WhuffoNoMo

Motivation for First Jump

Just wondering why you got in the sport - we all have our reasons but when asked we reply with a simple response that is already well practiced. I was on a 5-week European vacation with a friend that got home sick after 2 weeks. I opted to stay and was there "alone" for 3 weeks and decided to break out of my shell and do something that looked interesting. It was a tandem in Switzerland or a spiritual week in solitude in Ireland... I'm glad i chose option one since it was a 2-for-1 for me :)

Man, you need some other options!:S

How about fun? Because I wanted to fly like tinker bell? I was drunk and someone dared me?

I saw a demo when I was about 11 or 12. Fouth of July, ParaCommanders opening 1/2 mile away and landing on a river bank within 15 or 20' of the target X. Decided that I would try it when I could. Move ahead 7 years - saw the poster on the college dorm bulletin board and did it, twice. Couldn't keep going then but as soon as I was out of college and at a job started up for good.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

My inspiration for skydiving was watching the movie Dropzone too many times.

My motivation for actually doing it was a friend who jumped before me. I figured if she didn't back out then it must be okay.:S:S

Judy

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I got in it because a friend had started a year before and was trying to get me to try it. I thought he was fucking nuts and that there was no way I was gonna do it. But he persisted, as if he wasn't gonna take no for an answer. Finally I relented and went with him to the DZ. His instructor took me up on a tandem, and I was hooked. Even stood up the landing. I immediately signed up for the Static Line course and got started the next month. One year later that asshole friend quit after 12 jumps. >:( Money was tight for him and he was still in college. Oh well...

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

obviously there are way too many options to add into a poll but I notice how many people love polls on here and the chance to be part of something that doesn't really matter :) so..post a poll and people will read it. i figured fun and military would be way up there anyway. plus..being a male i need the phallic reassurance of a really long answer hence "other" :ph34r: but you are correct - I guess i was looking for more interesting responses :P

Just thought it seemed like fun and used it as a goal after getting my MBA. Wasnt even aware of that thing called "free fall." Thought you simply jumped, opened up the parachute and then flew down. Gave it a try, starting with Static Line and got hooked. Went up and made another jump the same day and then found out about Free Fall! Made the "skydive" even better. 2,500 jumps later, it's still fun and I can't wait to make the next one.
Dano

My brother dragged me to the DZ. I guess my reason for jumping at first was "Because everyone else is doing it". Well, that and my bro bought my first tandem for me which as we all know is usually enough to get you hooked (kinda like crack). Now Ive pretty much devoted my life/ income to this wonderfull sport we all love so much.B|

Muff #5048

i've been a bit of daredevil since i can remember: jumping home made bike ramps, jumping out of the swing, jumping off the house and jumping the bumps on ski runs. that combined with my love of thrill rides made it seem like a natural progression. plus i wanted to see what it was like.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Man, you need some other options!:S

How about fun?

thanks for that comment right off, I felt the same way reading the choices.

Not everything one does has to have some deep spiritual meaning :S

I thought it would be interesting to find a sport dominated by drug dealers and trailer dweelers where one could prove their worth through deep application of crystal meditative techniques through internalized self control of my bio systems via the handling of sacred nylon materials. Through this I hoped to achieve religious enlightenment and a more wind swept look to my hair.

(we read an article about a mid air save and thought it sounded 'neat')

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

.. to find a sport dominated by drug dealers and trailer dweelers where one could prove their worth through deep application of crystal meditative techniques through internalized self control of my bio systems via the handling of sacred nylon materials.

Haha that's great. I however got into the sport for one reason yet have managed to find myself remaining in the sport for completely different reasons (not unlike yours)

It was kind of a mid-life crisis for me. I was just going to do one tandem just to shake things up a bit. I never dreamt of doing a skydive before that and never considered that skydiving would be for me. Soccer moms don't skydive, right? That's just crazy talk! :ph34r:

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I wanted to.

I had always wanted to fly, and I had a friend who skydived, and I thought I might like doing a tandem, and I loved it. And oddly enough I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but I did.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I got selected to take the freefall course AM-490 at the Air Force Academy in August of 2004. It's basically 5 jumps from 4500 feet, count to 7 and pull. That was pretty much it, until January of last year when I took my dad skydiving as a Christmas present, and bought a skydive for myself as well. My dad and my brother refer to me as "the little crack dealer" in the family for buying them their first skydives. :ph34r: So basically, my first 5 skydives were courtesy of the military, the next 200 some-odd were on me.

The best things in life are dangerous.

How about a thirst for adventure? To do something that both scares and exhilarates you at the same time?

To me it's all about discovering where my limits are, and the challenge of pushing myself through my comfort zone and into the realm of the unknown, adrenaline inducing, and satisfying life experiences.

Plus, who hasn't wondered what it would feel like to fly? :)

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

The people who built our pool are skydivers and had been pestering my husband and I for 3 years to go skydiving with them. It just so happened we got a phone call from them the day we returned from sailing the Bahamas for 2 weeks and since I was feeling very proud of myself and such the thrill seeker dare devil adverturer and all when asked if we were up to do a tandem I blurted out SURE! I didn't even ask my husband. When I got off the phone I just told him oh btw we are doing a tandem tomorrow at 3:00!

If any one had told me I would be skydiver some day I would've thought they were crazy! But I love this sport even when it exasperates and frustrates me to no end.

So I guess you could say my motivation was pride. Ewwwww isn't that one of the seven deadly sins?:ph34r:
:|[:\];)

"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

I did a tandem to get my brother in law to stop bugging me to try it.
That was 1900 rw jumps ,11 years, 2 world records and 600 video jumps ago.
I started at 53 years old. I am 64 now and thank him everytime I see and jump with him.
You are NEVER too old to do anything.
You are only as good as you think you are.

I was always the guy who would do something others wouldnt, jump off a house into the pool, jump off my motorcycle on purpose, drink flaming shots,,missed once..
etc...etc.. but one doesnt get hooked on those stupid things... I got older & smarter (40) then my sons friends called me a pussy. nuff said