MichaelMoore

What made you decide to quit the sport?

Some still do. I quit for 13 years, because, well, I didnt' have a skydiving-shaped hole in my life. Then, later, I did.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

i actually came on here to say exactly what pheonix said. Then i realized that mr moore is right. Lots of ex skydivers do get on here. So how bout it Billy V? Why do people quit?:P:P:P just messin with you billy;)

I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

i actually came on here to say exactly what pheonix said. Then i realized that mr moore is right. Lots of ex skydivers do get on here. So how bout it Billy V? Why do people quit?:P:P:P just messin with you billy;)

Who said I quit? I'm waiting on my new jumpsuit any day now. :P

How's the ol' DZ in Prattville doing? Not too good huh?

Just messing with ya... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

theres a dropzone in prattville?
We've moved billy

You had to order a new jump suit because your old one turned to dust sitting in your gear bag:P

ok I know moderators....we ruined this thread. back on topic

I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

I have not made a jump in about 20 months. I still have my gear although I am about 15 pounds heavier than I was when I was jumping so a bigger canopy may be in order should my hiatus end. I did not stop jumping altogether, there are many more days at the DZ in my future (besides at the bar).

I think the reasons people quit, or just take a break are as varied as the people. I was just ready to not be at the DZ every weekend training. I had spent the previous 6 or 7 years training everyday and got to the point I wanted to be somewhere else while I was at the DZ so it did not make sense to keep jumping.

So there is your answer, I think. The reasons are varied and usually something to do with commitments elsewhere in life or level of interest. I guess finances could be a reason as well. As for checking out DZ.com, what else should I be doing? Working?

I'll answer you. I broke a tibia in '06, had neck surger in '07 from a herniated disk, and broke my other tibia and fibula in '07. For me, the risks are not worth the reward anymore. At some time in the future i might start jumping again. Right now there are many other things in my life that need my attention.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I injured my back a few years ago and had to quit jumping for awhile, in the mean time I had bought a new house and it seems like all I have on my mind is painting, landscaping and decorating.

I knew I was in trouble the first time I got more excited about an issue of Better Homes and Gardens that an issue of Skydiving Magazine.:|

I knew I was in trouble the first time I got more excited about an issue of Better Homes and Gardens that an issue of Skydiving Magazine.:|

Oh, that's just sick....even perverted!:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Three fused vertebrae in the lower back, one or two discs going, going, gone in the neck, arthritis setting in all over, getting more and more tired of the dead friends list getting longer and longer, being less and less excited about being in the air with anyone other than people I already know and trust or in less than ideal conditions... and I still haven't quit yet.

Guess my parents were right, I do lack common sense. :ph34r:

Neurological problems due to all the injuries to my back when I frapped.
It was time.
After 27 years I can know that I will be spending whatever holiday with my wife and daughter instead of wondering which boogie to hit.
I will miss all the good times and the friends yet to meet but nothing lasts forever.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Neurological problems due to all the injuries to my back when I frapped.
It was time.
After 27 years I can know that I will be spending whatever holiday with my wife and daughter instead of wondering which boogie to hit.
I will miss all the good times and the friends yet to meet but nothing lasts forever.

I'm just glad I got to meet you, even if my dumb ass friend splattered you with mud when HE frapped... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I quit back around 1981 when I moved to Oregon.. and had little money...while going to school and trying to raise my son and there was not really a place I wanted to jump at....the selection was Sheridan with Ted Mayfiled or Mollala with Ralph.

I took up paragliding instead for a number of years.

Plus... I had seen too many people die in the late 70's and early 80's...or was it the bad documentaries I saw.

I love this sport and I love my new wife as well. She has made two jumps and we've learned that skydiving isn't for her. She would rather be out on her motorcycle cruising the back roads, but I'm not one for bikes. So she has cut back her riding as I have my jumping. In marriage there are choices that have to be made in order to keep the peace. I can no longer go to the DZ and leave her alone as I did before (which is a sore subject in our marriage today). We now do everything together.

My home DZ closed last fall and the nearest is 80 miles north that only operates in the summer months, My home DZ was year round. My wife and I are expecting out first child in July. Life happens, I have made my choices and I have no regrets. I will always look skyward and want to dust off my rig from time to time for either a jump or a GL. What if I get hurt or worse killed? Who is going to help with the loss of income and pay the bills? Oh, I'll still continue to jump from time to time making a dozen or so jumps a year and again thats life. It's my choice.

This sport was once my everything and now my family is my everything.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

#1 reason where i come from has been relationships/marriage/family.

i just got a call from skydiving buddy who met his gal (pilot)- brought her out for all of us to meet and enjoyed her company- she seems totally cool about the sport around us & him

then she started dropping him off to skydive while she went elsewhere and then picked him up "at the gate"
re: wouldn't even park in the parking lot.....

then- he tells us all she gets too worried when he is skydiving= then we don't see him anymore....

now he is sending out wedding invites....
When I ask why he is mailing them- why not come to the dz and hand em out?? Reply: too busy-

i have only logged over 1300 jumps in 20 yrs.-
but enjoyed the hell outa every one....
now the boyz are raised and it's empty nesting time-
at last there is balance in my life to actually log skydives.
:)B|

SMiles;)

eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

I'm just glad I got to meet you, even if my dumb ass friend splattered you with mud when HE frapped... ;)

It was good to meet you too Billy. As for your buddy and the mud, it just added a little flavor to my hamburger.:)

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

After seeing the first hand results of two canopy collisions and realizing that my own actions most likely would not be the cause of injury or death to me I (and my wife who skydived) decided to retire and have a kid together. My kids (2 step-daughters and a son) deserve to have me provide for them until they can provide for themselves and not become a burden on society.

I jumped for 10 years. Got to see and do some things that extremely few people get to see and do. I was satisfied with my time in the sport and I continue to lurk here to try and pass on what I've learned so others might avoid what I've seen.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

My kids (2 step-daughters and a son) deserve to have me provide for them until they can provide for themselves and not become a burden on society.

Me, too. Career and mortgage, too, but mostly kids - just not wanting to risk death like that while they were still very dependent. Took 16 years off, during which I stayed active in the business end, here and there. (Mentally, never really left completely.) Got back into it when my kids were in their late teens.

That read: Lightning for sale. ;)

PM me if you really are looking to sell it, please.

Congrats,
April

Ah yes, the venerable Lightning, the fastest reselling canopy in history. :ph34r: