bisqit999

Psychological and physiologic effects of skydiving?

No, but it would make a great research study (ahem..excuse) for someone in the psychology field.

edit...

So I lied...here's the abstract I came across. I have access to numerous scholarly databases because I'm currently a doctoral student...finally I can be of real help on this forum. Even if the research topic is not on target with what you are looking for, there are some great facts to be found in their study. It's tough to find meaningful studies out there on skydiving, but that just goes to show that it is an area that can benefit from new research.

I'll PM just you the full source, as I doubt the authors would like me distributing their published work freely as a forum attachment. :P

Emotional Changes in Skydivers in Relation to Experience (Abstract)
by Claire Bundesen and Ian R. Price

"The nature of the change in emotional experience from before to after a skydiving jump is examined in relation to the experience of the skydiver. The relationship between emotional experience, personality variables, and an addiction construct, is also examined. The results indicate an experience based shift in the change of emotion from pre-jump to post-jump. Novice skydivers (N = 29) experience much greater emotional contrast from pre-jump to post-jump than more experienced skydivers (N = 34) who are much more stable. Skydivers with intermediate experience (N = 42) lie between these extremes. Greater “addiction” to skydiving is strongly associated with greater experience and is uniquely predicted from a lower level of anxiety before the impending jump. Results are discussed in relation to the findings of Celsi, Rose, and Leigh (1993)."