somethinelse

Soloing Fear...?!

Aw, lighten it up on me will ya?

This is new to me yet.

Alot of it is getting accustomed to the variety of sensations and getting competent in my skills and abilities and building up my confidence a long the way.

There is after all a fear factor- as likely there should be. People who have no healthy APPRECATION for the inherent dangers involved in this sport are scary in and of themselves.

I do love the thrill and rush don't get me wrong. I'm just getting more expereinced as I'm working thru those "mile-stone" jumps along the way.

This kind of fun is VERY INTENSE for me...but remember I am a newbie, & at this point in time can afford only about 4-8 jumps a months at this point due to renting gear and paying for packing.

But I DO LOVE THIS SPORT!

Blues- Lila.

ps:
Edited due to spelling[:/]

Lila, I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed having you on the plane w/ me,richy and aaron.

by the way, I watched your exit ;)

Just because we're out first doesn't mean we can't watch you!! Muahahahah!!!

but yeah, it was a lot of fun having you on the plane, if you ever wanna come up w/ our fun load, you're always welcome!

Let us know when/if you wanna start doing some group stuff (when you're stable) we'll get an experienced guy on there and launchsomething...you know like...next season....or the one after :ph34r:

BE THE BUDDHA!

I'm writing this from a beginner's perspective, because I'm also just racking up jumps so I can check off that last box on the card.

Get a lift ticket, and when you're going on the plane let everyone know that you will be opening high, >check first< if it is allowed in your dropzone. I did this when I first jumped my own canopy. Make sure to let the pilot know that you will be opening high as well, and be the very first into the plane.

This will allow you to come out of the plane last, and you will not have to worry about anyone over you. You can practice tracking, or simply just falling stable at first. Make sure you pull when you said you would, and then you also have plenty of time to practice your canopy skills.

It varies from person to person, but I enjoy high-altitude pulls a lot. I just love the view, and practicing with my canopy.

If anything here is wrong please correct me, i'm just a beginner and posting my own experiences.

Just my 2 cents. Have fun!!
Juan

Packing lessons started last saturday night with the dz's packer dude.

I've made plans to continue learning with him. Sunday was crazy hectic and he couldn't help much.
But he's said this;) dude, KIY, can pack well too...

So KIY might need to give me some packing tips too:ph34r:even if it does eat into his profit margin!

SEE YA!
-Li:)

yeah, Ure exit looked koo. you need to start doin some flips so we can have something exciting to watch :) or, next time we all jump, when you get out, watch the other jumpers (you should know where they are anyway) it's really cool seeing someone else in the sky.

as far as RW goes.... at a bare, and I mean bare minimum, make sure you're perrfectly ok w/ going out of control and recovering....you also need to learn how to track well be 4 you do it. I'm almost positive you'll end up being high person at one point or another...and you'll have to track out of the way of the ppl below you.

are night jumps wednesday??/!!!???? if they are, I'm there!

but yeah, I'll be there during the day too. by about 4, probly

BE THE BUDDHA!

You dont have to worry about getting all your "skills" down right away. If your anxious about soloing - then that should be one of the things you work to get over. Maybe you shouldnt put a lot of pressure on yourself - just jump belly to earth and enjoy the fall. Gaining confidence in this sport is just as valuable (or perhaps more so) than flips and barrel rolls. Flips and everything are tons of fun - but I spend more time just working on fall rate, turns, and simple motion.

I just got my A at the beginning of the summer - and its a trip not being the "new kid" anymore. In just a few jumps you'll be able to jump with anyone - and not all of them will be as practiced as a coach. Do whatever you feel comfortable with - but dont think a jump that isnt working directly towards license skills is a waste - every jump is supposed to be awesome! B|
freefall puts everything in perspective

Packing lessons started last saturday night with the dz's packer dude.

I've made plans to continue learning with him. Sunday was crazy hectic and he couldn't help much.
But he's said this;) dude, KIY, can pack well too...

So KIY might need to give me some packing tips too:ph34r:even if it does eat into his profit margin!

SEE YA!
-Li:)

Its a good idea to get packing instruction for reasons other then economic ones as well... because on occation you may find yourself at a DZ w/o full time packers...
I've found as I learn to pack (I'm not very good yet... i still have trouble getting it into the D-bag) the packers and particularily the person that taught me... are happy to give me a hand.

Its also nice to learn to pack because it gives you a more in depth understanding of the rig and how it functions.

Don't feel rushed into anything... learn every thing you can... and like i've always said fave fun.

Scott

p.s. of course it sounds like you are having fun.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I took a canopy course reciently and one of the things my coach said he always does when he starts on a new canopy is to open high and learn how the canopy flys... 8000ft at least the first time he jumps it...

I realize that some dropzones have conserns about this sort of thing... I've never had anyone pressure me to open lower then i've been comfortable.

Scott

p.s. right now normal breakoff for me is 5500-5000ft w/a 5-7 second track before wave off and throw.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

"During your freefall, pick a heading, do a practice touch and hold it for about 3 seconds. Then move back to neutral. Check your alt, check your heading. Rinse/ repeat."

Good call. I do and it helps.

I also think a coach who encourages you to deliberately go unstable--to get you to feel confident at getting stable--is a big confidence builder when doing solos. Otherwise, like I was on my early solos, you tend to play it safe and just fall or do a couple of lazy turns (because of that "I'm afraid of losing it" hangup).

Tracking is a good one, too. It's like learning to ride a unicycle. It never feels right at first--still doesn't :$
“Keep your elbow up!"

Have you tried smelling the roses?

jump, look around at the beauty of the sky surrounding you, pull high and practice canopy skills while you check out the big ball beneath you.

All work and no play, etc, etc...
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

i HATE to say it, as i am at the point of "picking up what other belly-jumpers are puttin' down" (aka: really doing well in RW lately), but i LOVE jumping solo (STILL?).

i am not sure if it will ever fade, but i look at a solo jump like a workout at the gym... a stress reliever. at my stage of jumping, relative work formations and other types of jumps are a little more "stressful" in that there is a goal to be achieved. not that i am disinclined to increase my skills in skydiving, but i simply love jumping sometimes in solitude.

i did many solo jumps in between my coached jumps. every one was valuable. i had 25 jumps on hand before my "A" (not that that matters, but i wouldn't change a thing!). i would do a solo, then maybe a coached jump, then another solo. you just can't go wrong enjoying the freefall for the fun - or better yet - the surreal aspect of it all!

i jump ever single time i have the oppurtunity to, whether or not i am fortunate enough to drop with another more experienced jumper. i may not pick up a "needed skill", but i certainly am enriched every single time i jump, and that itself is "priceless" as the tv commercial goes...

Fireflyer-

Thanx for your encouragement to jump whether it's solo or with somebody else.

Just gonna learn to chill on being so objective oriented in my jumps & learn TO JUST HAVE FUN!

I know that sounds funny, but when you've been so goal oriented, it can be different to just soak in all the sensations, just for the sake of enjoyment of the jump itself.

It's all good!

Be safe, have FUN!

Blues- LiLa.

When you pull high (don't know how big your aircraft is/are), don't forget about the tandems and the tandem vidiots. They will normally be behind you in the exit order.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I'm new also only 18 jumps but did 6 solos before even starting to coach and I'm glad I made the jumps because I was far more relaxed. As far as the loops / rolls. They don't have to be perfect, they just want to see you get unstable and get stable again.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.