chronistin

This looks terrible...

Are you sure about this? Still alive after a terminal impact?

That is impossible.

From the Guiness World Record Book

Highest Fall Survived Without A Parachute

Vesna Vulovic, a flight attendant from Yugoslavia, survived a fall from 10,160 m (33,330 ft) when the DC-9 airplane she was traveling in blew up over Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic), on January 26, 1972. A terrorist bomb was thought to be the cause, and no other passengers survived. Vesna broke both legs and was temporarily paralyzed from the waist down.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

> Example, I'd feel comfortable driving after 5 or 6 beers, and I
> guarantee you that I'm more safe than that old timer who just
> parked in the handicapped space that takes 10 minutes to get out
> of the car with their glazed glaucoma eyes and two canes.

And that guy is much safer than the legally blind guy who just had a stroke and can't move the right half of his body. It would be my hope that anyone incapable of driving safely - whether it's because they drink 6 beers then drive, or whether they have certain infirmities that limits them - loses their license.

My point exactly, thanks. However, I don't think drinking 6 beers in a 24 hour period, then driving warrants losing your license. But driving with impairments that inhibit people from driving correctly would warrant a revocation. My point was that we need to abide by the Law, AND use good judgement. You shouldn't do anything just 'cause it's legal. Like throw babies out of planes. The worst part of this, from Inzite's post is that the "Parents" wanted their kid to be the youngest skydiver. We don't even know if the kid wanted to skydive.

Yes -- that putting an 11 year old child out on his first-ever skydive with no static line or IAD, no instructor exiting with him, and no AAD, amounts to negligent homicide, no matter where it happens. Might as well have dropped him off a bridge in front of a moving truck for all the g**d*** difference it makes. IMHO Every single person directly involved in that completely avoidable tragedy should have gone to jail._____________________________________________

Actually, I don';t think age necessarily has anything to do with, we don't know if he couldn't pull the r/c or just didn't. Obviously an aad might have made a difference.

I know several people who did 5-10 second delays on their first jumps from 3000 feet or less. It was a long time ago, but it was common and IT WAS DOABLE. Is it the best way? I guess not. But it is not certain death.

In this case something went wrong and an aad MIGHT have made a difference.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

>Yes. I've watched friends of mine die, and it's a horrible experience.

I'm sorry about your friends but am grateful for your post even though it causes you to re-live some painful memories.

I'm too new to the sport to have a "gut feel" for the risk so I try heed the words of experience and learn from it. So, I read your post several times.

I've done lots of risky sports and my job deals with risk so I'm familiar with the idea for risk perception, prepare for the worst and hope for the best and all that. However, your right, it often goes to hell when someone dies.

A guy jumped out of my apartment building (30 or so stories) and hit the pavement in front of my balcony. Maybe not high enough for terminal velocity but enough to make a real mess. This was years ago and I still can't get the sound out of my head it was so loud.

So, when I first saw this post come up I couldn't watch the video. After reading your post I realized thats a problem. So, I watched it. This is a bit of an unusual situation and the parents were stupid. But, unfortunately the deaths of your friends and others are a reality of this sport that newbs like me can't push aside and have to accept the whole reality of the sport to make informed decisions. I check out the incidents to try to learn from them but they tend to be very factual. However, I think it takes someone like you thats been there to really hammer it home to make the point even though some might just consider it a downer.

The thing is I don't take your post as negative. It is as it is. If I can't embrace all of it then thats a problem. So, initially when I read your post I didn't agree with some things you said but after thinking about it I ended up agreeing with everything you said.

So, thanks for your post and I'll keep I'll keep it in mind.
rj.

Also, what thought processes happen in the US doesn't necessarily apply to another country

i grew up in asia. it was an everyday thing for the media (both print and tv) to show dead bodies. our 7pm news is not complete without showing beheaded terrorists, dead and bloody drug dealers, dead kidnappers riddled with bullet holes, and murdered people bludgeoned to death. and that's only during the first 5 minutes! is it gross and sick -- heck, yes -- for the average foreigner. but not for us. it's our way of life.

in the late 70s (i was in preschool), they showed a drug dealer get executed on live tv. it was broadcast nationwide. during school hours so all the school children could watch. made children (and adults) realize what could happen if you dealt drugs.

parents have used these graphic images as examples to their kids and we heard it all the time: " do something bad and you'll end up just like the bad dead guys they show on tv!"

i feel so sad for the little boy. he could've been a president, or a doctor, or an inventor, or the greatest ...

Don't pull, get the exp. first hand.
I have been seriously hurt before jumping and have seen many friends/fellow jumpers hurt. Yes, it's part of the game/shit happens. But to willfully WANT TO SEE INJURIES AND FATALITIES is fucked up!

P.S. I haven't seen someone bounce and don't care to. If you want to understand the psychological aspect of being hurt badly (removing Feet) it sucks! If you want to understand "same" of death , do it yourself! But not @ my dropzone or any other reputable DZ.
Fuck you intilectual
Darwin's Watching!

[]

Are you sure about this? Still alive after a terminal impact?

That is impossible.

From the Guiness World Record Book

Highest Fall Survived Without A Parachute

Vesna Vulovic, a flight attendant from Yugoslavia, survived a fall from 10,160 m (33,330 ft) when the DC-9 airplane she was traveling in blew up over Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic), on January 26, 1972. A terrorist bomb was thought to be the cause, and no other passengers survived. Vesna broke both legs and was temporarily paralyzed from the waist down.

I think you will find she was still in part of the plane when it hit..No one can survive a terminal impact without something slowing them down. Its all about the G's.

I remember the first time i saw someone hurt themselves seriously, I had abut 45 jumps and untill then i had been in my own little bubble of imagined safety. It defiantly made "real" all the stories we had heard by our instructors and made me think a lot more about if something went wrong, How prepared was I?.....

I think the DZ ,instructors are the one to be giving answers.....When i was 11 i wasnt allowed to go more than 2 blocks unsupervised let alone jump out of a plane for the first time!!!!!!!!..

2c :S

.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

Don't pull, get the exp. first hand.
I have been seriously hurt before jumping and have seen many friends/fellow jumpers hurt. Yes, it's part of the game/shit happens. But to willfully WANT TO SEE INJURIES AND FATALITIES is fucked up!

Yet we all sit and laugh when we are watching funniest home videos when the 5 year old smashes his head on the side of the table. And how many guys do we know that would jump at the chance to watch a tiger rip into its prey?! How many of us have looked up SKYDIVING ACCIDENT on utube??..Its just morbid fascination...

But if your standing there WANTING it to happen to someone than yes that is fucked!

.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!