chronistin

This looks terrible...

I know about this video.
This is actual ground video of how truly stupid parents can be.

I know this was done in South America and I'm pretty sure it was in Brazil. The parents wanted to have their insanly young son, something like 11 years old, to be the youngest skydiver (not tandem).

On this kids birthday and with the stupid parents permission, they sent their son up and this event happened. Brazil, no AAD for students required and not enough pull strength that this child could muster to pull the pilot chute.

No AAD? Fine. First jump on a pre teenager? Also fine but at least use some comon sence and IAD him or stick him on a static line.

Unfortunate and grizzly video but in everything bad, there is something good the be learned. Do you know what that is?

Unless you want to see a video of somebody going in, DO NOT click on the link.

It's pretty far way and hard to tell. If it were up closer then it would be upsetting to some. But maybe that's just me.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

That's very disturbing. That's particularly true if it's a kid. :(

Did anyone else notice how seemingly low that was?

I counted 18 seconds (not a scientific measurement, mind you) from what appears to be exit to what appears to be impact. Assuming normal freefall rates, that would be slightly over 2,500 ft. (1,000 ft. for the first 10 seconds, and 1,000 ft. for each 5.5 seconds thereafter, per the most recent SIM I saw).

He may have been falling faster than normal (call it 3,000 ft to give that argument the benefit of the doubt). But, still -- 3,000 feet!

After finishing AFF level E-2 (is Pepperell the only DZ that uses the current SIM numbering?), I can hop and pop at 3,000 ft., but I only feel comfortable doing that because I've done 11 solo dives and 3 tandems (and by the way, it scares the crap out of me). To stick a kid out there to do it on his first jump....

I suppose it's also possible that the film is edited to speed it up... but to my untrained eye it doesn't appear so...

The mind reels...

Unless you want to see a video of somebody going in, DO NOT click on the link.

It's pretty far way and hard to tell. If it were up closer then it would be upsetting to some. But maybe that's just me.

I do agree. It didn't bother me because of how far away it was and because of the TV voiceover. I just know that some people would be bothered by such a thing and figured a disclaimer wouldn't be a bad idea.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

what if every experienced diver who showed up on the weekend had to watch a fatality video, less than 60 seconds, before completing manifest, a different topic each week, swoops, collisions, no pulls, do you think it would radically cut down on accidents? This is assuming that the majority would continue to jump, Personally, if it saved alot of lives and injuries, I wouldn't mind. Complacency is so common in this sport.
SCR-21

I know about this video.
This is actual ground video of how truly stupid parents can be.

I know this was done in South America and I'm pretty sure it was in Brazil. The parents wanted to have their insanly young son, something like 11 years old, to be the youngest skydiver (not tandem).

On this kids birthday and with the stupid parents permission, they sent their son up and this event happened. Brazil, no AAD for students required and not enough pull strength that this child could muster to pull the pilot chute.

No AAD? Fine. First jump on a pre teenager? Also fine but at least use some comon sence and IAD him or stick him on a static line.

Oh shit. I had hoped that this is some kind of fake or something... A horrible idea.

Unfortunate and grizzly video but in everything bad, there is something good the be learned. Do you know what that is?

? Don't go up unless you're sure you can open the chute?

Chronistin
(Home @ http://www.fallschirmspringer.net/)

Yes -- that putting an 11 year old child out on his first-ever skydive with no static line or IAD, no instructor exiting with him, and no AAD, amounts to negligent homicide, no matter where it happens. Might as well have dropped him off a bridge in front of a moving truck for all the g**d*** difference it makes. IMHO Every single person directly involved in that completely avoidable tragedy should have gone to jail.

A low altitude jump with no instructors? it had to be a static line student.

Perhaps an AFF jump would have been more appropriate in this circumstance.
2 instructors jumping from a much higher altitude would have given sufficient time to get that chute out.

It was interesting to watch the actual video of this skydive fatality. I had heard about it several months ago but did not know that they had it on video.

I don’t find it offensive in the least that it’s posted on the internet. A lot of people want to watch it.

I think people need to see the reality for what it truly is. This sport is fucking dangerous and hindsight always seems to be 20/20.

UntamedDOG is the author of a post a while back titled 'Desire to witness a fatility' about how he wants to watch someone go in so he can become a more 'seasoned' skydiver: "I find myself a bit eager to experience the rush of a skydiving fatality firsthand."

As someone who's been there for that, I give you the finger.

Take your morbid interest in death somewhere else. Anyone who can say what you said in that thread and in the above post does not deserve the magic of this sport.
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training