joe399

Travis Pastrana skydives with no 'chute

So where was Travis Pastrana this weekend? It sure seemed like Puerto Rico could use him. But Pastrana ended up racing rally cars, finishing second in a U.S. national to Subaru teammate Ken Block. Then he decided to go do a little skydiving for the next Nitro Circus, dubbed "Thrillbillies!" Pastrana jumped out of an airplane at 15,000 feet WITH NO PARACHUTE! He was "caught" by a couple of other jumpers. So that's how Johnny Utah did it in Point Break! From what we're hearing, Thrillbillies is going to be insane.

http://www.racerxill.com/articles/de...erhead-39.aspx

http://www.racerxill.com/images/articles/large/0000008269.jpeg

http://www.racerxill.com/images/articles/large/0000008270.jpeg

What a sneaky lil' shit. He stopped by and did a few jumps a couple weeks ago, followed out tandems of his friends, but said nothing about the "no rig" jump.

Incredible on a motorcycle, almost magical. If you can find the ESPN book (just published) on him, it's a great read, particularly the chapter on skydiving.

Still didn't find the article. The pictures show what appears to be a hidden rig built into the shorts. Nice work. I'd love to see how it was done.

Edit: If he was "caught by other jumpers" then there's a harness built in to the shorts.

Joe, can you re-post the first link to the article? I still can't find it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The first link is bad.

That's pretty cool, even though JP has done it many times.

I'll admit I got pretty skeerd the last time, cause my JVX 18 had a bag lock, but then I thought I'll just swoop my pilotchute in instead.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I would think this is the kind of act that we don't exactly want the public to view and get the wrong opinion of skydivers from?

If it was my DZ I would give him a firm hell no.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

[Pastrana jumped out of an airplane at 15,000 feet WITH NO PARACHUTE! He was "caught" by a couple of other jumpers.

He surely is one talented & crazy bastard. I really like the Grand Canyon motorcycle/basejump vid, I have watched it probably 10 times.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

I would think this is the kind of act that we don't exactly want the public to view and get the wrong opinion of skydivers from?

It's not a DZ issue, it's a pilot issue. The pilot would be the punishable party.

It's not a DZ issue, it's a pilot issue. The pilot would be the punishable party.

And eventually skydiving in general.

This post fits just as well here:http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2973447#2973447

Too many of these "look at how cool I am stunts" and the FAA will be over regulating the heck out of us.....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I was there. If anyone wants details of the stunt, off the record PMs :P. Footage is gonna be on his movie "199" and in the opening of a new RedBull movie.
I can say that it was not 15,000'. Waaay lower.

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

How did the hookup with only a climbing harness work?

There was a metal ring showing above his shorts, in the lower back. The guy hooking him up climbed on him like doing a rodeo and used a carabiner.
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Hmm... I don't know his motives for it but to me it seem really stupid.

But then again some people will do almost anything to get some attention (I'm basing the attention perspective on the fact that they managed to take a bunch of photoes of it... if he only did it because he wanted and purely for the adrenaline kick he wouldn't need any photoes right!?!)

Ah, well... some people are born to push the envelope... some just overdo it...

edit: I didn't read the article the first time around... so he's making a video... well... then the motivation is a combination of thrill seeking, fame and money I guess
Blue skies!

Anders Samuelsson
www.anderssamuelsson.se