auburnguy

Skyhook and Freebag

When someone cuts away using a skyhook, does the reserve freebag stay connected to the main? It looks like it does in the demo videos but I cant tell for sure.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

No
*Edit*
Well...the one cutaway I've seen on a tandem with a skyhook the freebag was lost.
AND...obviously on a total mal the freebag wouldn't stay with the main.

it is designed so that it can stay conected, but is it a simple hook method therefore the posiblity of it becoming unattached is always there, but if the freebag bridle and skyhook stay in tension then they 'should' remain together
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The cutaway I'm talking about we never even looked for the freebag...everyone just ASSumed it was tangles up with the main...who knows how close it was. [:/]
I tried looking on UPT's web-site...couldn't find anywhere that said what *should* happen with a cutaway...anyone know???

couldn't find anywhere that said what *should* happen with a cutaway...anyone know???

did you even read my post?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I tried looking on UPT's web-site...couldn't find anywhere that said what *should* happen with a cutaway...anyone know???

Somewhere in these forums, Bill Booth lamented the fact that the freebag remains connected in most cases since it costs him money in freebag replacements.

On my first skyhook cutaway, my freebag remained attached to my main. On my second, it disconnected but the freebag still landed about 50 yards from my main.

Edit to add the quote from Bill Booth:

Now as to cost. The Skyhook adds just $175 to the price of a new Vector (it's "free" on all tandem and student rigs we make). A new freebag and pilot chute costs $195, and the Skyhook greatly improves the odds that you will not lose them after a cutaway. So, if a Skyhook saves you just one freebag in your life, it is actually free, and you can buy a case of beer (on me) with the extra $20! So, if you have a lot of malfunctions, it might actually COST me money to sell you a Skyhook.

Owned by Remi #?

if your rsl isnt hooked up and you cut away then it separates

yeah that's kind of a given, if it's not hooked up it's not going to work at all
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't have the literature here with me, but I believe the manual says that one of the reasons the method used to tack the skyhook line to the freebag bridle was changed (on version 2 of the skyhook) was to increase the likelihood of them staying together.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

The cutaway I'm talking about we never even looked for the freebag...everyone just ASSumed it was tangles up with the main...who knows how close it was. [:/]

Bill talking about skyhook.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ_zE3eFdw&feature=related

Part two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVRSIicQDk&feature=related[/url]

It all depends on they type of malfunction you have.

If you have something out, but you need to chop the main stays with the freebag, but it you have nothing i.e. a total, baglock the freebag operated as if you had no skyhook
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Somewhere in these forums, Bill Booth lamented the fact that the freebag remains connected in most cases since it costs him money in freebag replacements.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2973585;#2973585

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

It all depends on they type of malfunction you have.

If you have something out, but you need to chop the main staysCAN STAY with the freebag, but it you have nothing i.e. a total, baglock the freebag operated as if you had no skyhook

My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

yeah that's kind of a given, if it's not hooked up it's not going to work at all

I heard an instructor and S&TA say once "I don't need my RSL connected because I have a skyhook." So it's not a given for everyone. You'd think/hope that's a given but unfortunately it's not. The skyhook RSL has been hyped up so much that some people have no idea what it actually is, but they just know it makes you totally super safe. Some people act like jumping with a skyhook makes them practically invincible.

I heard an instructor and S&TA say once "I don't need my RSL connected because I have a skyhook." So it's not a given for everyone. You'd think/hope that's a given but unfortunately it's not. The skyhook RSL has been hyped up so much that some people have no idea what it actually is, but they just know it makes you totally super safe. Some people act like jumping with a skyhook makes them practically invincible.

Some people are just dangerously stupid:| and they instruct too:S
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?