jmar595

Cheapest DZ?

What is the cheapest DZ for AFF? I found one in California, Lodi, that is $1000 for the whole thing with all videos. There is on in Tulsa, Ok that is about $1100 no videos though. I live in Texas and want to go soon. Thanks for any help.

Why exactly would you want to decide where to do your AFF program based on price?

If you choose Lodi my recommendation would be to schedule your course with Ed, also known as "bodypilot1".
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Don't exactly have a lot of funds. I gotta figure out a way to come up with $1000 for that even, then drive over there and such. I got a baby on the way and I feel selfish for wanting to spend $1000 on this when there is so much more I need to do, with the house and such.

You know the $1000 only gets you through AFF. After that jumps still cost $20-ish each, plus equipment rental. Buying a rig will be at least $2000, plus another $1000 for jumpsuit/helmet/altimeter/goggles/etc.

With a baby on the way and low on funds, this might not be the best time to start jumping.

How are you gonna get to Lodi?

I think you'd do better to investigate local options. Becoming a skydiver is more than taking a course. It's very nice to become part of the community you'll be jumping with. Take it jump by jump.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I know it is not the best time. But, I can't stand it anymore, this is the one thing in the world that I want to do more than anything, fly. I will get another job, find a good dz and trade A&P services. I'll find a way, I have a car I can probabally get $1000 for, need to fix the starter first. I JUST NEED TO JUMP!

With a baby on the way and low on funds, this might not be the best time to start jumping.

I was going to say the same thing Dave. At $1000 for the AFF program you are still looking at another ~18 jumps to meet the rest of the requirements to get your A licence. Some of those are going to be coach jumps at close to $50-75 plus gear rental charges. Gear rental is $15-30 a jump or a flat rate of $50-100 per day depending on where you are. Its not uncommon to spend $2500 to get your A licence then you need to either continue renting gear or buy your own.

It might be a better idea to look at doing something like AFF level 1 now and then spend some time over the next year or two to save up some money to jump again once your baby is born. Jumping is a large time commitment also, its not really a "I'm running out for 2 hours, will be right back" type thing. With a new baby it might be hard to find the time to jump all the time.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

In my opinion you are better off taking the progression at the dz that you are more likely to call home, then one at some far off dz just to save some cash.

You will build better relationships with the staff, you will become a part of the dz easier, and you won't be some tourist who shows up with a bunch of bad habits from some other dz.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I got my A-License for $750 including all 25 jumps, coaching and gear rental at Skydive Wissota in Wisconsin. Not really on your way but I also had to drive 10h too to get there. Totally worth it.

$750, thats not possible:o. Did you get to ride in an airplane for that price or did you have to hike up to a cliff top and jump.;)
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

If you want to fall into the trap of paying a coach feel free but at many DZs there is plenty of people that will jump with new jumpers for free including me. And although I don't call Wissota my home DZ I do ocassionally jump there and I wouldn't be surprised at all if you were able to get your lisc for less than a grand.

Doug

I was going to say the same thing Dave. At $1000 for the AFF program you are still looking at another ~18 jumps to meet the rest of the requirements to get your A licence. Some of those are going to be coach jumps at close to $50-75 plus gear rental charges. Gear rental is $15-30 a jump or a flat rate of $50-100 per day depending on where you are. Its not uncommon to spend $2500 to get your A licence then you need to either continue renting gear or buy your own.

It might be a better idea to look at doing something like AFF level 1 now and then spend some time over the next year or two to save up some money to jump again once your baby is born. Jumping is a large time commitment also, its not really a "I'm running out for 2 hours, will be right back" type thing. With a new baby it might be hard to find the time to jump all the time.

At most DZ's in order to have a coach spend the time to do all the correct ground review and the in air evaluation it takes an hour or two for a proper coach jump. I give my time away for free but some DZ's charge for the coahes time. You still need to have a coach or instructor go along to verify and coach on the A licence requirements.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you want to fall into the trap of paying a coach feel free but at many DZs there is plenty of people that will jump with new jumpers for free including me.

If you are talking about jumping with someone that has their A license that is great, but there are restrictions on who can jump with students (unlicensed jumpers) much less teach them what is needed for the A license card.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

What is the cheapest DZ for AFF? I found one in California, Lodi, that is $1000 for the whole thing with all videos. There is on in Tulsa, Ok that is about $1100 no videos though. I live in Texas and want to go soon. Thanks for any help.

A couple of points here. First getting through AFF is only part of the progression to make you a licensed skydiver. You need to be looking at the whole student program not just AFF. Second shopping for the cheapest skydiving instruction is not necessarily a good idea. Frequently you get what you pay for. That’s not to say that there is not inexpensive, high quality instruction available, it’s just that the two things don’t necessarily go hand in hand. Third, you have a major DZ near your home, I guarantee it is not the cheapest in the country but it is an excellent DZ with a very high quality and modern student program. Have you thought about visiting it and asking questions about the student program?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

At most DZ's in order to have a coach spend the time to do all the correct ground review and the in air evaluation it takes an hour or two for a proper coach jump. I give my time away for free but some DZ's charge for the coahes time. You still need to have a coach or instructor go along to verify and coach on the A licence requirements.

I'm trying to figure out where you'd actually need a coach to complete the A license requirements. On the A license 2 page prof card there are some exit and freefall skills and I remember doing those with a coach myself(just covered her slot and packjob), but I don't see where you're required to jump with someone who has a coach rating to complete them. It seems like you just need an instructor to sign off on it.

I'm trying to figure out where you'd actually need a coach to complete the A license requirements. On the A license 2 page prof card there are some exit and freefall skills and I remember doing those with a coach myself(just covered her slot and packjob), but I don't see where you're required to jump with someone who has a coach rating to complete them. It seems like you just need an instructor to sign off on it.

That sounds a lot like how I learned. Talk to some people and go up and try to do it yourself. Basically pulling something like a swoop to dock smooth out of your ass. You'll learn just as well as I did. You won't.

It wasn't until hundreds of jumps later and coaching that cost a LOT more then your typical USPA coach that I learned how to do those skills correctly.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Don't exactly have a lot of funds. I gotta figure out a way to come up with $1000 for that even, then drive over there and such. I got a baby on the way and I feel selfish for wanting to spend $1000 on this when there is so much more I need to do, with the house and such.

I think you would do the child a favor by putting it up for adoption or selling it to a Turk for a bag of rubies and five chickens. That is my formal recommendation for being able to afford skydiving.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

That sounds a lot like how I learned. Talk to some people and go up and try to do it yourself. Basically pulling something like a swoop to dock smooth out of your ass. You'll learn just as well as I did. You won't.

Why would the person have to go up and attempt it themselves? Once they're cleared for solos they can jump with D license holders for student group freefall training.

And many DZs have groups of very skilled people around that do just that, take in newbies and help them progress.

Why would the person have to go up and attempt it themselves? Once they're cleared for solos they can jump with D license holders for student group freefall training.

Until they have an A license they are still students. So you still have to be a coach or someone cleared by the USPA, etc.

I understand that there are people willing to help, they are great but not necessarily always there to help when you need them. Coaching doesn't always cost money. However, when I try to learn a new skill and go to someone for help it costs that person a lot of their time. Its also getting information and skill from that individual that cost that person their time and money to learn. So I like to give back to that person for their time and skill. That's just me, I guess. Its respect for that person's skill, experience and their willingness to share it with me.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

First off, you shouldn't use price as a basis to pick where you learn to skydive. I did that and ended up paying way more than the intial fee. You get what you pay for. I may be wrong, anyone feel free to correct me, but I believe Lodi does AFF with one instructor the entire training. Whereas the uspa program, you would have 2 instructors for your first 3 jumps. Lodi is a non-uspa dropzone. They don't have to comply with the rules that uspa dz's do.

Have you factored in the cost to go to one of these places, instead of doing it local? Also, if you don't do your AFF all within a certain amount of time you will have to do refresher jumps. Which will cost more money. I know Skydive the Farm has a program for something like $1600 or so for your jumps up to an a license. But it is right outside of Atlanta.

Last but not least, you have to consider how much all the gear costs will be once you get through AFF. If you don't jump much after your AFF you will have to do a refresher. $$$ You have to do AT LEAST 1 jump every 30 days. This is a sport that will take up time and for me was a lifestyle change because now most of my good friends are skydivers because you will find if you fall in love with the sport, you will spend A LOT, if not all, of your free time jumping.

Until they have an A license they are still students. So you still have to be a coach or someone cleared by the USPA, etc.

No that's changed recently. From the SIM:

6. Students training for group freefall

a. Student freefall training for group freefall jumps must be conducted by either:

1. Student freefall training for group freefall jumps must be conducted by either A USPA Coach under the supervision of a USPA Instructor or;

2. USPA D license holders provided there is a minimum ratio of one D license holder to one student with a maximum of a 4-way.

I understand that there are people willing to help, they are great but not necessarily always there to help when you need them. Coaching doesn't always cost money. However, when I try to learn a new skill and go to someone for help it costs that person a lot of their time. Its also getting information and skill from that individual that cost that person their time and money to learn. So I like to give back to that person for their time and skill. That's just me, I guess. Its respect for that person's skill, experience and their willingness to share it with me.

I don't have a problem with that and you can learn more faster from someone who makes it their profession to teach. But I really think the sport has gotten a "if you're not paying for it, you're not really learning something of value" attitude over the years and it's just not true.

No that's changed recently. From the SIM:

6. Students training for group freefall

a. Student freefall training for group freefall jumps must be conducted by either:

1. Student freefall training for group freefall jumps must be conducted by either A USPA Coach under the supervision of a USPA Instructor or;

2. USPA D license holders provided there is a minimum ratio of one D license holder to one student with a maximum of a 4-way.

Yes and no. You either misunderstand the change or selectively choose parts of the SIM to make your point. You missed the part where it is specified that all student (defined as non-A license holders) training must be under the supervision of a USPA instructor. In other words D license holders can’t just go jump with students, they need to be approved by the "I" in charge of the student program. This is not automatic. Most DZ’s keep a tight reign on this for a good reason. A “D” license can substitute for a coach rating but the intent is still that they are training in the proper teaching techniques and understand the material they are trying to cover. Unfortunately most skydivers have no clue about the current Integrated Student Program.

I don't have a problem with that and you can learn more faster from someone who makes it their profession to teach. But I really think the sport has gotten a "if you're not paying for it, you're not really learning something of value" attitude over the years and it's just not true.

I completely agree with you in terms of learning AFTER obtaining a license. I completely DISAGREE with you as far as students. Unfortunately, to many jumpers (always the ones without instructional ratings or old timers that were taught via the “Truman” school of skydiving) are clueless about the modern teaching curriculum and the training that is supposed to go into all of the AFF and coach jumps.

I think the thread should be retitled as "Cheapest divorce lawyer?":ph34r:

Seriously though, to be safe in this sport you need to stay current in this sport. That means money. If you're hell bent on jumping, go find a SL/IAD course. You'll pay roughly the same in the long run to get your A license, but the per jump cost is much less, especially if you fail an AFF level. You can also save on travel expenses.