winston_06

Can you log tandem jumps as an experienced skydiver?

Yes and yes. I log all my tandems that I have done to help people go through their training, or to help a friend get recurrent after the winter. :)

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Depends why you log your jumps really. If you are after a rating then being on the front of a tandem is not a jump in which you have done much work... but that could describe a lot of jumps really! :P

I see the log book as a personal record and, to be frank, all sorts of things get recorded in there. So I say bung it in so that you have a record of having done it. :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

thanks for the reply guys, i think your right you know, i look at it as you are getting out of the plane and landing so it must be a skydive of some sorts, just being strapped to someone else!

but 5 people said no! i would like to know the reasons behind that...it seems logical to log them...but i guess there is no written rule over this.

mmmm...:)

yea this seems pretty dumb. I dont know why 5 people would say no. the way I see it you exited a aircraft and landed under parachute. to me thats pretty much the definition of a skydive. Its also very close to websters definition. the fact that you are strapped to another jumper has nothing to do with it. You are both assuming the same risks and are facing the same dangers. After some students have fallen from the harness, some could argue that you are facing more danger by being on the front.
If the passenger cannot rightfully log it then the TM really couldnt either. Afterall they were on the same jump and acted together. Also the USPA recognizes them as loggable jumps.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

I don't necessarily agree with this analogy but when this question was asked before: does a UPS pilot log his flying hours?

someone said: it is only freight but he is still flying the plane!
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

If you want to get technical, a tandem jump isn't excluded by the criteria for logging in USPA SIM 3-1 part C. In this case, (right or wrong) USPA is ambiguous so, if I ever do a tandem jump I'm going to log it. B|

http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.