Skylark

Unfriendly UK dropzones

Just to let you know, there were 8 lifts on saturday, and I was on 5 of them.

Often, to make lifts, the plane has to wait for people to pack.

We need more people at our wonderful friendly DZ to keep that plane in the air and make ian more money :)

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

[replyLOL - at my DZ here in OZ one of the staff is from Newcastle.

HA!! I'm from Sunderland!!! Tell him he's black and white scum!!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

I'm still bitter at those Chelski b*stards for beating us to it on the last day of the season (then beating us at Anfield on the first day).

Everton tomorrow!!!!!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

HA!! I'm from Sunderland!!! Tell him he's black and white scum!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fellow makem.

Might as well jump on the Peterlee bandwagon while I'm on. Come to Peterlee its great.....;););)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

PS - anyone ever had a run in with Kenny at Hinton - now thats an arse...

You never snapped at someone when you are stressed and over worked? Does not mean you are an arse just means you dont deal with the pressure in a hidden way............... take time to chat to kenny when he is not working and stressed - you will see then that he is not an arse as you put it........

Everyone else bitching about the way you are treated at DZ's - all DZ's in some way will have someone who will snap and talk to you in a condescending manner its the nature of the beast and will never change - just except it and let it go over your head and dont take things personally - there is a difference between bad people management and basic nastyness - when you can differentiate between these then you can stay away from the cunts who are plain fucking tossers and not get upset when "the nasty man spoke to me bad!"

The thing i hate about DZ's is that they are always full of fucking skydivers!!! :P:P;);) - now there lies the problem! :P:P

Be safe you crazy people...............

IAM - drop me a mail monday mate let me know how you got on sunday with yourself!! cheers dude..........

full of fucking skydivers

Thats not so bad... the problem now is that there are more and more fucking BASE jumpers at DZs..... they're even smellier then freaks! :P;)

And I agree... If you expect everyone to be nice at avery body every time, you have unatural expectations....

I've had good expereinces at UK DZs that others hated, and vice versa (maybe I'm the prick! lol), but most of the time, a DZ is what YOU make of it.
Remster

i'm amazed that the first thing i've saw when i've looked in my first skydiving forum is my biggest hate about this sport.

i'm very, very new to this sport. only 25 jumps. i done my AFF in america. it was great. the staff, instructors and even the cleaner was great, amazing friendly people. BUT then i come back to the UK where i live. went to my local drop zone OH MY GOD. i was made to feel stupid and unwanted. first of all they didn't like the fact i qualified in the US. ''let me think. £600 and qualify in the warm with loads of hot chicks or £1500 and freeze my balls off. tough choice your thinking.
there are also different requirements on obtaining your ''A'' liecence. instead of the instructors being nice and welcoming me to the DZ. they said ''if you dont know whats required in the uk then perhaps you should have learnt hear rather than the US. WANKER!
to add to this when i asked AGAIN how to progress from student to A liecence he said ''GOOGLE IT''

when i finaly got to jump i was barked at, be-littled.

i have also been to another DZ and i'm affraid it was the same deal there. i understand that people have bad days but at the end of the day, i'm a paying customer. whould a hotel or resurant treat you this way? i dont think so.

i have a week of work soon to get some jumps inn. i'm soooooooooo botherd about this i'm going to spain instead.

A VERY BIG SHAME. BUT WHAT A GREAT SPORT SKYDIVING IS.

It is true that the UK rules are probably the strictest in the world, and many pople go abroad to do AFF and when they get back, they find out that the course they've done doesnt meet the UK minimum requirements. Often this is missing out level 8.

Its a shame you were treated like this. I know some dropzones try to be as accomodating as possible. But many people recommend that if you do go abroad, you try and find a course that will satify all UK requirements to minimise problems like you had on your return.

Sometimes students can be difficult too. I dont know about your situation, but some will turn up without a log book, no video and claim to have qualified but with bearly any jumps since qualifying. The DZ will then have no idea where you fit in the UKS system and will probably refuse to let you jump.

But anyway - are you not going to name a shame the DZ?

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Welcome to UK skydiving and your not the only one who has had these issues. In a nutt shell, with the exception of 2 out of the 5 DZ's I've been to here in the UK, they suck and are not very friedly/helpfull to new jumpers whom took AFF elswhere, and others.

Find another DZ. If you would like to PM where you live or where you went to I can recommend a DZ that will take good care of you.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

i am dieing to name and shame them but. i would be easy for them to look at my post and see who i am. i'm the only new guy there who's learnt in the US.

oh and today i got to the DZ. as i got there an instructor said ''quick, quick get your rig on, you can make this load'' when i landed i went to pay for my jump and got one almighty bollocking of another instructor for jumping first, paying second. i explained ''thats what i was told to do'' there reply was ''he doesnt make the rules, i do''

i'm even getting told off for doind what i'm told. oh well!

Should have said Fuck You and left.
For some people it is their little power game.
Ignore the ignorant.
Love many trust few and paddle your own canoe.
All the best in your skydiving.
Steve
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

Did you speak with the DZO? That is total bull shit for that ass-hole to tell you that "he doesn't make the rules I do". If the guy who told you that is the owner or manager tell him that you are taking your business elsewhere....if not perhaps the prick with the ego trip can be talked to and told to be a little friendlier to jumpers who are paying good money to jump there. Newer jumpers shouldn't be expected to figure out which instructors or staff members to listen to....it is not up to you to figure out their DZ politics and power structure. Jesus Christ....this DZ sounds like a piece of work. [:/]

Hey, if you've not been kicked off a load (after buckling up!!) because of a Tandem, then you've still got a way to go yet............ unfortunately:(

Psst : Emp' is a very short flight awayB|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Never jumped in the U.K., so I can't comment on that.

I will point out that there are plenty of un-friendly dropzones in the States, as well. Sometimes it's just one or two people, sometimes, it's damn-near everyone and the entire culture.

I don't think your problem is the U.K. Just that dropzone. Find another.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

i am dieing to name and shame them but. i would be easy for them to look at my post and see who i am. i'm the only new guy there who's learnt in the US.

If they don't know you by noohooooooooow, they will never ever know you...

Well they will. Just that they already do. No need to name and shame if you dont want to

I don't think your problem is the U.K. Just that dropzone. Find another.

I'd say 50/50.

There are some decent DZ's in the UK where you can be treated fairly and have a good laugh, but there is absolutely nothing, nothing that compares favourably to an efficient and succesfull US or mainland European DZ. The national culture of over-regulation and all powerful instructors is everywhere.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I understand I have very little experience, given my jump numbers, but I've been in the situation of doing AFF7 in the non-uk system & then going to a UK-military-run dropzone in Germany.

I was surprised at the generosity shown by the military guys: they have gone out of their way to welcome a low-number weekend jumper, insofar that I have decided to continue jumping at said dropzone, even if it costs me approx. 2-3 times as much as jumping at local (German) dropzones. (due to insurance). I'm looking at paying a couple hundred euro more than other dropzones, but I'm happy paying the price, and no, I can't really afford it :-(

I received a free one-on-one coaching / security / recurrency day & was at AFF8 in no time. They have done everything possible to reduce the pain of being a member of the bpa. In general, I feel a lot more comfortable jumping 'military style' given their attention to detail & gear quality. I haven't spotted any harsh treatment, but I have a fairly thick skin & am pretty patient.

My point: I guess it all depends on the dropzone & under how much pressure they are. To the guys at Bad Lippspringe: your rock !

wow i cant wait to make it out to the UK for some jumps!

[/sarcasm]

honestly tho i would just tell them to fuck off..and take my business elsewhere..FUCK all that bullshit..

rofl @ google it....
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead