MichaelMoore

What made you decide to quit the sport?

Oh, that's just sick....even perverted!:S

Oh no, the really sick thing is that I had just gotten all new skydiving gear right before my car accident.

Stashed away in my closet I have a brand spanking new Infinity, a brand new Sabre 2 150, a brand new Bev Suit, a brand new Bonehead Mamba and of course I can't forget the new weight belt and Altimeter.

Now....that is pure sickness.

Oh, that's just sick....even perverted!:S

Oh no, the really sick thing is that I had just gotten all new skydiving gear right before my car accident.

Stashed away in my closet I have a brand spanking new Infinity, a brand new Sabre 2 150, a brand new Bev Suit, a brand new Bonehead Mamba and of course I can't forget the new weight belt and Altimeter.

Now....that is pure sickness.

That really sucks... Are you finished with skydiving for good, or will there be a time that you can get back into it?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Slow down now! At NO point did I ever say I was QUITTING the sport. I just said there are priorities in my life now (sniff sniff) and I will be doing less jumping. I'll sell my free fall canopy long before I ever sell my Lightning. I love the dark side and wish more around me did as well that way I could use it. Those like JRose are to scared to play with the big dogs so they freefly instead. He spirals away anytime I get close to his canopy, PUSS.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

What makes people grow tired of the sport and sell their gear?

Is the rush just not there anymore?

What made you decide to quit?

It isn't so much the ones who decide to quit. They have thought about it and for whatever reason, made the decision. I would bet that just as many, if not more, never make the decision. Stuff gets in the way and the rig that was never out of your sight is now in the back of the closet. "When I (fill in the blank), I'm going to get a repack and get current again and jump my ass off". Tomorrow never comes. How many of those rigs are still sitting in peoples' closets becoming obsolete?
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

That really sucks... Are you finished with skydiving for good, or will there be a time that you can get back into it?

Yeah, I plan on getting back into it.
I just need to pull my head outta my ass and my gear outta my closet.

There was a time I was more revved up about the sport than anyone, I gave it my all, and the sport gave back equally. Skydiving was life and life was good. In time skydiving lost some luster, and not because I didn’t like it, or was bored by it, because I was still very much attached and very much excited, but I was no longer getting back what I put in. In retrospect I think I got ahead of the sport. I was doing demos and stunts, all a lot of fun, and even helped birth the infant offshoot BASE, then in an act of infidelity I tried windsurfing and that’s where my focus went. I may be back soon; I’m getting too old to windsurf…

What makes people grow tired of the sport and sell their gear?

Is the rush just not there anymore?

What made you decide to quit?

I quit for 8 years to fly, ski, scuba...then one day it crept up on me again and I couldn't afford my airplane anymore. [:/]

What made me quit? People... well.... people who've lost sight of why they got into this sport in the first place, people who develop a cavalier attitude toward the sport, people who turn it into a playground for their personal agendas....

I used to really enjoy heading out to the DZ and working hard all weekend. The last pair of DZOs I worked for completely took the fun out of it.

I sometimes like to think my old pair of DZOs are something special but what I read on here and the PMs I get tell me otherwise..... [:\]

What made me quit? People... well.... people who've lost sight of why they got into this sport in the first place, people who develop a cavalier attitude toward the sport, people who turn it into a playground for their personal agendas....

I used to really enjoy heading out to the DZ and working hard all weekend. The last pair of DZOs I worked for completely took the fun out of it.

I sometimes like to think my old pair of DZOs are something special but what I read on here and the PMs I get tell me otherwise..... [:\]

I agree with this as well as some other reasons. It's been 1 year this month since I last jumped and I still have 2 rigs in my closet. I will get back into it but don't know when. The people made it for me and that's in the past. I remember when we used to "love" to give back AT NO CHARGE, just to help someone get better at what they were doing.

Now it's turned so commercial and no one "hangs out" at the bonfire or bar anymore to talk about the days events or just shoot the shit with folks. It's sad. We can't walk on to the airport and get on loads with our friends any more, it has to be "planned". Kind of takes the fun out of it.

I still miss the air and freedom of skydiving but finances and the above don't encourage me too much right now.

[:/]

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

After 5 years and close to 400 jumps, I'm walking away. I’m neither happy or sad about it.

Basically it comes down to several reasons:

A)Finances
B)Lack of interest
C)My home DZ closing down
D)Politics

Skydiving is a very tight-knit community of people. It is also extremely esoteric. I don’t have the connection and loyalty that one should feel to stay happy in this sport.

Looking back on it, I wonder if the sense of community I felt in the beginning was based more on an endorphin rush than a true genuine connection with the people around me. Like the person who gets drunk and feels on top of the world, but then realizes how superficial and hallow those feelings are when sober.

In the end, it was a worthwhile run, but it just doesn’t fit into my current lifestyle.

I dropped out in '06 after 29 straight years of jumping. The day I found myself utterly bored in freefall and under canopy I just faced the fact that skydiving had run its course, went home and never went back. I miss all the fiends I had in the sport, but even on a beautiful spring day I don't wish I was back at the DZ.
1st jump August 6, 1977.
Last jump July 8, 2006.

I snipped my original post ;-)

I will get back into it but don't know when.

Yeah... I prolly should say I'm "on hiatus" instead of "quit." I think what might motivate me to get back in the air is when my ex-DZ changes hands again (and connecting the dots in the rumor mill makes it seem imminent ;-) ).

I remember when we used to "love" to give back AT NO CHARGE, just to help someone get better at what they were doing.

hahaha omg yeah.... I am a rigger/packer. I remember one day not too long ago when I was teaching a new jumper to pack and another packer freaked out thinking I was training someone else to be on the staff!

...Oh, I'll still continue to jump from time to time making a dozen or so jumps a year and again thats life. It's my choice.

I don't mean to preach, but a dozen jumps a year is not enough to stay current. You'll be doing solo's, I assume?

first jump 1970
last jump 1984

reasons -- multiple ranging from time available, distance to a dropzone (i had been spoiled for years when one was within 20 minutes) and other expenses.

thought about getting back when i discovered -- the hard way -- that i was privileged to be born with a brain aneurysm

anyone know of someone that started back following a rupture??? its been about 8 years and no apparent effects but every doctor i mention it to gets this glazed freaky look in their face but then it may just be their nature.