showithers

Anyway At All To Go Skydiving Under 16

My 13 year old son has just been dying to go skydiving; it's all that he has been thinking about for a very long time. I can usually find him at the computer looking at websites related to skydiving, (including this one) and I want to take him so bad!
Is there anyway at all that I could legally take him skydiving?

Your profile is empty, so it's hard to give proper advice to you.

1) In the U.S. it's 18 y/o unless some places (Las Vegas) are said to take them at 16 with parents written consent.

2) If it's outside the U.S. you might have better luck as their laws may not be as strict.

3) My advice is to let him dream and grow his 'book' knowledge, while taking him to a wind tunnel to gain the body skill. It's expensive, but you'd satisfy his longing to 'fly' until he's of proper age.

**Google "Wind Tunnel Team Future" and read about how their parents are footing the bill so their kids can do something fun. Some parents let their kids do soccer or little league baseball. These parents take their kids to the wind tunnel.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

My 13 year old son has just been dying to go skydiving; it's all that he has been thinking about for a very long time. I can usually find him at the computer looking at websites related to skydiving, (including this one) and I want to take him so bad!

If you're in the USA, 16 for Static Line, and 18 for other methods, as far as I know.

Now if your son's father was a Drop Zone Owner, he could go much earlier and keep it quiet. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hint: Non USPA dropzones ;) Some state laws require 18. But I know that the FAA has no age restrictions.
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

In Belgium you can start jumping from the year you turn 16. I think in France you can start jumping at the age of 15, with the consent of a doctor. I met a kid once who's father was a skydiving instructor and he wanted to go skydiving like his dad. When he turned 15 they went to france but the french doctor didn't give him permission because he was to small for his age. Had the bones of a 13 year old or something.
He was pretty bummed out...:P

So come to Europe to jump, you can even drink beer to celebrate your first jump, but ask somebody to drive you around in a car because you have to be 18 to do that :D

Hint: Non USPA dropzones ;) Some state laws require 18. But I know that the FAA has no age restrictions.

Sounds liike it might work, but do you know of any non-USPA dropzones in the U.S?

[url]

Sounds liike it might work, but do you know of any non-USPA dropzones in the U.S?

i am sorry but i dont know of any personally. try searching this site and google.;). I personally know of a US jumper who did his first tandem at 9, and started skydiving at 14 or 16. Still active and not even 18 yet.
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

Hint: Non USPA dropzones Some state laws require 18. But I know that the FAA has no age restrictions.

Yeah, but the TM/TI still signed a contract with the manufacturer not to take anyone less than 18.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You would need to speak to the DZ owner, the Safety and Traing advisor and the Instructor. The application then needs to go before the USPA Board of Directors to be voted on. They typically only hear underage requests for things like Make a Wish or other organizations where the person will not be alive long enough to legally jump. These are case by case basis only and usually only approved if there is enough evidence to make it worth the increased liability risk to the USPA and the tandem equipment manufactors.

Honestly if you are in the US just go to a Wind Tunnel until they are 16, its easiest for everyone that way.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thank you everyone for your posts!

The only problem with going to a wind tunnel is that the closet one is about five hours away...

Paraclete XP is the most awesome wind tunnel around. Not only new, but the largest SkyVenture one in operation at this time. Often our world class competitors hold clinics and competitions there. I bet if you called them in advance they could give you a schedule of upcoming events. That way your son could meet some of the best in the world when he goes the distance to get a taste of the sky.

Just a thought. :)http://skyventure.com/tunnellocations/default.aspx?ID=299d98a1-4657-4646-a469-1acbf33798e3

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

There is no Federal law regarding the minimum age to skydive. I do not know about individual state laws. That said, there is a lot of pressure outside of the law! As said, most instructors have signed a contract with the gear manufactures (maybe not if using Eclipse, or foreign gear). Just about every DZ requires a signed waiver, and you have to be the "legal age of contract" for it to be binding. Some DZs may allow 16 year olds with parents signed consent, but those "contracts" are generally worth less than the paper their written on.

If you can't drive 5 hours to a wind tunnel, then I guess Europe is out of the question as well. He will more than likely have to wait until he's 18.

Well, you could learn to skydive, make 500 jumps over 2 years, get your Tandem Instructor rating, buy a tandem rig, buy, or "find" an airplane, and take him yourself. You could do it in 2 years, and somewhere between $20,000 and $30,000 (if you don't buy your own airplane. Then figure a little more $.)

Oh!! Don't forget to check with him mom!!!

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Sure. Provided that you comply with FAA regulations, there's no law against putting him in a parachute and tossing him out of an airplane. Of course doing that safely requires training, experience, a plane, and pilot.

People you don't know with training and experience are nearly all going to be unwilling to take the legal risk of letting your son jump.

Since he's under 18, he can't waive his right to sue if something (which may be his fault; doing the wrong thing on landing can get you badly broken legs or worse even on a tandem and $20-$200K+ hospital bills) goes wrong.

You also can't waive a minor's right to sue if something (which may be his fault; doing the wrong thing on landing can get you badly broken legs or worse even on a tandem and $20-$200K+ hospital bills ) goes wrong.

You might be a reasonable person who wouldn't sue and may raise a son who won't sue on his own if he's stuck with a limp but your health insurance company has a subrogation clause which lets them sue to recover costs ($20-$200K hospital bills).

Some drop zones take the risk and let children skydive at 16 with parental consent (the minimum age according to the USPA Basic Safety Regulations) but finding one that will let strangers jump before that is unlikely to happen.

Most of the kids who've jumped sooner in America have skydiving parents that are instructors, own dropzones, own planes, etc. Tandems are possible in countries where lawsuits are less prevalent.

Get video

You think that they'll run video? They're liable to lose their USPA Instructional ratings if "found out." If I'd ever done something like that, I'd prefer no paper trail, no video, etc. Keep no records, write nothing down, never happened.

"I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!"

Edit to add: Just occurred to me, maybe these guys are "cowboys", and have no ratings to lose? I'm envisioning gear out of date, no AAD, no medical, no training, etc. Might want to ask around about your DZ. Anyone willing to ignore the age rule, especially with someone they have never met, is suspect in my book.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ