own plane he needs to have a commercial rating.

Interesting actual case study HERE.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.