ShaunaFlys

Mom trying to start skydiving

So, I wanted opinions from other skydiving parents out there. I am planning on doing my AFF training this summer, my dz opens in mid-April, and then venturing to get licensed. But my number one concern is balancing my family life. I have a 4 year old daughter and I was just trying to see if other parents had ways of not leaving the family behind but still actively skydiving as much as they wanted too. I also work full time so it's not like I can hang at the dz while she's at daycare. Any input would be great, also do a lot of dz care if you have your kids there? I realize that this would be a better question to ask my dz directly but seeing as how they aren't open yet.

Maybe I'll teach her how to pack my chute at the tender age of 4. HA!!!

I have a 4 year old daughter and I was just trying to see if other parents had ways of not leaving the family behind but still actively skydiving as much as they wanted too.

If you're an involved and attentive parent, you'll never skydive as much as you want to. ;)

I skydive every other weekend when my kids are with their dad. My jump numbers are lower than other people who have been in the sport as long as I have, but I don't care. My kids are still my first priority and always will be.

Since your daughter is still pretty young, do you have someone to take care of her in case you get hurt? Can your family still get by if you aren't earning any income due to an injury? I'm not trying to be a downer, these are just things you should get in order before you start.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I think that is what I would do, go to the dz when she's with her dad or if grandma is watching her.

Since your daughter is still pretty young, do you have someone to take care of her in case you get hurt? Can your family still get by if you aren't earning any income due to an injury? I'm not trying to be a downer, these are just things you should get in order before you start.

Well, I will have life insurance to cover her financially in case a fatal accident occurs... eek... that would be really crappy. I would always be concerned about who could take care of her, since nobody can do it better than me :) HA!! but her father is around and grandmas, etc. And I do have a nest egg in case I got injured and couldn't work. Other than that I just plan on making conservative/responsible decisions once I go to get my own gear and not take big "chances" in the air.

I feel like I will be a better mom because I will be happier because I am doing something that I love. Does that make sense?:S And I know I won't be able to do it as much as I'd want and that's okay.

Other than that I just plan on making conservative/responsible decisions once I go to get my own gear and not take big "chances" in the air.

Even the most conservative pilots can still have accidents. It's hard to take care of kids when you are on crutches, I know this from experience. It's good that you have a back-up plan.

I feel like I will be a better mom because I will be happier because I am doing something that I love. Does that make sense?

Yes, it makes perfect sense. I'm just trying to make sure you're looking at the big picture. We get a lot of newbies on here who just think about the positive aspects of the sport and not the negatives.

Good luck with your training. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Skymama has said it all i think - you will probably find after a while you get a bit edgy when you see other people racking up jumps so fast but your kids must take priority!! Some people do the "DZ kids" things where they take their kids to the DZ every weekend so they can jump... my daughter loves the DZ, but I also feel she's a kid and needs to do real kid things too on the weekends. I'm lucky that my husband is very supportive too.
You may find it a bit difficult at first but you will find a balance where you can both enjoy the sport (and yes it probably will make you a happier person to be around!) and your family.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

From first hand experience, you will have a rough time getting the number of jumps in that you want. I have a 10 month old which comes to the DZ with me. There is usually someone that is gracious enough to watch her while I catch a quick load or I set up someone to watch her during the day if I am training with a team. I love bringing her to the DZ because she gets to interact with so many people.

If you bring your child to the DZ and expect to jump, make sure that there are responsible people there that you can trust completely!
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

I've seen a few people that bring a sitter out to the DZ to watch their kid/s. (Just an idea)
When my kids were babies it was easy to find someone to hold them while my husband and I jumped. When they got a bit bigger my husband and I took turns jumping. I'd watch the kids (4 kids by the way) while he made a jump and vis versa. When they got older and could hold their own it got a bit easier but then they began to get their own lives too (birthday parties, friends, sports, band, school stuff) and that made jumping hard at times. You have to let them have their time too! Now that they are teenagers, we just leave them at home most of the time.

I haven't got as many jumps as I "should have" over the years, but I have a balanced life and great kids. I wouldn't trade that for any amount of jumps. Jumping doesn't have to be a competition to see how many jumps you have or what team you can be on. When you have a family sometimes just making a jump or two is good enough. Then you go home, make dinner and read bed time stories. That is good too.

...And I do have a nest egg in case I got injured and couldn't work...

I too am not trying to be a downer, but... Have you priced out the cost of going all the way through AFF & then buying gear (new and/or used)??... and not just a rig, jumpsuits, altimeters, helmet, gear bag, beer, etc... unless you've got a really good income (or some really good alimony or child-support payments coming in from an X), if you get bit by the skydiving bug, say "bye bye" to that nest egg.

I've seen a few people that bring a sitter out to the DZ to watch their kid/s. (Just an idea)

Just me, but a Drop Zone is an adult playground! The staff and other jumpers are not responsible for your kids safety nor for their corruption if exposed to some of the "debauchery" that can go on about a typical DZ.

IMO... Leave The Kids (& dogs) At Home!
:D

If you're an involved and attentive parent, you'll never skydive as much as you want to. ;)

Absolutely.

I skydive every other weekend when my kids are with their dad. My jump numbers are lower than other people who have been in the sport as long as I have, but I don't care. My kids are still my first priority and always will be.

I've bounced this idea around in my head a lot over the past year. It is a little depressing to see "kids" who start their AFF and have their "A" in hand a month later (by the way, I'm 39 in case my profile picture is misleading). Meanwhile, I keep plodding along my skydiving pathway which is very different from most rabid beginners. It is very much a cerebral activity for me, and not just an adrenaline score. That has helped a lot for me. Just one jump will last me for quite a while. Kind of like the difference between someone who loves really good Scotch and a crack addict.

Another thing that I've had to consider is whether or not I would want my 5-year old present at the DZ, under someone else's watchful eye, if I were to bounce. I think about what they would tell her, what she would ask, and how it would have an effect on her life from that moment forward. The carnival atmosphere is great, as long as you understand the inherent danger of your activity and are comfortable with how you have presented that information to your child.

I left the DZ yesterday without jumping. Something inside me just said that it wasn't the day for me to jump. I've done this on my last two visits to the DZ, and I've been absolutely okay with not jumping. Sure, it costs me about $20 just to drive to the DZ, but I'm only going up if I'm comfortable with the situation. As I was driving out the main driveway leaving the DZ, there was a crowd gathered around a jumper that had just had an injurious "landing". There were two small children about 25 yards away from the gathering watching what was happening. I couldn't help but think that the jumper could have been one of their parents. Then, I put myself and my child into that scenario. No thanks. She still gets upset that our Kittee died two years ago.

Jump because it gives you something that you can't get from your daily routine, but be honest about the risks and rewards. I love it, and envy the "kids" that jump every other load all weekend long, but my rewards are balanced with my risks. It is fun to watch them though.

- David

p.s. - There is no expiration date on your experiences and your will always own the emotional high that you got on your first jump no matter how many times you jump after that day.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

I started this sport in the 70's and jumped a fair amount. After a few years, along came the kids, and I was forceed to jump much less. Brought a camper to make it a "family" outing... that lasted a couple years. When the kids got a little older, it got tougher. So, I took a break from the sport to raise my kids. Now, the youngest is in college and I am again jumping. What it all boils down to is, DO YOU WANT TO JUMP OR NOT? If the spirit is willing, you'll find a way. Just make sure it's not at the expence of the children.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."