PLFXpert

Jeb Corliss to Demonstrate Live on Today Show Tomorrow

At the beginning of the video it says "he'll demonstrate his skills live".

Does not say he is doing the actual chutelss jump.

So my bet is that we are going to see a winguit jump as a teaser to get more attention to the "planned" chuteless jump.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Sorry,if this sounds slightly off-topic ...
... but it makes more sense to do the first few chuteless jumps off a short cliff and perfect the landing ramp, before taking it to terminal.

I really hate to be pessimistic, but after seeing the animation I think he may only have one attempt on that... :|

... but it makes more sense to do the first few chuteless jumps off a short cliff and perfect the landing ramp, before taking it to terminal.

I am going to guess that the trajectory calculation is a function of speed. The calculation for sub-terminal would have speed as a function of time and so would be way harder than for terminal.

I am going to guess that the trajectory calculation is a function of speed. The calculation for sub-terminal would have speed as a function of time and so would be way harder than for terminal.

That, and in ordr to have the most control, wouldnt it be beneficial to gain as much speed as you can to be able to fly the suit to its full potential?

Still, that animation with the tube ramp looks very mmmm... challenging.
Remster

.... somethin' about the guy.... that i don't like.....

seems kinda like a spoiled kid, who needs to "be first"... not only in any sort of accomplishment, but also in terms of getting attention.....

does he have the requisite 'respect' for all those who came before HIM.....?????
or for the sports of B A S E and Wingsuiting???....

i'm NO expert at either discipline, but a lot hangs in the balance of this supposed, 'event'...:|

jmy

hope HE's a PLF expert! ;)

I don't think I'd want to watch it happen, but I'll be happy to watch the video knowing beforehand he was successfull.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

hope HE's a PLF expert! ;)

I don't think I'd want to watch it happen, but I'll be happy to watch the video knowing beforehand he was successfull.

Hell, I'd watch it just to see the carnage factor. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

.... somethin' about the guy.... that i don't like.....

seems kinda like a spoiled kid, who needs to "be first"... not only in any sort of accomplishment, but also in terms of getting attention.....

does he have the requisite 'respect' for all those who came before HIM.....?????
or for the sports of B A S E and Wingsuiting???....

i'm NO expert at either discipline, but a lot hangs in the balance of this supposed, 'event'...:|

jmy

I don't know the guy myself, but I will guess that he has the requisite respect for the trail-blazers that went before him, but maybe not so much for the followers that demand respect purely for the fact that they have been around longer.
From what I can see Corliss is an attention whore who uses the attention to further his goals; he is one of those guys who needs to be out there on the bleeding edge, like Boenish, like De Gayardon, like Cani and Jean-Albert. I may or may not enjoy the company of the guy if I met him (I am guessing the intensity of the guy would not allow indifference) but I admire his accomplishments and envy his drive to be the best.

I really hate to be pessimistic, but after seeing the animation I think he may only have one attempt on that... :|

How many shots would you expect him to have at it??? :D

In answer to the road rash inquiry, just for clarification, the enormous cost has very little to do with construction of the ramp. It is actually transporting and application of the 17 tons of Crisco and KY to the ramp that create the expense.

seems kinda like a spoiled kid, who needs to "be first"...

Who wants to be second? Some have a drive and some do not. Why is he any different than any other pioneer in any discipline, skydiving or otherwise? Do you think that Neil Armstrong was just sitting at home after a day at the coal mine and someone called and said "hey, do you want to walk on the moon?" People work their entire lives to be the "first" when that is their passion.

He's not a bad guy. Some people are going to like him and some are not. What is a fact, though, is that he has a set of balls that far out size 99% of ours. People can argue about the publicity, but he's growing interest and gaining investment...that sounds like a reasonable business decision if he is to actually try and pull this off.

I can guarantee you that he doesn't discount the impact (no pun intended) that this jump can have. But we are sitting here thinking about our sport when he has his life to worry about. It's few people who have the strength and determination to stand up and really try to accomplish something of this magnitude, especially with so much negativity flying around about it.

-S

valid points

i shall stand 'admonished' about my earlier comments.....:|
i was only going from my 'gut instincts', based on what i have seen of him in the media...

and yes... i WILL recognize and hell, even admire what it takes to pull this off.....

It's not my cup of tea... but then i have always stayed well down, inside the envelope, merely peeking out from the top...and have always dared NOT... to flirt with the edges,, and certainly never was one for Pushing It.:|

my intent was not to be negative,,,,
i'll say in this post what i forgot to say in the earlier one...

"Good Luck...Best Wishes for Success...".

jmy

p.s i have NO problem with being second...or third for that matter SBS, as long as I did my best and stayed true to my challenge...
Please don't misinterpret that , to mean I have no drive...awesomeness can take on many forms.....right???;)

p.s i have NO problem with being second...or third for that matter SBS, as long as I did my best and stayed true to my challenge...
Please don't misinterpret that , to mean I have no drive...awesomeness can take on many forms.....right???[Wink]

Agreed, and frankly, I don't have a problem being second either. I didn't mean to say that one has NO drive if they don't mind being second, third, etc, just that it's not the drive that makes them have to be first.

I like to push limits a bit, but this is far beyond my cup of tea as well.

If he pulls it off, it will likely be one of the coolest things I ever see. But in the words of a friend of mine, if he misses that hole, I'd hate to be his underwear.

;)

I may or may not enjoy the company of the guy if I met him (I am guessing the intensity of the guy would not allow indifference) but I admire his accomplishments and envy his drive to be the best better him than me.

:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

How high is the concepted ramp height?

I'm not a base jumper, but I would think that with a base rig and with a fast or no slider and a high enough ramp, he could potentially deploy a parachute at the ramp height, if he missed it.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I would also strongly suspect that he would know before the height of the ramp if he were going to hit it or not. That said, there will be SOME point of no return.

Do you think that Neil Armstrong was just sitting at home after a day at the coal mine and someone called and said "hey, do you want to walk on the moon?" People work their entire lives to be the "first" when that is their passion.

He's not a bad guy. Some people are going to like him and some are not. What is a fact, though, is that he has a set of balls that far out size 99% of ours. People can argue about the publicity, but he's growing interest and gaining investment...that sounds like a reasonable business decision if he is to actually try and pull this off.

Interesting points.

I agree in this scenario I have no issues with him "going for it" and am curious to see how it turns out.

Perhaps I'm far too analytical to comprehend, but Neil Armstrong's "first" had some sort of practicality for future reference. I fail to see what landing a particular wingsuit without a parachute has to the same.

Also, if it's "growing interest and gaining investment" in the sport you're after, I might have chosen a different spokesmodel (even if he/she were doing the exact same stunt) for various reasons--or at least trained him in audience relatability.

But again--in this case--whatever floats his boat. I'll definitely tune in to see the stunt whenever it happens. :)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.