ls1513a

Skydiving Questionnaire

I'm doing an ethnography of skydiving for my anthropology class, any answers to the following would be immensely helpful!

1) Name (first and given) :
2) Are you married ? Living in a civil union ? In couple or single?
3) Do you have children?
4) Do you work? What is your job?

5) How long have you been skydiving?
6) How many jumps do you have?
7) How did you start skydiving?
8) Why?
9) How many times per year do you spend on a drop zone (approximatively)?

10) Do you considers skydivers as being part of a community? Why?
11) If yes, how did you feel you were part of this community?
12) What do you consider being part of skydiving which is not part of the jump (the jump being briefing-jump-debriefing)?
13) Do you consider parties at the drop zone as being part of the skydiving world? Why?
14) What do you think about non-skydivers?
15) Have you already wanted to stop skydiving? Why?
16) What do you think about before and while jumping?
17) Do you keep contact with your skydiver friends during winter? Why?
18) What were for you the most important moments in your skydiving life?

19) How do you think media represents skydiving?

1) Name (first and given) : StuntbabeX
2) Are you married ? Living in a civil union ? In couple or single? single!
3) Do you have children? nope
4) Do you work? What is your job? Student

5) How long have you been skydiving? one year
6) How many jumps do you have? 67
7) How did you start skydiving? I drove to the dropzone and did a tandem :)
8) Why? Looked cool and all the cool kids are doing it
9) How many times per year do you spend on a drop zone (approximatively)? how many visits? at least two a month

10) Do you considers skydivers as being part of a community? Why?
Yeah. Theres a culture about us. ;)
11) If yes, how did you feel you were part of this community?
I bought beer and then suddenly people liked me.
12) What do you consider being part of skydiving which is not part of the jump (the jump being briefing-jump-debriefing)?
beer, packing
13) Do you consider parties at the drop zone as being part of the skydiving world? Why?
Of course. Its what skydivers do.
14) What do you think about non-skydivers?
Theyre ok
15) Have you already wanted to stop skydiving? Why?
No
16) What do you think about before and while jumping?
Before: Yay! After: Yay! That was fun!
17) Do you keep contact with your skydiver friends during winter? Why?
My dz goes all year long.
18) What were for you the most important moments in your skydiving life?
First jump and first time coming back to the sport from an injury. Also, the first "close call" where I almost shat my pants.

19) How do you think media represents skydiving?
Not accurately.

Why would we give you our name when you don't give us yours?>:(

Are you female?
Do you have a b/f?
What is your name?
Will you date non-jumpers?

Shouldn't we just go with the short list?

(This thread pops up every... 3 months or so.)

I answered one last year that was theoretically connected with a university and used a one-time email address. That address gets huge spam each day.

Marketing firms seeking email addresses.
Lonely 14yo boys seeking pics.
Stalkers.
:D

OK. I#ll give it a shot.

1) Name (first and given) : Speedy
2) Are you married ? Living in a civil union ? In couple or single? Married
3) Do you have children? Yes
4) Do you work? What is your job? Sort of, program computers

5) How long have you been skydiving? Too long for it to be healthy
6) How many jumps do you have? Lots
7) How did you start skydiving? When I was 6 years old I saw some soldiers jump. I thought "I want to do that". So I wait 30 odds years and then enrolled on a course.
8) Why? That's what I ask myself all the time
9) How many times per year do you spend on a drop zone (approximatively)? Virtually all my free time.

10) Do you considers skydivers as being part of a community? Yes, A bunch of crazies
11) If yes, how did you feel you were part of this community? I believe I can fly
12) What do you consider being part of skydiving which is not part of the jump (the jump being briefing-jump-debriefing)? Drinking lots of beer
13) Do you consider parties at the drop zone as being part of the skydiving world? YesWhy? They involve drinking beer and falling down
14) What do you think about non-skydivers? I don't think about them
15) Have you already wanted to stop skydiving? Yes Why? I hate staying in hospital
16) What do you think about before and while jumping? I am going to die
17) Do you keep contact with your skydiver friends during winter? Yes Why? They are jumping, just like me
18) What were for you the most important moments in your skydiving life? Surviving the last jump

19) How do you think media represents skydiving? They don't
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

1) Name (first and given) : I have no name.
2) Are you married ? Living in a civil union ? In couple or single? I have no one.
3) Do you have children? I have no spawn.
4) Do you work? What is your job? I have no job.
5) How long have you been skydiving? Since I started
6) How many jumps do you have? I don't have them anymore, they're a figment of my past. I cannot possess them.
7) How did you start skydiving? Ran out airplane door.
8) Why? Why not?
9) How many times per year do you spend on a drop zone (approximatively)? Only when I'm on the ground, the rest of the time I'm there I'm in the air.
10) Do you considers skydivers as being part of a community? Why? No, it is very difficult to commune while skydiving.
11) If yes, how did you feel you were part of this community? I do not have to answer this question but feel compelled to not leave any blanks.
12) What do you consider being part of skydiving which is not part of the jump (the jump being briefing-jump-debriefing)? I do not know what "the jump being briefing-jump-debriefing" means but is sounds like fun.
13) Do you consider parties at the drop zone as being part of the skydiving world? Why? Yes, there are lots of drugs and morally flexible women and that's what skydiving is all about.
14) What do you think about non-skydivers? I think they have not skydived.
15) Have you already wanted to stop skydiving? Why? Yes. Every time I get close to the Earth I want to stop skydiving. This desire of mine has been of great benefit to me.
16) What do you think about before and while jumping? I think about stopping the skydive.
17) Do you keep contact with your skydiver friends during winter? Why? No. They're not stylish enough or rich enough to grace my presence.
18) What were for you the most important moments in your skydiving life? Well, this one time...
19) How do you think media represents skydiving? In newspapers or sometime with television broadcasts.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

1) Name: Simon
2) Are you married ? NO!
3) Do you have children? no
4) Do you work? yes What is your job? Weapons technician (submarines)

5) How long have you been skydiving? Just started!
6) How many jumps do you have? 3
7) How did you start skydiving? AFF
8) Why? I wanted to make some cool friends who share the same interests.
9) How many times per year do you spend on a drop zone (approximatively)? I havn't even been skydiving a year yet!

10) Do you considers skydivers as being part of a community? Yes Why? They all love their sport
11) If yes, how did you feel you were part of this community? Hmm to soon to say yet.
12) What do you consider being part of skydiving which is not part of the jump (the jump being briefing-jump-debriefing)? feeling free
13) Do you consider parties at the drop zone as being part of the skydiving world? yes Why? part of the fun.
14) What do you think about non-skydivers? same way i think about skydivers, everyone has their own interests
15) Have you already wanted to stop skydiving? NO Why? beacause i just started and it's GREAT!
16) What do you think about before and while jumping? ALTITUDE!!!!!
17) Do you keep contact with your skydiver friends during winter? dunno yet Why? i just started
18) What were for you the most important moments in your skydiving life? knowing how to not panic when faced with a mal.

19) How do you think media represents skydiving? NOT ENOUGH, they only show the bad things, not the cool things like 100 canopies stacked together!!
If in doubt, whip it out...

ethnography of skydiving?? Yeah right and we are supposed to believe that...the fact that most of the responses you got makes a joke of you tells it all, especially when you choose not to respond and defend yourself. This smells like some advertising company trying to get some info off of people.

1) Name (first and given) : Steve Noonan, check my profile.
2) Are you married ? Living in a civil union ? In couple or single? Still single, almost married a few times.
3) Do you have children? I've been keeping track through the decades, I have no children.
4) Do you work? What is your job? Semi Retired.
5) How long have you been skydiving? 39 years in August. First jump in 1969, did three the first day.
6) How many jumps do you have? 5000
7) How did you start skydiving? In the US Air Force. The door opened up and I got out.
8) Why? Because I wanted to.
9) How many times per year do you spend on a drop zone (appreciatively)? Too much.
10) Do you consider skydivers as being part of a community? Why? Yes, because they are.
11) If yes, how did you feel you were part of this community? Because I am.
12) What do you consider being part of skydiving which is not part of the jump (the jump being briefing-jump-debriefing)? The Prima donna Skygod organizer Politics.
13) Do you consider parties at the drop zone as being part of the skydiving world? Why? Yes, because they are.
14) What do you think about non-skydivers? They don't skydive.
15) Have you already wanted to stop skydiving? Why? Yes, the Prima donna organizers get on my nerves.
16) What do you think about before and while jumping? The Jump.
17) Do you keep contact with your skydiver friends during winter? Why? Yes, because I want too.

18) What were for you the most important moments in your skydiving life? Winning in competition, state and World Records, hot demonstration jumps, good times with good friends, losing good friends, the girlfriends.

19) How do you think media represents skydiving? Very poorly.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

if you don't believe us just don't answer, gee! we wanted to show how skydivers think about their sport, how media represents them, how non-skydivers think about it... if you don't believe us, we are of Cymene Howe 's class, anthropology of media, at american university washington... sounds good enough for you???
thank you, everyone who answered it truly...
by the way, one of my partner is a skydiver, from Gap, France. if you still think we are an advertising company after that, well...

So what or why not ;-)

1) Name (first and given) : Springbock
2) Are you married ? Living in a civil union ? In couple or single? I'm a Skydiver, am I not?
3) Do you have children? Nope
4) Do you work? What is your job? Electronic Engineering

5) How long have you been skydiving? 6 Years
6) How many jumps do you have? Nota as many I wanted to do
7) How did you start skydiving? I took a plane
8) Why? Needed to
9) How many times per year do you spend on a drop zone (approximatively)? I live on the dropzone

10) Do you considers skydivers as being part of a community? Why? ?
11) If yes, how did you feel you were part of this community? Probably
12) What do you consider being part of skydiving which is not part of the jump (the jump being briefing-jump-debriefing)? I consider everything to Skydiving from arriving to the Dropzone to Leaving it and including answering Questions on Dropzone.com
13) Do you consider parties at the drop zone as being part of the skydiving world? Why? I consider Parties as a Part of my Life
14) What do you think about non-skydivers? They just don't get it
15) Have you already wanted to stop skydiving? Why? No
16) What do you think about before and while jumping? Before I jump I think about how I want to perform the jump, while jumping I think about why its not working out
17) Do you keep contact with your skydiver friends during winter? Why? I meet them in the plane
18) What were for you the most important moments in your skydiving life? Every single Skydive

19) How do you think media represents skydiving? Do you include youtube to the Media?

Take care up there!