AnotherGoodin

Tension Knot

I'm not sure how to decipher that picture?

What exactly occured?

Looks like the toggle was stowed almost properly, except either the excess brake line or the canopy end of the brake line was wrapped around some part of the toggle. Either when the toggle was released or at opening, instant knot.

I'm guessing based on the picture and my own experience doing something not quite as bad once or twice.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

That's exactly right.

The same thing happened to me on jump #32 i think. Was jumping rental gear, opened, reached up, grabbed the toggles and one wouldn't come out of the housing. At the time i couldn't land on my risers so it ended up being a cutaway.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Tension knot was my first cutaway too. On my PD190. ;)

It was my impression that a tension knot was a knot that was induced by worn and twisted lines. They end up curling up like a telephone cord that's been spun up too much.

This looks more like the excess got looped around and cause a knot. (As opposed to a tension knot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Tension knot was my first cutaway too. On my PD190. ;)

It was my impression that a tension knot was a knot that was induced by worn and twisted lines. They end up curling up like a telephone cord that's been spun up too much.

This looks more like the excess got looped around and cause a knot. (As opposed to a tension knot.

You are right, a tension knot is where the lines or part of the lines, usually near the cascades throw a half hitch on deploy. If you release the tension off the line, the knot will fall out. This the term "tension knot".

From the picture, it looks like the excess brake line was mis-routed and hung up.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

From the picture, it looks like the excess brake line was mis-routed and hung up.

Yep that's exactly what happend.. when they found his main that is what the toggle looked like but in the pic. they did a renactment of what it originally looked like.
If life gives you lemons then make lemonade, if not then go thirsty and keep on truckin'

Yep that's exactly what happend.. when they found his main that is what the toggle looked like but in the pic. they did a renactment of what it originally looked like.

Then it was not a "Tension knot" but a simple packing error. Little things can kill you in this sport. Attention to detail can keep you alive.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

It should be noted that that was a Sabre 190 with 4 brake lines, which is why it looks like there's way more line than there is supposed to be.

I *think* that the unstowed brake line was wrapped around the top of the toggle, preventing the release of the cats-eye on the stowed brake.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.