ozzy13

What's too windy?

When I watch the old timers sit down, I stay down.

When I watch the plane do a go-around trying to land, I remember that I can't do a go-around, I stay down.

When I watch other people land and I'm really glad I'm not out there, I stay down.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

When I watch the old timers sit down, I stay down.

When I watch the plane do a go-around trying to land, I remember that I can't do a go-around, I stay down.

When I watch other people land and I'm really glad I'm not out there, I stay down.

This sounds like a plan to me, other than if just about anybody is sitting down, that's where I figure I'm going to belong for a long while. :$
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Im the same way. It depends on with way the wind is going at my DZ. If its running north south then 20-25mph is ok. Coming from the west or east. depends on whats going on . Lots of trees and building so it can get real bumpy
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Once again playing the role of devil's advocate....flying a wingsuit in hauling ass winds is a lotta fun, I've had ground speeds of 150 mph estimated. Also incredibly long cross-country flights are possible. Setting up landings upwind and hooking so you don't get blown backwards are useful techniques, front risers help too. Learning how to deal with higher winds is useful in case you need it someday. I'm definitely not suggesting that anyone put themselves in harm's way, everyone has their own wind limits and being conservative is rarely a bad idea. Turbulent conditions and low wingloading are red flags in high winds. For me if the pilot is willing then so am I. YMMV
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Yep, you're right Andrew that is a factor and I enjoy your sarcasm. Jumping in wind creates elevated risk, you pays yer money and takes yer chances. Just like in the rest of skydiving it's a matter of risk tolerance. Landing under a reserve is still a matter of assessing conditions and using the skills you have. If you wouldn't fly your reserve in ANY conditions then you have no business jumping at all. FWIW I'd hook either of my reserves if it was appropriate. Another factor, one of many, is currency. I'm not very current so I act conservatively and vice versa.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Setting up landings upwind and hooking so you don't get blown backwards are useful techniques,

Do you recommend a 270 or something bigger when you are under your reserve under these conditions?

Can't speak for Martini but I'd jump my reserve in any conditions I'd jump my main.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well as a DZO for students we follow the rules set from our association CSPA here in Canada. For every license there is a wind limitation. If it is known that you exceed those limits on purpose then if some one hurt himself you can be in trouble. Steady wind is something but unless you are on a huge airport like Deland or old military airfield you will have to deal with turbulence. This is where somebody have to think and use is head to make a decision. This is also where some people want to push the limnit and where young skydivers hurt themself.
When it is a full load of regulars jumpers we advised them but it is up to them unless it is not safe from the pilot point of view.
Looking at your video it look like a student canopy (170 or more) with no mistake from the pilot.
Even with that size canopy the canopy is going forward so the ground wind is not a problem. It is only a turbulence at the end and maybe a slow or no reaction from the pilot at the end.

The jump is not over until you're safely on the ground and your canopy completly deflate on the ground.

Don't worry about that landing heat is probably the case.

Richard

Richard
When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.

I'd jump my reserve in any conditions I'd jump my main.

John, I hope so.......do you really have a choice at that point?

One thing I've noticed over the years, especially at boogies, is that often times the newer jumpers(100-300) keep jumping in winds that veteran jumpers don't.

I like to think that we experienced jumpers are sitting on the ground witnessing younger jumpers become experienced.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

We are on a big old military airfield and we deal wth turbulence, what does that have to do with it?

The original video.... Weeeeeeeee!

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

We are on a big old military airfield and we deal wth turbulence, what does that have to do with it?

Less object turbulence. On private airstripse, often times there is a treeline, or buildings within 100 yards of the landing area, causing object turbulence in certain areas of the field.

Old military fields like Deland are big enough that you can land well away from any objects if you choose. The catch 22 is that airports like Deland have huge expanses of concrete which would suck to land on, and in the warmer months can create all sorts of thermals and other heat related wierdness.

When I see people landing backwards, I stay down.

EXACTLY;) - its never fun to be going backwards when you land.

From my limited experience I have figured out at about which wind speed I can penetrate and when the winds are too high for me (generally at about 18mph). I also look at gusting winds. If people are getting knocked around I stay down. If there is anything that my instincts say are "too much for me" I stay down. There have been times when I have jumped gotten down and said I was done for the day (usually at that point it is Margarita time). I believe that there are a couple of articles on "no wind landings" as well as "landing in turbulence.........all of which are good sources of additional information.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!