ozzy13

What's too windy?

One thing I've noticed over the years, especially at boogies, is that often times the newer jumpers(100-300) keep jumping in winds that veteran jumpers don't.

I'll admit to doing that, early on. Part of it was the pressure to "get your jump #s up" and partly, due to a whole season of crappy weather. Sometimes, a less than ideal day can still be the best you've seen, in a while...ya' get hungry and I guess that affects the rational thought process.
"T'was ever thus."

Per se, I don't mind landing backwards. However, if the winds are going fast enough to make me go backwards on a square, yes, it's time to sit down, and has been for awhile. Because I probably can't control the canopy after landing without getting drug for a second, or at least looking ungraceful. And we can't have that ;)

If you're willing to PLF, a backwards landing is no big deal.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think another reason is that we want to test our own waters. Having a good idea of what you personally can manage is a nice complement to looking at what the more experienced folks are doing.

Hmm, that got me thinking. There is definitely a locale factor involved. Some DZs have jumpers that generally accept higher wind conditions just like some DZs have jumpers that generally accept higher wing loadings.

Another, albeit less noble, reason to wait it out in high winds... If the winds are strong from 3000' all the way to the ground and you have a malfunction, you may never see your main again.

That said I'll usually continue to jump in 20-25kt winds if it's pretty steady and from a direction free of obstacles. However, if it's a hot day, the wind keeps changing directions, and/or dust devils are in bloom I have no problem waiting until it calms down later in the afternoon. Around here that tends to happen at lunch time in the summer when I could use a break anyway. :)

Once again playing the role of devil's advocate....flying a wingsuit in hauling ass winds is a lotta fun, I've had ground speeds of 150 mph estimated. Also incredibly long cross-country flights are possible.

Well, the situations I mentioned that cause me to stand down generally have to do with ground winds that directly affect my ability to have a safe landing, and it's definitely possible to have days where the uppers are howling and the ground winds are at comfortable speeds. But this is a nice reminder that when we think about "safe winds" we also need to take into account how the uppers affect our safety - if we aren't spotting well and getting good exit separation for the day's conditions, howling uppers can create just as much risk as howling ground winds.[:/]

Learning how to deal with higher winds is useful in case you need it someday. I'm definitely not suggesting that anyone put themselves in harm's way, everyone has their own wind limits and being conservative is rarely a bad idea.

I've jumped in higher winds - like others here, I'm more likely to push up my wind limits in DZs with fewer obstacles that create turbulence and at DZs with lots of wide open spaces. I'd rather not be experiencing my first 25-mph gust getting pushed into a building. :S
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am from small dz so i see a problem when I go to a big dz with otters. Because it is not an everyday thing to me so I tend to risk more than I would at my home dz even worse is at the boogies :) hey man I am here to jump! I know it's stupid. Definately I would stay down in chopy conditions if canopies are collapsing on landings. But if I am at the boogie and its windy but not turbulent I will keep on going while on the other hand at my dz I would stay down since I love swooping or whatever it is that I do :)

Some DZs have jumpers that generally accept higher wind conditions just like some DZs have jumpers that generally accept higher wing loadings.

...and knowing what those local variances are is handy. Right now I have 260ish jumps, and I stay on the ground when my home DZ puts its jump limit up to 200, just because I know what I'm happy with and what they are. At Skydive Empuriabrava in Spain, I stay on the ground when the limit is 100, because their wind conditions are generally hairier and their locals are more comfortable with that than I am.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I'm sure that you'll be amused to know that I had to cut away a canopy on the ground in high winds today. Not a skydive, I was kiting a 150 when a gust hit that would have drug me across a road and into a fence. I had just put the canopy up and got hit before I was ready, should have been using a smaller canopy. :P

Sometimes you eat the bear..............

It's too windy when I think it's too windy to jump.
Missing jump days in recovery is not in my game plan.

I want to live to be an old skydiver.
Oh, wait...I already am.

Seriously. I'm the conservative type. I don't go by numbers. I go by what's happening at the time. I rarely do first load of the day. I ask other jumpers what they are experiencing in the air. I watch canopy action at low-altitude flight. I watch landings with consideration for skill levels. I watch the old-timers. If I'm jumping and the winds kick up, no problem to sit down and watch the action.

When in doubt, whip it out (the beer, that is).

I have good comebacks for the bozos who would razz the ones sitting out winds.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm a little reluctant to give advice about this, you can get hurt kiting. I always use a harness but you can do it just holding risers. Start with lighter winds then work up, talk to a paraglider pilot about using risers and reverse launching. If you kite strong winds you need to be able to do an instant cutaway without looking at your gear. Stay well away from objects donwind that will hurt you when you smash into them.

BTW popsjumper I've never heard anyone being ridiculed for standing down in windy conditions, what a disrespectful and childish thing to do.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Things to consider:

bad spot and landing out

freefall injury that makes it difficult to steer or flare

cutaway to a large reserve canopy

18-20 mph of steady wind isnt a huge deal if everything goes well, but if it doesnt you'll wish you had set lower limits.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

BTW popsjumper I've never heard anyone being ridiculed for standing down in windy conditions, what a disrespectful and childish thing to do.

Yes, I have. And, thanks. Someday when I'm feeling particularly nasty, I'll use that as one of the comebacks.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

25 MPH? Re-think, re-analyze, and re-submit. because you are re-tarded. No offense to the mentally challenged, I know the OP.

Yea but your my Instructor and you are jumping right next to me so whos retarded :)
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Anything that I don't feel fully confident of making a good landing in - generally, if it's steady and 15mph or under, I'll go. Gusting more than a couple MPH or over 15 and I'm sitting it out.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I try to tell myself if it's too windy to do a demo jump (15+ mph), it's too windy to fun jump. However, wingloading comes into play in what's too windy. You want to have enough of a forward motion so you can aim for where you want to land. There's nothing worse than being up there and going oh shit... I've jumped my current canopy in 20 mph winds on a fun jump and I was barely going forward. I've also jumped when it was 30 mph and I was going backwards 20 mph under a Falcon 235! :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban