DZDale

Stowing Brakes Incorrectly

:o

Just over a week ago I was taking part in the British Army Championships when on my first jump of the day, my canopy opened and began turning to the left, as this was happening the canopy also decided to throw me into a series of line twists, which caused the canopy to start spinning and when I say spinning I mean outa control. I was not very wise in my decision as I did not chop when I should have, intead I really battled to get out of the twists and then yanked on the back risers to try and stabilse the canopy, by this time my arms were knackered from trying to prevent things from going badly wrong, and I barely had enough strength to get my toggles and begin flying.

Lesson learned here was 1) I should have cut away and next time this happens will not hesitate, reason being that once I manged complete control of the canopy I found that I was at a nice height of about 600 ft (Very Bad)

2) Be very thorough when packing, I know sometimes we tend to be hurried along and take some things for granted, but please be thorough and if youre not sure ask a rigger or someone in the know. The cause of my cnopy misbehaving was that I did not Stow the brake toggles correcly, but I have learned from this mistake and will make sure that it never happens again.

Luckily for me this mistake did not turn out to injure me, but could quite easily have done so very badly.
The Moral of the Story - Always know what to do in any situation and try to antivpate the various different malfunctions and what you would do in the given situation. I think too many people dont think carefully enough about safety !

Blue Skies

Dale

"The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival." - safe swoops -

MY DZ

I discovered the same thing not too long ago. I have those velcro-less toggless; you need to be extra careful with the excess control line on those. I tend to put the excess control line through my end riser loop right under the slink, then over the top of the toggle and under the steering line before I slide it into the pocket. Then I yank on the steering line a bit to make sure that I set the brake properly and it won't slip out on the next opening.

If I'm not careful, like I was on one jump, and I wrap the excess over the steering line, instead of under and away from it, I had a pretty nasty knot to untie when I released the breaks. It's pretty ugly when you have to harness-shift and squeeze risers together to keep the canopy somewhat stable so you can undo the knot.

You can make things a bit easier by stowing your breaks right after you land. Makes life a bit less complicated when you have to start packing.

You can make things a bit easier by stowing your breaks right after you land. Makes life a bit less complicated when you have to start packing.

Good peice of advice. I have for quite some time, and actually gotten into the HABIT of stowing my brakes & resetting my slider as a part of my post-landing canopy collection "routine". That way, whether you are packing it yourself, or paying a packer, you don't have to (necessarily) "worry" about it. Your packers also appreciates it too. ---That wad of SH** the tandem master just dropped there -fahgettabout 'im! ---Where's Grant's rig? ;) I've heard that as a result, more than one time before too.

...[loudspeaker] "20 minute call to next load" -Gotta go! :ph34r:
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I was taught this very thing during my first jump course for AFF....actualy Nicki Fegan taught it to me before anything else...well after we went over the equipment that is...so ever since then EVERY landing I uncollapse the slider and set the brakes...so that way I know they are done EVERY time and the right way....packer(me):)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Why am I the only one that seems to stow the excess

I don't stow mine at all. I neatly S fold the excess and stick it under the risers in the container. I have had 2 unstowed brakes during deployment in over 120 jumps on the canopy. Thats probably more due to the fact that I have my hands over the brakes during deployment than the way they are stowed. Not a bad record for velcro-less toggles.

I have had 2 unstowed brakes during deployment in over 120 jumps on the canopy. Not a bad record for velcro-less toggles.

When your chute opens with one unstowed brake, it's very likely to start spinning, right? I wouldn't call once every 60 jumps an acceptable score...
Any other opinions on this matter?

my canopy opened and began turning to the left, as this was happening the canopy also decided to throw me into a series of line twists, which caused the canopy to start spinning and when I say spinning I mean outa control. ___________________________________ exact same thing happened to me, dude. I had been sloppy in stowing my brakes- never really yanked on the steering line so it wouldn't come out of the velcroless holder thingy, and yup, I opened with lotsa twists, and my heatwave elliptical dove in front of me at one point during the spins- that's when I chopped it - belly-to earth without even having to arch! Frickin cable housing from my reserve smacked me in the face on the "ching ching" and I dropped my reserve pillow by the surprise, and then was under a twisted reserve, but my PD 143 flies so nice, it just sat there and waited for me to kick out of them. I was able to react quickly on this one cause I recognized the uncontrolled cant-do anything-feeling since I had a spinning lineover in march. Looking back, I rememberd that I pulled my rear risers a bit and was trying to kick out the spins, but that didn't work. Also, I didn't try releasing the other brake, which someone suggested to me, but then I think I didn't do that cause I was spinning so fast and also I think the risers were twisted over the brakes anyways. One other thing.- I had been having surprise brake releases lately anyway, but I just thought that was bad luck. Nope. it was me! Cheers!

"Spread your legs and fly"

>I have had 2 unstowed brakes during deployment in over 120 jumps
>on the canopy.

Change your technique! 1 in 60 is a pretty bad score. I'm pretty careful about stowing the excess and have had zero unstowed brakes in ~2700 jumps (on my gear; on tandems I've had all sorts of problems but I didn't pack them.)

Why am I the only one that seems to stow the excess in the loop on the riser that holds the bottom tab of the toggle?

I was taught to do it that way, but I don't. I don't stow it at all - I just let the excess fly. Never had one come unstowed (kocking on head), but switched to RW's new toggle-keepers just in case.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

When your chute opens with one unstowed brake, it's very likely to start spinning, right?

Nahh...I'm flying the "Bus" Stilletto 170. It's actually no big deal to have a brake come unstowed. I already have my hands resting on the risers so if it starts to turn I just compensate. I do need some maintenance on it. One of the stow pockets has started to get a little stretched and unstitched right in the corner. Makes it less secure. I think I'm just going to add a little velcro to it and be done with this problem.

Good peice of advice. I have for quite some time, and actually gotten into the HABIT of stowing my brakes & resetting my slider as a part of my post-landing canopy collection "routine".

We are ALL taught to stow our toggles upon landing. I hope I'm wrong but it appears that you are meaning to saying "set" your brakes and un-collapse your slider in the landing field. That's NOT a good idea.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Good peice of advice. I have for quite some time, and actually gotten into the HABIT of stowing my brakes & resetting my slider as a part of my post-landing canopy collection "routine".

We are ALL taught to stow our toggles upon landing. I hope I'm wrong but it appears that you are meaning to saying "set" your brakes and un-collapse your slider in the landing field. That's NOT a good idea.

Very good point Pops. The landing area can be a very busy area and it is very important to keep your head up and on a swivel. Even if your DZ is not busy and the landing area is casual, when you travel to a large DZ - Eloy/Perris - your habits will go with you. Setting brakes should be considered part of the packing process. Just be careful everybody.

Also we should consult with the OEM on the correct way to stow brake line but I will say passing it through the top of the risers sounds like a red flag. I learned the hard way about stowing slack when I grabbed my toggles and the tip of my glove became caught in slack line. Again, let's all be careful and look out for each other.