speedy

Will youtube put people off Tandem jumps.

My worst tandem landings tend to be when a gust goes from 20 to 10 right at the time I start my flair.

Quite right and you can't see wind on a video.

I am in no way judging the TM or suggesting that this is common in Tandem jumps.

I was just wondering if people might browse through youtube and find this stuff and then decide maybe they won't try a tandem.

To those that posted that the landing looked fairly normal, all I can say is that we have either have damn good TM's at my DZ, or ..... I'll let you fill in the rest
;)
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

I spent a few years packing tandems at WFFC. I loved it. The TM's were really competitive for the loads, and being loyal to one TM and taking care of him usually meant good news for me$$$.

Anyways, there were 2 TM's (I'll omit the names) Using absolute Gutter gear. I mean, the old PD 9-cell F1-11 canopies, so out of trim that they had at least one cutaway per year. I watched on TM consistently smash in like on the video. It bothered me that people saw that as acceptable.

You can make a butt load of money with a tandem rig, but it's your responsibility to put aside money in a maintenance/replacement account. I know a particular owner's rig that should be retired, but some folks spend every nickel they get.[:/]

I'd hate to add another layer of regulations, but maybe tandem equipment should have some mandatory replacement schedules for lines, canopies, etc.

Be careful what you ask for, though.:S

>I think the reason people are drawn after seeing the evening news
>report is because many of them say "hey I didn't know we could skydive
>right here in town(or some other relative disatnce from thier house). Why
>don't we go give it a try?"

Well, except that even movies that depict skydiving in a bad light increase student starts.

Why pick on bad tandem landings on youtube?
What about the hundreds of other skydive videos on youtube by "experts", crashing into countless objects, demos gone bad, hook turns gone wild, etc....

Don't worry about it, the rest of us do a fine job ruining the sports reputation. And guess what, the first timers still flock to the DZ.

I know a particular owner's rig that should be retired, but some folks spend every nickel they get.

The really slick operators just swap out that old worn out main for the fresh new reserve and then sell it ad with a new main.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo