nakedfool

Energy Drinks Consumption? How much do you drink a week??

Hey Folks,
I was just curious as to how much RedBull, Go Fast, Energy drinks you consume a week...

I would also like to start another poll as to the reasons you drink them (mental awareness, jolt, etc.) if the response to this is interesting. I don't drink much of this stuff, but I feel like a lot of people drink this stuff at the DZ.

-sTv

Energy drinks are the bomb. Red bull is tasty, but lacking in caffeine, and too small. When you drink a ton of energy, you go to sugar free pretty quick, because that much sugar has you feeling lame after awhile. The best energy I have found is the "No Carb" rockstars. This is the blue can, not the white. 120mg of caffeine per serving=240 per regular can, and 360 in the huge cans. Serve super cold, Mmmm delicious. The reason I drink them, is partly weight loss but mostly because I have a hard time not feeling like I just woke up, even later in the day. Great for combating a hangover as well

And this is in General Skydiving why?

Probably just to piss YOU off.:P
I like the Monster Green in the 16oz. cans. Get them for around a buck each when I buy them by the case at Costco.

Edited to add the stupid smiley...
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

I put down 3-5, but its not any of the drinks you listed. I prefer DoubleShots. They taste better and don't give me heartburn like having a couple of the other drinks do.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I started drinking the no-carb Monster last year in September - and promptly stopped when I started developing chest pain. Went to the doctor, had EKG, blood work, chest x-ray, all normal. Going for my stress test in a couple of days.

Doc says I'm ok, but my cholesterol needs major adjustment.

One thing: I'm very glad this sport has sponsors, and I wouldn't ever badmouth any of those companies....However, I do not understand why, in an already amped-up and dynamic environment such as skydiving, energy drinks are necessary.

In my mind, having a Monster or Redbull (or Dew, for that matter) during the jumping day is a bit like pouring AV fuel into a the gas tank of a Ferrari - sure, it's gonna go fast as fuck (no pun intended) and then it's gonna blow up.

According to my doctor, the effects of caffeine last up to 8 hours, and God only knows how long the caffeine in Monster lasts.

I don't mean to go off-topic, I just see a lot of jumpers drinking this stuff, and I'm puzzled by it.
T.I.N.S.

Because when you jump your adrenaline is going up and down, up and down. when you chug an energy drink after a jump, it keeps you from getting that "relaxed and tired" feeling. Oh and btw, increased octane in your fuel decreases your performance, not increase. Nitrous oxide would apply much better :P

Ive HEARD that people like to drink it because it can increase reaction speed and mental awareness....

Don't know if thats actually true or not. The amount of people I have seen fall asleep in the plane on the way to altitude makes me think these drinks could do some people some good....

Because a handful of ppl participated in this poll, I will like to continue and ask WHY? Just waiting for a few more responses...

:)
-sTv

Oh and btw, increased octane in your fuel decreases your performance, not increase. Nitrous oxide would apply much better.

Damn my bad simile. B|

I should have researched it further.

To actually answer the OP's first question, I drank about one a day, and actually really liked the taste of the blue Monster - like grape Sweet Tart soda. Kicked ass, without the vitamin flavor.

Now if I could just convince myself that it wasn't out to kill me......
T.I.N.S.

Thats odd that you had chest pains, I think I know exactly what you are talking about though. Your heart is taking large beats, and its almost like there is a kink in the line somewhere because it feels like a huge pressure increase. but it only lasts 5-10 seconds, less if you take some deep breaths. does this sound like what you had?

I've had those pains. I got really nervous and the doctor put me through all types of tests. It freaked me out that I was getting these pains.. and I am only 22.

They turned out to be gas. B|

I drink a lot of energy drinks on the weekends at the DZ. Usually start the morning off with one and then have another half way through the day. My favorite one is the Mountain Dew AMP energy drink. We have one at our dz.. for the life of me I can't remember the name. But they are only $1 and they taste pretty great.

Sobe has one that is Blueberry Pomegranate flavor, in a big can, and those are probably the best tasting type I've ever had. But they are a little pricey at like.. $2.50 a can.

I have this theory that after a certain point, the more caffeine you take, the more tired you get. I felt like doing an experiment, so I just took 1040mg of caffeine to see what happens. (200mg pills x4 and 1 240mg blue rockstar). I will report back my findings.

Edit to update: Fuck im trippin balls right now. Stick with 1 can!

Ive HEARD that people like to drink it because it can increase reaction speed and mental awareness....

Don't know if thats actually true or not. The amount of people I have seen fall asleep in the plane on the way to altitude makes me think these drinks could do some people some good....

Because a handful of ppl participated in this poll, I will like to continue and ask WHY? Just waiting for a few more responses...

:)
-sTv

Being wired out on sugar and caffeine is not going to make you skydive/fly any better, its going to over amp you and make you fly like shit.