mircan

Is there something wrong with my openings?

Hi,
can anyone look at this video and tell me if these are OK openings or what is wrong with them?

Those are first jumps with my new safire 2. 139sqft and I load it 1.55 to 1.6 depending on gear that I wear.
I have shortened break lines a bit after this but it still openes the same.

Thanks.
dudeist skydiver #42

Those look like nice openings.

Usually the only way to adjust brake line length is on the line between the cats eye and the toggle, which has no affect on how the canopy opens.

Also I noticed you open, unstow your brakes, then collapse your slider, then grab your brakes again. Why not just collapse the slider first?

I was thinking more of what looks like an end cell closure and slider staying up at the half of the lines too long...
There were lots of slack in the brake lines (bow like shape) on factory settings. I had to pull down about 8+ inches to get brake lines close to straight (wihout distorting trailing edge).

Also I noticed you open, unstow your brakes, then collapse your slider, then grab your brakes again. Why not just collapse the slider first?

bad old habit. I jumped old f-111 7 cell accuracy canopy whose slider always stayed at the half of the lines. Unstowing the brakes and pumping them to get the slider down after opening was routine on every jump...

If you say these openings are ok, I`ll go with it.
dudeist skydiver #42

There were lots of slack in the brake lines (bow like shape) on factory settings. I had to pull down about 8+ inches to get brake lines close to straight (wihout distorting trailing edge).

You need to pull down the fronts as far as you can (from full brakes, it's way easier) then look up at the canopy, it shouldn't distort much if any then. I bet right now you can't even go to fronts because the canopy will start to buck... If so, definately too-short lines and like mentioned before that length has no bearing on openings. Safires open nice and slow, which is why I jump one for camera work :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Mircan,

I jumped a safire 2 159 for over 200 jumps and this (slider hanging up/ end cells closed) happened frequently-not every jump. I think your openings looked great. Sure beats the wrath of some other canopies out there! Enjoy the soft openings!
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I`ll try the fronts and see. So far I made just a couple of jumps due to the bad weather. And half of those were on bad spots, so I was just trying to get back to the DZ and didn`t have time to realy fly it.

I thought it would open slower though...
tnx
dudeist skydiver #42

brake lines look definitely too short.

and when you have a stuck slider like that, you can try pumping on rears instead of the brakes. On the fronts works too sometimes.

and also pull the slider down the risers, and loosen that chest strap. Let the canopy fly.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Nothing wrong there, far as I can see. I too have a Safire 2 139 but I'm only at a 1.04. I'm getting pretty much the same openings but my end cells are coming out a bit quicker....still absolutely sweet and soft, though. :)

"T'was ever thus."