northcave

Loop the loop under canopy

So let us re-examine: Barrel roll with pilot slightly above canopy: Yes.

I'd suggest "Slightly" is somewhat subjective.

Just to be picky here, a LOOP is not a BARREL ROLL, and a BARREL ROLL is not a LOOP.

Um, in aircraft a school type barrel roll is a loop with a continuous roll.

Thank you. Try telling that to the aerobatics judges when a loop is specified.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Not that I actually know what I'm talking about, but I'd be willing to place a good deal of money on a bet that it has not been done with a skydiving parachute. SKYDIVING parachute.

I'd say ask TJ and Dusty Smith directly.. ive seen some video that looks very much like it CAN happen with skydiving canopies..

they were certainly doing quite a few things that I'd only thought paragliders capabile of doing.

I did a barrel roll under canopy, but I was only able to pull it off by having another jumper fly through my canopy with their velo. It was rather violent and scary...I dont recommend it!

So yes when acted upon by an outside force, barrel rolls and all kinds of crazy sh@t is possible
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

Something a Non sky diver asked me today and although I was pretty sure of the answer I didnt know if it was impossible...

Can you get enough speed from your canopy to actually then pull full brakes to invert so your above your main and/or go completly around or fall down into your main?

There are at least two documented cases of failures to do an actual loop - as opposed to a steep barrel roll. In both cases the jumpers ended up IN their canopies, lines, etc. If I rememebr correctly, one got pretty radical - as you might guess.

Chuck

What is shown in those vids is not a loop. What I saw is a rotation around the centerline of the wing, i.e. a "flip". A loop would be flying the circumference of a circle, an equal distance or radius from a center point, for a full 360 degrees in the vertical plane. I would bet a loop is not possible with a ram air canopy, regardless of whether it is a skydiving canopy or a paragliding canopy.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

I saw several flips but no loop. A loop would be flying the circumference of, for example, a 500 ft. diameter circle in the vertical plane, which would require inverted flight ( not something a collapsible wing is capable of) and pitch control surfaces at some horizontal distance behind the wing, in other words, a tail with movable elevators (which canopies do not have).
That being said, that is one cool video. Gets my heart racing and makes me want to head for the DZ right NOW!!!

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Not sure if skydiving wings can maintain the energy of the wing well enough - they're made pretty inefficient so they can open well - but other wings can do a pretty good job...

Try this at the end of a swoop and you are sure to break yourself...

Edited by lyosha