FallingDuck

Buying a used main.

> How many jumps is too many on an old rig?

In most cases it depends entirely upon the condition of the rig. With regular replacement of worn components it can last forever. Of course, eventually you'll get to the point where the entire rig has been replaced, but that's definitely an option. I know several people who have gotten the harness replaced.

Are you referring to the parachute itself? That depends on the UV damage and how many holes/patches it has in it and what not. I have a Sabre 170 DOM 92. It has 2 patches in it but otherwise seems to be ok.

I asked my rigger what he thought while he was doing a cypres install and reserve repack and he said, "yea it should be alright"

Well I am still here so. I picked it up for 500 bucks and it looks and flies great. Still pretty crinkly for 16 years old. I figure I only need it for 100 or so jumps, then I will probably pass it on to my up and coming friend who jumps with me so she can start her rig.

> Are you referring to the parachute itself?

No, the rig.

A parachute made of your run of the mill ZP will last about 1500 jumps. At around 2000 jumps your likelihood of blowing it up starts going up. They need new lines every 500 jumps and other assorted maintenance (replacement of broken poker chips, patches etc.) Time, as in age, isn't as important other than for design (i.e. a Monarch may not open as nicely as you want.)

Also, some fabric colors seem to be worse than others. The old PD 'silver' fabric was awful.

The F111 silver? Yeah that was terrible! For some reason I swear that color even smelled bad! No shit.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Are you referring to the parachute itself? That depends on the UV damage and how many holes/patches it has in it and what not. I have a Sabre 170 DOM 92. It has 2 patches in it but otherwise seems to be ok.

Lots of equipment spends years in cool, dry closets.

Years passed between my first rig's original owner made the last of his 80 jumps and sold it, my Stiletto (DOM 94) has been in a bag since 2003 apart from two Mr. Bills and a couple jumps I made recovering from an injury, I doubt I've put 200 jumps on my Monarch (DOM 92) since 1999 (nearly all wingsuit which I don't do much of).