LegallyGirl

wha ur parent's reaction?

when u make first skydive tandem or aff without know before tell them?

My grandmother was more excited than my mother. But both thought is was cool. And I did not tell them because I did not feel like it, not because I was afraid of their reaction. Overall (not that this is the proper thread for this debate), I feel that you should tell your parents about doing things like this, no matter how they feel about it.

I was 25 when I did my first tandem. Mom's deceased but my dad knows I'm not the type to rush into things without weighing the risks versus the reward...so he figured "well he's a grown adult..whatever he wants to do."

He wasn't surprised when my brother got into it a few months back.

My wife and I did our first tandem back in October 2007. I didn't tell my parents because it was an anniversary present to my wife (something she's always wanted to do) and I wasn't sure if mom would let it slip - she's done it before! As soon as we got home, we called all parents, and to my susprise, mom was actually JEALOUS of me for having the guts to go! So it turned out good...
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." Da Vinci

Told 'em immediately after getting past the medical examination and signing up for my FJC.
They gave each other an incredulous look and a big smile and have wholeheartedly supported me ever since.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I did tell mine in advance and they didn't like the cost factor (I'm student) but they don't really mind it as long as I don't get into too serious money problems.

When I mentioned BASE they weren't as happy anymore. They live in Switzerland so they hear what happens in LB from time to time.

My folks knew I was going to jump. But I was 42. At 69 my dad did his first jump and wants to go again. Mom would go too but the doc says no. My grandmother is 96 and says if she was just a little younger she would try a tandem also.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I think I told them when I got back from a week's vacation that I had been doing a static line course. Not a problem. They show up at the dropzone every now and then when they know I'm there (her mom lives in the neighbourhood).

When my then girlfriend and I got motorcycle riding lessons, my father joined us for the first ones.

What could possibly be the problem? Why would anyone think we have a death wish? We're wearing a parachute, aren't we?
Johan.
I am. I think.

when u make first skydive tandem or aff without know before tell them?

I was 38 when I did my tandem, so they weren't gonna say much to stop me. That being said, my mother knew about it ahead of time and gave me the guilt trip for a while (wouldn't let me borrow her truck to go to the DZ because she "didn't want to be responsible for my death") and my father still doesn't know about it.
"Analyze this!"
http://www.myspace.com/poppyfunk

Both of my parents died years before I took my first jump. I have an uncle who hasn't been particularly fond of my jumping, although his one an only skydive occurred during WWII when the B-17 he was piloting was shot down over what was then Czechoslovakia, so I can't said say I blame him.

Bob

After I had about 6 jumps, I told my dad. I was 18. He gave me all sorts of shit and "or-else" threats, but when push came to shove it was about his fear of the risk of my death - of course. I reminded him that when he was a year younger than I was then, his mother co-signed him into the Marine Corps, where, during boot camp, he watched 2 men blown up by a grenade in the bunker just next to his. You chose your passage, Dad, and I chose mine; so spare me the double standard. That was the last he and I ever discussed it.

We all hid my skydiving from my mother. I'd been jumping for about 15 years before I finally told her.

I called my parents on the way to the DZ just hours before making my first tandem. They were not happy and quite fanatical, but were more worried than angry thinking that I had a 50/50 chance of plummeting to my death that day. Of course the sport is dangerous, but obviously they were WAY off target with the little knowledge they had about skydiving.

That was over 6 months ago... Now, I have a savings account piling up to put me through AFF and get my first rig in about a year from now (Spring 09'). I've been slowly giving subtle reminders to my parents that this is really going to happen in a year. It has taken 6 months to get them to just be "OK"...not happy, but barely "OK" enough to not argue, guilt, or get angry when I mention skydiving.

I personally feel that they have came to terms mainly because I have shown responsibility and that I am safety conscience by making the decision to wait to begin my AFF until I'm close to finishing grad school in a year. This way I will have time to spend jumping regularly.

Though your parents may react differently or perhaps similar, I feel they do deserve to know your plans. Provide them with some information in an e-mail or send them links to last year's USPA safety statistics. Just a few ideas...

Took my li sister up for tandem about 3 weeks ago... Mom always been very cool about it!! Dad, is a different story, he likes to play the blame game and the " what happens if both of you go in??" but all in all he saw my face after a couple of jumps and they're no denying that his son was extremely at peace with himself for the first time in a very long timeB|

Today is a better day!!!

All I can say is, don't get married and have kids! My wife tends to obsess at times as to life without husband and daddy for our two kids (5 and 4). I'd hate to think of those two boys growing up without their daddy, but then I don't think I'm going to kill myself doing this. Angie also worries a lot about me getting current and flying again.

I never gave much of a worry about what my parents thought. They taught me to be independent, and I was 25 when I started.

Live your life, and let those who don't agree pound sand.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

After my tandem, my mom was a little mad but she still thought it was cool. She made me promise never to do it again. Then I did AFF without her knowing and she found out about it and got very very very mad. We didnt speak for a little while because of it. But now she got used to it and doesnt mind. She always tells me to be careful when I walk out the door.

my mom always does that. so used my grandmother to do! :)
and she even notices when we have an incident that goes completely un-noticed by the general public..

my mommy's great!
:)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

They were not thrilled.

Then, after my tandem, I decided to pursue Static Line, and they were really not thrilled. They did not understand it and it took about a year to get them to actually come spend a day at the dropzone and see what was going on there.

Then they got to meet my instructors, coaches and friends. They got to watch people land all day, and we barbecued. I think I only made 2 jumps all day because I was spending time explaining things and just hanging out with them.

They got in the car to leave just as a caravan load opened above us, and my dad hurried my mom & sister back out of the car so they could watch yet another load come down :)
Mom is now thrilled that I sold my motorcycle to buy gear and even though she'd rather have me doing neither, she's glad I'm skydiving instead of riding my motorcycle to California every summer...

Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

I'd hate to think of those two boys growing up without their daddy,

It's why I took a 16 year hiatus.

I don't think I'm going to kill myself doing this.

None of us do. Most of us are right.

Live your life, and let those who don't agree pound sand.

Right on, bro. There's only one shot at this (unless you're Hindu). You can spend your life just trying not to die, or you can die while living life.
Door #2, please.