peek

Making Your Mark on the (Skydiving) World

Making Your Mark on the (Skydiving) World

Why are so many skydivers so intent on "making their mark" on the skydiving world? To me, some of them seem almost frantic to prove that they have created something new and wonderful.

Some do things that have been done many times and attempt to re-label it as "new".

Some create solutions for things that are not really a problem, (or create poorly thought out solutions
because they did not do the work required to understand the real problem.)

• Some create "new" skydiving disciplines
  • Some create "new" instructional techniques
  • Some create new products that have questionable value
  • Some create new products that have an incredibly limited market

Why do these people think that they have (so easily) created the "next great idea"?

Is it because they see skydiving and its related industries as "small" and think that makes their goal more attainable?

What ever happened to working hard at something that one enjoys, and (possibly) reaping the benefits if this activity (or the knowledge gained from it) is truly helpful to others?

It's as though many people think that if they market their new idea/product sufficiently that it will actually be wonderful.

Why are they trying so hard to "make their mark" on the skydiving world?

Why are so many skydivers so intent on "making their mark" on the skydiving world? To me, some of them seem almost frantic to prove that they have created something new and wonderful.

Some do things that have been done many times and attempt to re-label it as "new".

Some create solutions for things that are not really a problem, (or create poorly thought out solutions
because they did not do the work required to understand the real problem.)

And this is different from, say, people/companies in the technology industry?

It's not a skydiver thing. It's a human thing.

How about those guys that make those pesky skydiving related websites?!

Do you really think those things you listed are bad? Without those people, we wouldn't have... ummm... anything we have. Sounds like you're bashing innovators. Do you have some examples of the types of people/concepts/products you're talking about?

EDIT: Doug, when did we get a couch in manifest?? That's where I'll be hanging out!

Dave

How about those guys that make those pesky skydiving related websites?!

Do you really think those things you listed are bad? Without those people, we wouldn't have... ummm... anything we have. Sounds like you're bashing innovators. Do you have some examples of the types of people/concepts/products you're talking about?

EDIT: Doug, when did we get a couch in manifest?? That's where I'll be hanging out!

Dave

My thoughts exactly.

The point he made is they are not innovators, they simply haven't taken the time to be involved enough in the sport to find out they are re-inventing the wheel, and most of the time, not learning from the mistakes made before them.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Some create "new" skydiving disciplines
......... DAMN CREW DAWGS and SWOOPERS!

Some create "new" instructional techniques
.........DAMN KNEE TURNS!

Some create new products that have questionable value
........DAMN PIGGY BACK RIGS!

Some create new products that have an incredibly limited market
........DARN SLIDERS that DONT Sell SO GOOD!

I'd sure like some examples. Not a single post in this thread has cited one. Nary a one. They're out there. Just name them.There may well be some of these unnecessary new things but the necessary ones were new innovations once too, made by someone likely trying to "make their mark" or, slim as it may be, to actually benefit the community. So please separate the two for me and let me know which you're talking about.

Along the lines of unnecessary innovations we have as an example the different container manufacturers who essentially all have the exact same product with little variation. Bill Booth came up with a number of the big innovations which represented permanent change in design that they all use now, but otherwise a majority of container differences are merely sales points and nothing else. You can't be a viable competitor if your product is a carbon copy of the others. But they are to some extent. I recognize my statement as a generalization. No need to point that out.

I'd sure like some examples. Not a single post in this thread has cited one. Nary a one. They're out there. Just name them.

I think I'll just let this thread develop first. I think you will see some examples. My post was to see how many other had that funny feeling I get when I hear about some of this stuff. BTW, I am not against innovation.

Something to consider Gary, maybe new jumpers don't want to feel like there is nothing new under the sun.

What is so wrong with them thinking that they are creating some sort of a legacy... leaving a mark like you said.

How many old timers would still be so passionate about the sport if they weren't pioneers, and instead were just people doing something that had been done long before they came along?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

In spirit I agree with your comment. As stated it's a bit broad. I was just sort of surprised that so far there were those who also agreed but no one offered any examples. If anyone who has posted were a news reporter their editor would have to have a wee chat before going to press. You can't make allegations without citation and affirmation. So, I too await some examples from those who agree. Which may require some memory because I suspect the unnecessary innovations have not survived and may well have disappeared shortly after they were brought out. Some also fell by the wayside as learning changed.
•Webbed gloves come to mind.
•Wings for sit-flying didn't survive in the long haul. Though they did get Tony Uragallo Skydiving Magazine's 2nd or 3rd Annual Skydiver of the Year award.
•Bungee pilot chutes.
•What's that canopy with the fins - or whatever they are - on top?
•Or canopy top skin/bottom skin differences in materials (F-111 & zero-P)

These may or may not be of the unessential innovation sort. They were seen as useful and people used them all. But they're largely all gone now.

Anyone have more?

Interesting question, Gary.

I find myself wondering why it matters to anyone.
If you're a new skydiver, being consumed with enthusiasm for the sport seems to be common. Maybe someone wants to come up with goofy T-shirt sayings so they start a Tshirt company.
Maybe they're undergoing the process of learning, so they want to share what they're learning through the process and write a book. Perhaps they have uncovered a "new way" of catching air, and want to expose others to the differences.
Maybe (my particular case) the enthusiasm runs towards the political side. I had intended on running for a BOD position (therefore 'making a mark') until I attended my second GM meeting. I then realized how futile it would be, as there are people there for only one reason, and one person cannot change that. I'm still trying to figure out the motivation behind one of the most stupid, annoying comments ever heard, made at introduction by one of the BOD. Bu whatever motivated it was enough to alter my motivation for "making a mark" in that particular puddle of mud.

Whether we're talking about skydiving or rocks on the ground, aspiration exists.
Even a rock aspires to be something more; perhaps the foundation of a home, perhaps the conductor of heat in a chimney, or maybe even to be the proverbial stone that slays Goliath. But most everything aspires to be something more than what it/they is/are. It's a part of the lifespirit, to make better or attempt to make things better, the world in which *they* live, and it fundamentally changes who we are and/or the environment in which we/they live.

It's called "evolution."

Whether it's a "new slider," jumpsuit made from hemp, a training DVD, a psychology book, a new way of flying, or....?, if it fulfills a dream, occupies time, provides a short (or long-term) motivation, or allows a kinship within the sport for any reason...

It's sometimes called "innovation."
Innovation doesn't always work out the way the innovator wants. Everyone laughs at Ron Popiel for his "Spray on Hair" and his turkey roaster, but how many of have his knives, K-Tel Records, or other Ronco product in our closet?
Bad ideas well implemented, good ideas badly implemented, bad ideas poorly implemented, and good ideas properly implemented benefit everyone, IMO. Not knowing where you're going teaches one to know where not to go. It's called "education." Some call it the "School of Hard Knocks."
But at the end of the day, you learned it on you own, you trust the value and experience of the process, and usually, you (and often those around you) are better for it.
The motivation behind it doesn't concern me, as we every so rarely understand what motivates someone to do anything.

•What's that canopy with the fins - or whatever they are - on top?
•Or canopy top skin/bottom skin differences in materials (F-111 & zero-P)

These may or may not be of the unessential innovation sort. They were seen as useful and people used them all. But they're largely all gone now.

Actually the last 2 are still around and you even see a bungee PC now and then still. The last one is far from gone both in the civilian and Military market. In fact, the use of hybrid skin canopies in the military sector has a trickle down effect that makes the civilian sport sector viable.

I get what Gary is getting at and I have to agree with him.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'm still trying to figure out the motivation behind one of the most stupid, annoying comments ever heard, made at introduction by one of the BOD. Bu whatever motivated it was enough to alter my motivation for "making a mark" in that particular puddle of mud.

What was that comment?

I'm still trying to figure out the motivation behind one of the most stupid, annoying comments ever heard, made at introduction by one of the BOD.

You can't just leave it there. Tell us more. Name names!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Gary,

The marketplace does a good job of weeding out bad ideas and rewarding good ones. Even the "experts" don't know ahead of time what will change the world.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

"640K is enough for anyone", Bill Gates 1981

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962

"There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will." Albert Einstein, 1932.

"The bomb will never go off. I speak as an expert in explosives." Admiral William Leahy USN, speaking of the Manhattan Project

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.