scroadload

My new jumpsuit

:)I then proceeded to modify the pattern to skydiving needs. I added booties, arm and leg grips, removed the high collar, pockets, waist band, inner lining etc. The sewing was a learning process since I have only sewn some pillows in the past. I did the sewing on a 30 yr. old Sears machine that had zig-zag and a few other stiches. The pattern came with good instructions that were easy to follow (some terms I had to look up).
It took me 2 weekend to complete the suit and I’m looking forward to trying it. ( winter’s still here). If my fall rate is not what I hope it will be I would not hesitate to make another suit and make changes in material or sizing. Since the cost is low I wouldn’t feel bad about making another. So if you need a new suit try making your own.

Blue’s to You

John
D-2626, SCR1999, SCS641, NSCR2350, GW6909

Blue Skies!!!!!!

So if you need a new suit try making your own.

Good for you for taking on the challenge of trying to make your own suit. Let us know how it holds up once you've had a chance to take it up in the air - it'll be interesting to see how a pattern designed for a different sport holds up to freefall speeds. Did you make any modifications to accommodate a higher level of expected stress?

For me, the cost of a jumpsuit is a bargain, quite honestly. Although the raw materials cost may be lower to do it yourself, I'm thrilled to pay someone else for the time and skill to assemble it (not to mention the frustration factor I'm sure would ensue if I even attempted it).

I've also been very happy with the quality both suits that I own. One is from a major manufacturer (Bev Suit) and one is from a smaller jumpsuit maker (vskydiver here on dropzone.com). Having watched Valinda make suits, I know how much time and sewing skill goes into making those suits. For someone like me whose sewing skill extends only to replacing buttons and mending a hem or two, I'll leave it to the pros.

After having purchased a new jumpsuit from a major manufacturer and being very dissatisfied with the results. I was not ready to spend another $350 to chance another failure so I thought I would try my hand at making my own.

What, if any, attempts did you make to remedy the situation with the major manufacturer? What were the results?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi John,

As I mentioned in the email, this is the article that I wrote for PARACHUTIST back in ~'71 on my jumpsuit.

Howard White, who posts here somewhat, still has a copy of the magazine that the article appeared in.

Contact him if you might want to read about my travails.

JerryBaumchen

I have one Frrefly jumpsuit and 2 pair of freefly pants, that were made at work by the local sewing teacher.
I took her a pair of brand name pants and suit, and she made her patterns from there., they are reinforced in all the right places, and have lasted 4 years so far. total material costs $100 AUS and a bunch of flowers and bottle of wine:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

:)I then proceeded to modify the pattern to skydiving needs. I added booties, arm and leg grips, removed the high collar, pockets, waist band, inner lining etc. The sewing was a learning process since I have only sewn some pillows in the past. I did the sewing on a 30 yr. old Sears machine that had zig-zag and a few other stiches. The pattern came with good instructions that were easy to follow (some terms I had to look up).
It took me 2 weekend to complete the suit and I’m looking forward to trying it. ( winter’s still here). If my fall rate is not what I hope it will be I would not hesitate to make another suit and make changes in material or sizing. Since the cost is low I wouldn’t feel bad about making another. So if you need a new suit try making your own.

Blue’s to You

John

I too have recently been let down with the purchase of my fist jumpsuit. When I purchased it, I chose to put it on : "Express service (add $40) your suit will be shipped in 14 days, guaranteed!". Four weeks and phone call later I received it. My main complaint would be customer service. I expect to get what I paid for. I pay good money for something, and I expect you to live up to your end of the bargain.
I do have to admit that it fit like a glove. Also, when I called to ask why I had not recieived it yet, The owner told me I'd have it by next week. It was here within the week. Also they did not leave me hanging when I called. they always returned my calls. On the other hand I could have used the $40 for three hop n pops or two full alti. jumps. Or Beer!!!!;)
See ya in a minute. Peace out!

On the other hand I could have used the $40 for three hop n pops or two full alti. jumps. Or Beer!!!!

If you paid for express service and didn't receive express service, I can't imagine why you didn't ask for and receive a refund.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

On the other hand I could have used the $40 for three hop n pops or two full alti. jumps. Or Beer!!!!

If you paid for express service and didn't receive express service, I can't imagine why you didn't ask for and receive a refund.

If I have to "ask", for a refund, then it probably is going to be more of a hassle, for me...... If I don't get the answer I want to hear?.......Instant asshole. And that never gets me anywhere. So, in this case, I'll live and learn. :)
See ya in a minute. Peace out!

Hey I'll take your word for it.
I knew him in the 70's and don't recall him ever having an accent or being refered to as anything other then Canadian.
Then again, most of the 70s is seen through a mist for meB|

Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI