wantingtojump

DZ Owners

If you're not already involved in skydiving enough to know what it's about and therefore don't already have aquaintances with several DZO's then, historically speaking, your venture is doomed.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

12 Steps to Becoming a Successful DZO . . .

1. Start small.
2. Locate yourself on private land as far as possible from any existing DZ and somewhere in the sunbelt.
3. Lease a Caravan or at the very least purchase a C-206.
4. Hire two very experienced AFF Instructors (with tandem ratings) and give them new double wide trailers and free rent.
5. Stay under the radar and quietly grow your own skydivers from the local populace.
6, Accept Skyride certificates. (Contact USPA and they'll get you set up).
7. Once the Skyride thing is flowing break all ties with USPA because who needs all those extra pesky rules.
8. Every night, and I can't emphasis this enough, it's free beer for all.
9. Hire a rigger who's old, has a beard, and a crusty personality. It will add instant cred to your overall operation.
10. Use the aircraft at night to make drug runs. (The only logical reasons for steps 1-9.)
11. Mortgage everything to the hilt and suck as much cash out of the operation as possible for five years and then disappear to Alaska.
12. Wait a few years, claim you learned your lesson, and repeat.

NickD :)

1. Start small.
2. Locate yourself on private land as far as possible from any existing DZ and somewhere in the sunbelt.
4. Hire two very experienced AFF Instructors (with tandem ratings) and give them new double wide trailers and free rent.
5. Stay under the radar and quietly grow your own skydivers from the local populace.
7. Once the Skyride thing is flowing break all ties with USPA because who needs all those extra pesky rules.
9. Hire a rigger who's old, has a beard, and a crusty personality. It will add instant cred to your overall operation.
10. Use the aircraft at night to make drug runs. (The only logical reasons for steps 1-9.)
11. Mortgage everything to the hilt and suck as much cash out of the operation as possible for five years and then disappear to Alaska.

NickD :)

I'd say your best bet there is to go straight from step three to step ten, and skip all the day to day nonsense.
Less talking, more flying.

1. Start small.

Thats fucking classic Nick :D

Skydive Radio

i say GO FOR IT!!!

Me too. If we don't sucker some people to open more dropzones, we'll run out of places to jump.

To the original poster... no need to ask anybody. Opening a dropzone is easy and profitable. You'll make about $200 per tandem and $25 for fun jumpers, so all your expenses will get paid off after a few weekends and you'll be rolling in money in no time, like all the other dropzone owners. AND, DZOs jump for free as much as they want. Low paid staff pretty much takes care of everything, so you'll have all the time in the world to just jump and enjoy the DZO lifestyle.

Dave

What's your experience? Skydiving and business? I wouldn't suggest that you open an electrical contracting business without one hell of a lot of experience in the field, same goes for skydiving (that is if you have any interest in positive cash flow).

Martin
ACDZ
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

To the original poster... no need to ask anybody. Opening a dropzone is easy and profitable. You'll make about $200 per tandem and $25 for fun jumpers, so all your expenses will get paid off after a few weekends and you'll be rolling in money in no time, like all the other dropzone owners. AND, DZOs jump for free as much as they want. Low paid staff pretty much takes care of everything, so you'll have all the time in the world to just jump and enjoy the DZO lifestyle.

Dave nailed it right on the head. I would go into more details but my jet is waiting to take me to my private island in the French Riviera.

If you want to know more about how to make it big as a DZO, send me a check or money order for $2500 and I'll teach you the first lesson in being a DZO (get ready to write a lot of those checks).

On a serious note, be sure that you absolutely love skydiving, because you will do nothing but eat, drink, and sleep it. Running a DZ is not a 40 hour a week and then you go home job. It takes a lot of work, a bit of money, and plenty of determination. With that being said, in the end it is incredibly rewarding and sure beats working a 9-5.

Best of luck in your endeavors!