SPAWNmaster

porter exits

Hey guys...recently I've started jumping at a DZ that usually runs a porter while im there and I find it to be hard to exit stable every time. I've probably jumped it around 10 times or so but get waxed by prop blast every time...takes me a few hundred feet to flip onto my belly or do whatever to get stable.

anyways, since I'm tired of wasting good altitude trying to get stable out the door does anyone have any porter specific exit tips? I never have problems in 182s or otters or caravans (the only other AC I've jumped) so I'm assuming its the prop blast from this plane specifically.

does anyone else have similar findings about the porter or is it just me?

Hey SPAWNmaster:

While I’m no expert on Porter exits (or those from any other airplane for that matter) we were jumping one this weekend at The Blue Sky Ranch, and I definitely have a love-hate relationship with that plane (mostly love). For me, the exits are way more difficult compared with an Otter. My favorite solo exit is to stand outside on the step, hold the wing spar, smile at the pilot and do a few back flips. Alternately, if I’m jumping with friends we just grasp hands, check for traffic and the spot, and then just fall out however we can, going into a head down formation to start the dive. (NOTE: at 50 jumps I would not recommend this exit for you yet!)

Although aspects of jumping a Porter are a pain-in-the-ass, the intimate nature of Porter jumps makes them very worthwhile. Don’t be bummed about “not exiting stable” every time – just be safe and enjoy the ride!

Cheers,
Dean
www.wci.nyc

isnt that called the strut?

friggin' terminology..

i've been jumping enough porters over winter not only in triengen, grenchen and locarno to last me a life-time.. actually in triengen i was told not to hold on to the wing. or the gap between wing and höhenleitwerk in my language.. :P

i'm happy back at our great DZ, with our even greater PAC! not so much bellyflyers around, nicer clubjackets, uschi's beiz..

BTW, when will we see you back at bero?

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I have at least a hundred jumps from a Porter. I never noticed any difficulty at all. Regardless of the plane used, I've found that some people get flipped over on exit because if they get past vertical in a head down exit, they tend to give up on it, they stop flying. Even when you're past vertical, the relative wind still allows you to control it.

One of my favorite positions to exit any plane is to climb out forward of the strut of a Porter, with your foot on the wheel.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

thanks for the input guys. and yes actually I was talking about the porter at The Ranch where I've been jumping lately. my normal exit is hand on the inside bar, facing the tail, get out on the step and just launch a delta(im big on atmo so I usually launch into delta).

i have tried other exits when doing group belly flying and its the same result so i dunno...maybe try presenting myself to the front of the plane since I havent tired this with the porter.

anyways, thanks for your input...and I'll be sure to try launching a headdown when I have some more freefly jumps :P

facing the tail, get out on the step and just launch a delta(im big on atmo so I usually launch into delta).

I guess I'm not sure how "big on atmo" you can be with 50 jumps. In any case, no matter which way your body is pointed, the relative wind is what you use to control yourself and stay stable. Don't confuse your angle with respect to the ground with your angle with respect to the airflow. At terminal velocity, they are pretty close, but on exit, they are very different. I'm sure that there are plenty of folks at The Ranch who can give you some pointers.

Kevin K.

I've only done about 15 jumps out of porters, all 4-way, and never had a problem with stability on exit. Assuming yours is the same as the ones I've jumped, the run-in speed is pretty slow and there is a lot of "dead air" as you exit - maybe that is what is hampering you? We pretty much just dropped off the plane, as opposed to aggressively launching out of it. As an inexperienced 4-way on a plane we weren't used to, it took a few jumps before we could fly the hill properly though.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I would advise during a diving exit to have your arms raised high and legs drawn in, just for a very brief time.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Assuming yours is the same as the ones I've jumped, the run-in speed is pretty slow and there is a lot of "dead air" as you exit - maybe that is what is hampering you?

interesting because dead air is pretty much the last thing i would describe from all of my porter jumps. in fact i have trouble hanging on so maybe i should ask the pilot to slow down a bit on jump run?

Assuming yours is the same as the ones I've jumped, the run-in speed is pretty slow and there is a lot of "dead air" as you exit - maybe that is what is hampering you?

interesting because dead air is pretty much the last thing i would describe from all of my porter jumps. in fact i have trouble hanging on so maybe i should ask the pilot to slow down a bit on jump run?

I wasn't talking so much about what it feels like on the step/from the prop, but as you exit - there is not a lot of air to work with the way you would have with a faster plane, or the way you have once you reach terminal. I'm sure there's someone out there who can explain this better than I'm managing to do :S
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.