trimike76

Question on Getting Back Into Skydiving....

Hi everyone....I started skydiving in 2002 while I was stationed down at Fort Bragg, NC. However, due to my busy schedule of deployments with the military, I havn't jumped since the summer of 2004. I now have a job that will allow me to skydive, but I wasn't sure what I had to do to be fully certified to jump on my own again. Does anyone know what I have to do? I was thinking that I would definately have to have a coach jump or two, but thought that there might be more regs that I have to abide by....thanks for your help!

~Mike

PS. I live in Annapolis Maryland, so if anyone knows of some good places to go in the local area, I'd appreciate your advise on that as well!

Hi everyone....I started skydiving in 2002 while I was stationed down at Fort Bragg, NC. However, due to my busy schedule of deployments with the military, I havn't jumped since the summer of 2004. I now have a job that will allow me to skydive, but I wasn't sure what I had to do to be fully certified to jump on my own again. Does anyone know what I have to do? I was thinking that I would definately have to have a coach jump or two, but thought that there might be more regs that I have to abide by....thanks for your help!

~Mike

PS. I live in Annapolis Maryland, so if anyone knows of some good places to go in the local area, I'd appreciate your advise on that as well!

Go to the DZ where you are considering starting up at and ask the instructors.

I was out for 20 years and came back. Skydiving instructors (99.9% of the time) are the best people on the planet. They, and all skydivers, are why I came back.

Welcome back:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for your reply.....I'm sure that's the best bet. Just thought that someone might know the USPA regulations and requirements. What did you end up having to do to get back into it, if you don't mind me asking?

Bring your log book and (as another stated) any license you have. Proof of military experience helps too.

Take all of this with you and ask the instructors.

Once again, welcome back. :)
Abraham Lincoln

Welcome back! The skies are calling.

Yeah, your question has already been answered but I thought I'd add my opinion, too.

Being the conservative type, I'd go through the entire FJC first. The way my brain works, nearly 4 years is time enough for it to file a lot of info in storage places that are no longer accessible.
:D:D
YMMV

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Thanks....that's probably not a bad idea. While I've been jumping with the military I do think that it would be a good idea to just have the refresher before heading up again under different conditions. I really wish it hasn't been so long!.....but that is the way life goes sometimes. I'm hoping that I can find something relatively close to this area so I'm not travelling so far to jump!....thanks again for taking the time to write. Have a good one....

Oh yea....forgot to mention that I did have a license and just over 100 jumps prior to having to take off for work. I was very into skydiving before it had to stop for a few years....

http://uspa.org/publications/SIM/2008SIM/section5.htm#52b

(someone make this sticky, please)
There's what you could do and what you must do. USPA does not require anything (see the BSR's) regarding getting back. It recommends, though. So as long as you have your license, you don't actually have to do anything beyond being current with USPA membership, in date reserve and getting on manifest. Any advice beyond that is of the practical, wise nature. (Unless it's neither.) So a FJC, or a coach jump are wide suggestions, but you don't HAVE to do either to be legal, just to be safe. Good luck and welcome back.

There's what you could do and what you must do. USPA does not require anything (see the BSR's) regarding getting back. It recommends, though. So as long as you have your license, you don't actually have to do anything beyond being current with USPA membership, in date reserve and getting on manifest. Any advice beyond that is of the practical, wise nature. (Unless it's neither.) So a FJC, or a coach jump are wide suggestions, but you don't HAVE to do either to be legal, just to be safe. Good luck and welcome back.

Of course, many DZs will take those "shoulds" and interpret them in their DZ rules as "musts" so depending on the DZ at which the OP does his first jump back, he may be required to do the recurrency activities recommended for his license.

Sounds like he's leaning towards them, anyway, but I just wanted to point out that what USPA recommends and what individual dropzones require is often not the same thing, nor does it have to be.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

How many jumps did you have and what was your license, if any? This will largely dictate what you need to do.

The reality is that most DZ's will require you, regardless of jumps or license, to sit through a first jump course and make at least one jump with an instructional rating holder given you've had a 4 year layoff.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

How many jumps did you have and what was your license, if any? This will largely dictate what you need to do.

The reality is that most DZ's will require you, regardless of jumps or license, to sit through a first jump course and make at least one jump with an instructional rating holder given you've had a 4 year layoff.

I was out for 20 years. I was surprised what I remembered and felt comfortable with. I was even MORE amazed and shocked at how I felt like I was in that environment (again) for the first time:$

We have a great exciting playground. It is unique and can at times, be overwhelming. It is a place to be taken lightly or underestimate its power on the mind
Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for all of your responses! When I had to stop jumping, I held a B Liscense and had over 100 jumps. I still have everything as far as log books, gear, etc. Just need to renew my USPA membership and find a local place to jump! Sounds like it won't be too painful based on what you said and, yes, I am one who considers safety at the top of my list, so I will definately enroll in a FJC or get some good coaching just to make sure that I'm coving all of the bases. No life is worth a few $$!! Thanks again for taking the time to post.....definately looking forward to getting back up there. I jump with the Army, but as you know, it's not the same!

~Mike

I stopped jumping in 2001 with about 20 jumps. When i came back in 2005 I did FJC, AFF 1, 3, 5, and 7. Then did my SDU classes. But was worth it for the safety reasons, but i did not have a license when i left. Glad you are back. :)

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

There is a new DZ opening this spring in the Bel Air/Churchville MD area, it is about 30-40 min north of Baltimore. They are supposed to open around April 1st. They don't have a website yet but here is their myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=310353696

For you, Kim.

To the OP, welcome back. I spent almost 2 years playing in the sand myself, so I know a little about getting back in the air. As a military parachutist you know about airborne refresher. I know because I ran them for 13 of my 18 years in airborne units. Take that as one end of the spectrum. Now you can take Kims advice, The advice of a very experienced current jumper "uncurrent" instructor. The advice he gave you is sound. Use your best judgment. Yes judgment. As instructors we teach behaviors and responses, not judgement. As a Paratrooper and soldier in harms way you have learned the responsibilities and value of life. I learned in a small city west of Baghdad some might recognize the name "Fallujia" When I came home the first time my recurrent training was a little less than what is considered prudent. I lived. Why? Because I know the value of rehearsals. PCIs' In case our civilian friends are not aware of the term it is: Pre Combat Inspections.

Welcome back and Blue Skies :)
"whatcha doin with that lawn mower blade?"

Absolutely....I feel completely confident that I havn't lost any of the mindset or even much of the skills. I just want to be sure that I'm safe, well rehearsed, and confident that I'm back in the saddle. I don't have so much pride that I can't take a little instruction and a friendly reminder on doing the right things.....all part of the "PCIs". Thanks for your reply and as soon as I can break free of work and find a good drop zone, I plan on heading back up to 14k! It's great to see that there is so much support in the sky diving community. NC was a big community of sky divers and I miss that...now that I'm in DC I just don't quite see the groups like I did down in NC.

I also have been out for a few years, 5 in April, because of an injury that I only recently had fixed. My timeline to be jumping again is late May/early June '08. The thing I'm looking to do, besides physical therapy, is go to Safety Day to refresh my safety knowledge, hit the windtunnel to test my body strength and positioning, practice my packing, do my recurrency jump.

Welcome back, trimike!

SA B|

Please do not rely on this mindset to keep you safe.

:P Actually, the best way to do this is to find a DZ and ask to jump. Try to hide that one has been off, they might miss it. First, insist that you know/remember everything and that it's real easy. Be sure to relate the mad skillz one had back then and if they try to go through any emergency procedures or refresher training, interrupt them frequently to clearly demonstrate mastery of knowledge. Ignore the instructor on the way up and try to make fun of the other jumpers by pretending to tell them how to do their skydives. In general, pose and be loud and complain about the student gear. Repeatedly note how many jumps and license one once had and be sure to state how these were extra good. Try to correct the instructor on little things like grammar and delivery - they like that.

The above can be because the jumper is arrogant, or just a bit eager to get back into the sport. Important to just shut up, listen, smile, and relax.

Nothing more fun or frust than watching an instructor take an old timer through retraining.

Seriously, I had a retrain about 10years ago after a 4+ year layoff. I simply told the instructor that I'd do whatever they instructed, listened carefully, wore whatever helmuts or equipment they thought was appropriate. There's nothing to lose with this approach - if one is a natural and gets right back into it, then there is no harm. If not, and needs the training, then they got the proper retrain. And either way, you come across as someone relaxed and willing to listen - you make friends faster.

(I was lucky, it was like riding a bicycle, 2 seconds off the step and it was like coming home. But, you just don't know until the word GO which kind of a person you'd be). I've seen both. Strangely enough, the quiet ones that ALLOW themselves to be retrained are usually the quickest to get back up to skill. The ones that take the know it all attitude usually flail about a bit and then take up solo freeflying for the next year until others will jump with them in any discipline.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants