Markj

Travel insurance (UK)

I use AXA. They stopped issuing new policies a few years ago (well, changed it to only cover parachuting, which doesn't include freefall so they say). However I had heard that they were re-issuing it again a few months ago.

etravelinsure. which I found on the BPA website. They are very specific about what they cover and after a recent test case involving a friend, they do pay out.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

SportscoverDirect are so far the only company I have found that also cover third-party liability which you will need if you're not a BPA member. All the others only provide medical.

etravelinsure includes £2m of personal liability - annual world wide policy cost me £63.50, which I thought was pretty good

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

etravelinsure includes £2m of personal liability - annual world wide policy cost me £63.50, which I thought was pretty good

But it doesnt cover third party for incidents that occur while skydiving. They say "your BPA cover should give you that". Endsleigh was the only one I could find that would before they stopped covering us mad skydivers.

BPA cover does cover you everywhere except USA and canada for £100k 3rd party, which is probably enough for most places. Belgium requires something like 1mil euros, so you'll need extra.

In the USA you can just take out USPA membership and you'll be covered up to $50k 3rd party. So dont land on powerlines that connect to a chicken farm, and you'll be ok.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

But it doesnt cover third party for incidents that occur while skydiving. They say "your BPA cover should give you that". Endsleigh was the only one I could find that would before they stopped covering us mad skydivers.

BPA cover does cover you everywhere except USA and canada for £100k 3rd party, which is probably enough for most places. Belgium requires something like 1mil euros, so you'll need extra.

In the USA you can just take out USPA membership and you'll be covered up to $50k 3rd party. So dont land on powerlines that connect to a chicken farm, and you'll be ok.

The personal liability clause is below.. it seemed to me to provide third party cover for incidents (accidents). Note that skydiving (parachuting) is NOT an excluded activity, so it appears to me to provide the third party cover for incidents while skydiving - even landing on the powerlines of a chicken farm ;) . Unless I am missing something major.

And at £2m it provides what seems like a reasonable level of cover.

I would welcome any comments on my interpretation of the clause from any UK lawyers or insurance experts - if I need to get additional cover, it would be helpful to know before I travel with the policy.

SECTION (J) PERSONAL LIABILITY
If a legal claim is made against you (in a personal capacity) for causing bodily injury, disease or death to any person, or loss or damage to material property due to an Accident that occurred during the period of your Trip

You are covered for: reasonable legal costs for defending claims, and the amount that you become legally liable to pay as damages or compensation, up to the amount shown on your Schedule of Cover.

General Exclusions apply, in particular those headed Behaviour, Travel and Events and specific exclusions are:
(1) causing loss, injury, disease or death to insured persons, travelling companions, or to your or their relatives, employees or household members
(2) causing loss or damage to property owned by, in trust to, or the responsibility of insured persons, travelling companions, or their relatives, employees or household members
(3) anything arising out of: (a) racing of any kind; (b) care, custody or control of animals (c) the ownership, custody, or use of: firearms or explosives, aircraft, aerial devices, motorised watercraft, horse-drawn vehicles, mechanically-propelled/motorised or towed vehicles; this exclusion does not apply to activities covered under Section (S) ACTIVITIES except where cover under this section is excluded for specific activities
(4) anything arising out of paid or voluntary work, conducting a trade, business or profession
(5) any liability arising through a contractual agreement, but for which no liability would arise
(6) any liability covered under any other insurance policy
(7) any form of ownership or occupancy of land or buildings, except occupation only of temporary holiday accommodation
(8) punitive or exemplary damages or compensation
(9) any deliberate act or omission.

(note: this insurance does not provide Third Party Cover if you use a motor vehicle)

(3) anything arising out of: (a) racing of any kind; (b) care, custody or control of animals (c) the ownership, custody, or use of: firearms or explosives, aircraft, aerial devices, motorised watercraft, horse-drawn vehicles, mechanically-propelled/motorised or towed vehicles; this exclusion does not apply to activities covered under Section (S) ACTIVITIES except where cover under this section is excluded for specific activities

This is what does it and excludes skydiving from 3rd party. I have rung them and spoken to them (a very small operation) and they told me I would not be covered for 3rd party liability if it was a skydiving incident. They said they dont cover it because the BPA already does.

I wouldnt worry much about 3rd party anyway. There are very few places where you need any substantial 3rd party cover (Britain and Belgium being 2 of them) and the rest either let you jump on the limited cover BPA membership gives you, or take out USPA membership for the USA, which is not expensive.

Edit: I found the bit about skydiving having 3rd party excludid:

BASIC CONDITIONS FOR SAFE AND NORMAL PARTICIPATION IN ACTIVITIES
(1) You are accompanied by, or accessible to, an experienced and/or suitably qualified instructor or guide.
(2) You are properly supervised, taking part in an organised event, match, game, session or outing.
(3) You are using natural or purpose-built facilities approved for use for the activity by a local or national regulatory authority.
For certain activities the condition is that cover under other sections of the policy is excluded:
(4) cover under policy section (C) PERSONAL ACCIDENT.
(5) cover under policy section (J) PERSONAL LIABILITY.
The condition numbers are annotated to the categories or activities to which they apply below.

5. HIGH RISK ACTIVITIES
(Specific conditions (2), (4) and (5) apply. The High Risk Medical Excess £500 (€750) applies)

Skydiving comes under this section of HIGH RISK ACTIVITIES, and specifically has condition 3 attached aswell

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Yes. The British Mountaineering Council (BMC) - I use them.

clicky

Their policy has this clause

Section 9 Personal liability -
up to £2 million

What is not covered
1. This section does not cover liability caused
directly or indirectly by your owning or
using any aircraft, motorised vehicle,
motorised boat or any form of motorised
leisure equipment.

Where does it specifically say they cover skydiving/parachuting?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

That's a very interesting clause Craig ...

I have the Alpine & Ski package and it explicitly states that it covers Sports Parachuting (and Paragliding - which I also need).

Added: I just talked to a jolly nice lady at the BMC and it's just the Liability that is not covered... so she said, that it wouldn't cover you for 3rd parties if you where in conctol of the a/c.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

This is what does it and excludes skydiving from 3rd party. I have rung them and spoken to them (a very small operation) and they told me I would not be covered for 3rd party liability if it was a skydiving incident. They said they dont cover it because the BPA already does.

I wouldnt worry much about 3rd party anyway. There are very few places where you need any substantial 3rd party cover (Britain and Belgium being 2 of them) and the rest either let you jump on the limited cover BPA membership gives you, or take out USPA membership for the USA, which is not expensive.

Edit: I found the bit about skydiving having 3rd party excludid:

BASIC CONDITIONS FOR SAFE AND NORMAL PARTICIPATION IN ACTIVITIES
(1) You are accompanied by, or accessible to, an experienced and/or suitably qualified instructor or guide.
(2) You are properly supervised, taking part in an organised event, match, game, session or outing.
(3) You are using natural or purpose-built facilities approved for use for the activity by a local or national regulatory authority.
For certain activities the condition is that cover under other sections of the policy is excluded:
(4) cover under policy section (C) PERSONAL ACCIDENT.
(5) cover under policy section (J) PERSONAL LIABILITY.
The condition numbers are annotated to the categories or activities to which they apply below.

5. HIGH RISK ACTIVITIES
(Specific conditions (2), (4) and (5) apply. The High Risk Medical Excess £500 (€750) applies)

Skydiving comes under this section of HIGH RISK ACTIVITIES, and specifically has condition 3 attached aswell

Oh bugger :( i'd best avoid the powerlines after all