kevinsa

Jumping off the roof of a skyvan

I second that question...

How did they do that and where do I sign up?

check this one (somme footage is the same, more fun exits)

they go out from the hatch on the copilot side

www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3699&string=pink
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

>they only stopped one of them.

?? Didn't see any shutting down of engines.

Didnt look either I'll wager
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>they only stopped one of them.

?? Didn't see any shutting down of engines.

Didnt look either I'll wager

1) It's difficult / impossible to tell how fast the props are actually turning from watching video due to temporal aliasing.

2) If the power is cut to the engine but the prop is still spinning and you hit it, it's still going to ruin your weekend.

3) I'm not a twin-rated pilot, but my understanding is that cutting the power to one engine forces you to fly in a slightly wonky orientation to maintain level flight and probably puts people trying to climb around on the roof (and the whole aircraft as a result) at more of a risk than if you just left the thing running.

/edited to add:

4) Given the stability issues the skyvan airframe experiences with both engines running and CGs moving about inside the fuselage, I'd consider experimenting with even more bizarre CG configurations with only one engine running to be, pardon my French, fucking stupid.

> Didnt look either I'll wager

I did indeed. You aren't referring to the props that seem to be slowly turning, do you? That's a result of the camera shutter speed; the engines aren't really shut down.

Well Bill Given that the OTHER prop is rotating just a smidge faster in the same take i would hazzard a guess and say YES it is not powered on the right side try looking at times from 1:00 to 1:15 both props are visuble one IS working one is NOT working.

it's not rocket science

just out of curiosity have you even looked at the video or are you just talking out of your hat?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

> At 2:13 of the YouTube vid, the prop is clearly shut down . . .

If you say so. From the video, both props are turning; the left prop appears to be turning more slowly than the right. I assumed both were shutter effects.

Does that Skyvan have Garretts?

I don't pretend to know much about propellers and engines. I do know a lot about shutter stutter on high speed objects regardless of framerate. Therefore, I'll retract my statement of "clearly shut down" and say that one propeller clearly has very little movement compared to the other propeller.
Were it shutter stutter (effects) then you'd see both propellers appearing to be in perfect sync, although potentially at different positions, as the camera only has one shutterspeed, exposing both propellers at the same time, for the same length of time, at the same framerate (almost assuredly 60i).