labrys

Emergency Bailout Experiences

A recent post in Instructors made me wonder how many people have had to do an emergency bailout. If you have, why? What was the altitude and what canopy did you deploy? Were you a student or an up jumper? Why did you bail and what was the reaction of others on the load? Did the plane land safely?

I've done one at a DZ I was visiting for the first time. Caravan engine quit at 4500. The mood in the plane was a little tense at first but everyone stayed collected and communication with the pilot was great. One newly licensed jumper was "sent to the head of the line" because she was a little freaked out and wanted to go "now". Everyone bailed on mains. I think the last person was out just under 3000.

The plane landed safely at the airport.
Owned by Remi #?

I’ve done a few. My most interesting was with an AFF level one from a Porter, with two fun jumpers along for the ride. The plane was being flown in the left seat by a rookie, who was being trained by an outstanding pilot in the right seat.

The engine suddenly lost all power at about 10,000 feet, roughly five miles from the DZ. It immediately freaked the heck out of my AFF partner, but didn’t seem to bother the student too much. Since my partner was freaked out, I had to devise a plan. If we got out right away the student would certainly be landing off the drop zone in an unfamiliar field without radio, but if we stayed with the plane there wouldn’t be any time for freefall. When I checked with the pilot he didn’t care. The fun jumpers were looking to me for a decision, as was my freaked out AFF partner.

I decided to stay with the plane as the pilot turned back toward the DZ. We lost a few thousand feet and traveled a few miles before my partner finally spoke up, asking “Where is the DZ?” Not a great question considering she had been sitting on the bench seat with huge windows and easily visible landmarks. So I told her where we were, and what our altitude was. Really, she was scared and clueless. Then I told her we would get as close as we could to the DZ and do a standard exit with immediate deployment.

At about 6,000’ I put the fun jumpers out and suggested they open high. By 5,000’ we were ready to exit with the student, still a good distance from the airport, but probably within range. At least my student could see the field and the radio operator could see the student. My partner was still super freaked out and insisted it would be better to do a seated exit, rather than the planned poised exit. It wasn’t necessary for the student, but since my partner insisted and seemed to scared to discuss the options intelligently I went along with the suggestion, and briefed the student on the new exit. That little bit cost us some agl’s, and took us to just above 4,000’.

We were in the door with grips when my partner suddenly suggested it would be better if I (as main side) dumped for our student. It didn’t seem necessary, but that wasn’t the time for discussion so I quickly agreed. The exit was flawless, I pulled for my student as his eyes and hand followed along. As I fell away I silently cursed myself for denying the student a chance to pull, something he would have been able to handle with ease.

Just as my student landed with a soft stand-up on the airport, the airplane came in for a perfect deadstick, and then coasted easily to the maintenance building. As I was walking back with my first time student, who was super relaxed throughout, he asked why the other instructor was so scared. Go figure.

The two fun jumpers and my partner also made it back with no worries, and we all shifted to a different airplane for the rest of the day. And I took the student back up with a different partner for a very fun and relaxed conventional level one.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Just as my student landed with a soft stand-up on the airport, the airplane came in for a perfect deadstick, and then coasted easily to the maintenance building. As I was walking back with my first time student, who was super relaxed throughout, he asked why the other instructor was so scared. Go figure.

Wow. Thank you for sharing that.

Is a "seated exit" similar to a static line exit from a side door?

Did your partner on this jump continue to skydive after this? Did she continue to instruct?
Owned by Remi #?

Hi labrys,

Not for sport jumping emergencies, but this is what I put in my manual for my PEP rigs:

Parachute System Operation

There are no absolute rules (nor can there be any) for jumping clear of a disabled aircraft. The one known rule is:

BE COMPLETELY CLEAR OF THE AIRCRAFT
PRIOR TO PULLING THE RIPCORD

Practice climbing out of your aircraft with your parachute on and while the aircraft is on the ground. Find the obstacles, obstructions and other items that may hinder or snag you or your parachute. Remember: Avoid them when an actual bailout emergency occurs.

A normal exit sequence will be something like this:

Release your safety belt and shoulder harness.

Disconnect or remove and discard any headsets, microphones, oxygen masks, etc.

Look to your left body panel and locate your parachute ripcord. You should have
become familiar with its location during your Pre-Flight Inspection.

Jump clear of the aircraft.

Pull the ripcord. Having cleared the aircraft, immediately grasp the ripcord handle with your right hand and left thumb. Use a hard, quick pull clearing the ripcord from its stowage pocket and continue pulling to full arm extension. If parachute activation does not occur on the first effort, back it up and hit it again. The pilot chute will be launched which will deploy the canopy. About 1 1/2 seconds after pilot chute launch, the canopy will be fully inflated. You are now descending under your parachute.

It is strongly recommended that you throw the ripcord away after you have pulled it. You must remember that you are taking a life-saving action and the ripcord could possibly cause a problem during the descent phase. It is of a minimal cost to replace.

There might be a couple of tid-bits in there regarding your inquiry.

JerryBaumchen

Practice climbing out of your aircraft with your parachute on and while the aircraft is on the ground. Find the obstacles, obstructions and other items that may hinder or snag you or your parachute. Remember: Avoid them when an actual bailout emergency occurs.

That's awesome practice information, thanks.
Owned by Remi #?

I've had a bad history with emergency exits. Everything from engines quitting to pilots running out of gas.

I've always exited on my main, from as low as 1300 feet out of the Otter with 1 engine running to considerably higher in all sorts of planes.

My 2 most interesting engine out stories were ones I had to land with the plane. One was when I was a tandem passenger for a friend getting his rating when the right engine on the Queen Air quit at a thousand feet. Nothing like not wearing a parachute in that situation to make ya nervous!

Another was when both left engines and all hydraulics went out on a Brazilian C130. And then the left brakes caught fire as we skidded down the runway because he had no left reverse thruster. Yahoo. We had at least 50 feet left of runway when we stopped!

The biggest thing I've seen on emergency exits is that people who haven't done CRW are doing diving exits and unstable exits and all sorts of crazy things causing issues. A quick, simple head high exit works best. Anyone who isn't practiced at doing those should practice doing that! You never know when you'll need it.

A quick, simple head high exit works best. Anyone who isn't practiced at doing those should practice doing that! You never know when you'll need it.

I've never done a CRW jump and I'm not sure I'm visualizing that correctly, but it sounds like a perfect way to exit in an emergency. I've imagined a really low altitude exit and thought about trying to plant my feet on the back of my helmet... I've never given thought to what my head is doing though.

I guess I'll give as much effort into making my head touch my feet as I've thought about making my feet touch my head. :$
Owned by Remi #?

Engine problems:

1) UH-60 "Chip" light. Landed without incident. Pilot would not let us out despite the fact that we were already at 8000 feet and close enought to the edge of the DZ to land safely. I was the JM . . . I insisted, he said no. He was in charge so we landed with it.

2) U-21 port engine failure traveling home from PIA Symposium in Orlando. We had one less parachute on board than the number of GKs along for the ride. Effortless landing in Daytona with one engine.

3) C-31 master caution light in the starboard engine. Pilot shut it down and we landed without issue at Love Field in Dallas. Pilot did not want us to exit because of the dense residential area.

Bailouts:

1) C-130. While conducting some tests from 25K FT I was along as an O2 Tech with three others. Fire warning light #3 engine after the jumpers were already gone. Loadmaster told me no smoke or flames, so I asked to get somewhere in the vicinity of the DZ. Pilot descended and got us in the ballpark. We did a hop and pop from 12K FT about 4 miles from the DZ and landed on target without issue. No actual fire - frayed wire.

2) C-130. Tandem. Fire warning light at 4K FT. Hooked up quickly and bailed out without issue. Passenger I had with me was making his 8th tandem. No actual fire - sensor problem.

3) Twin Otter. Tandem. Port engine failure @ 5K FT. Pilot trimmed the aircraft to level flight at 4K FT and flew two passes: first for the experienced jumpers, second for two AFFs and two tandems. Jumpers and aircraft landed without issue.

Next? :o

Arrive Safely

John

Is a "seated exit" similar to a static line exit from a side door?

Did your partner on this jump continue to skydive after this? Did she continue to instruct?

Yes, the seated exit is three abreast sitting on the edge of the door with a rock and roll out. From an instructors standpoint all grips are in place so it is thought there is less chance of instability from the student.

She did continue teaching for a while but at a reduced level. I think she is out of the sport completely now. It really shook her up.

Another poster likened an emergency exit to a CRW exit, and that's a pretty good analogy. It's not a matter of making a super hard arch, but rather a good arch while facing into the prop and throwing the pilot chute quickly.

Back in the day we all started with static line training so we were pretty comfortable with hop and pops and low altitude exits. We have lost that comfort from our sport, and that's a shame. Those quick and easy hop and pops are important for in flight emergencies, but they are also fun.

I've had other emergency exits from lower altitudes and it's never been a problem, just a change in plans. I strongly recommend folks practice hop and pops, and especially encourage them on days with a low ceiling. Heck, it's an important skill, and it gets you in the air even when there is no chance of full altitude.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

She did continue teaching for a while but at a reduced level. I think she is out of the sport completely now. It really shook her up.

So here we have a jumper with 500+ jumps who found an adrenaline level at which she stopped functioning. People are always so shocked and perplexed when students do not react to an emergency; there are murmurs about inadequate training. This womans reaction shows just how hard it is to judge who will react well and who will not.

So here we have a jumper with 500+ jumps who found an adrenaline level at which she stopped functioning. People are always so shocked and perplexed when students do not react to an emergency; there are murmurs about inadequate training. This womans reaction shows just how hard it is to judge who will react well and who will not.

I understand your point, but disagree somewhat. I think she was overloaded and frightened by the unexpected turn of events, and she lacked any meaningful means of dealing with the emergency. I was surprised by her reaction (or non-reaction), but not really shocked. If I knew in advance that I was going to be in an emergency she wouldn’t have been my first pick, but she was certainly adequate as an instructor and flying partner.

The other thing to keep in mind is that she knew I was there, and I took change immediately. If she was alone she might very well have stepped up to the plate herself.

I have been through several real aircraft emergencies, and have plotted contingencies for just about any eventuality. That really helps. We all spend so much time sitting in airplanes and letting our minds wander. Why not take some of that time and ask yourself “what if” questions. Devise a plan of action for any conceivable scenario, and then when trouble strikes you will already have a stock solution to something similar. In my world that’s a key component of risk management, and it’s a big difference between somebody who freaks out, and somebody who responds appropriately.

So my lesson from the incident is to imagine any possible problem and then plot contingencies.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

Back in the day we all started with static line training so we were pretty comfortable with hop and pops and low altitude exits. We have lost that comfort from our sport, and that's a shame. Those quick and easy hop and pops are important for in flight emergencies, but they are also fun.

It's one of the reasons I'm glad of two things ... 1) that I learned static line (even in this day and age) and 2) that I started my jumping career in the northwest where some days you take what altitude you can get and if it's just hop & pops ... you take hop & pops.

When I had somewhere around 150 jumps I went up on a day when I knew we were getting just under 2500 ft, because I thought it was important to get out of the plane at that altitude at least once under normal conditions, just to see what that sight picture was really like. I knew that on a subterminal opening I'd be open by my decision altitude. I know that for the old timers 2500 is no big deal, but for my generation of skydivers, it's usually far lower than any exit we ever see till the shit hits the fan.

For me, that was a much more realistic "simulated emergency exit" than anything I got in my student training. Too bad most people don't bother with hop & pops once they get licensed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Last season, experienced pilot on a check ride (182)with new pilot. I'm along for the ride.
After a few stalls and various maneuvers, we're ready to head back when the experienced pilot looks to me and says "how do you feel about getting out?" As I start to reply to his very casual question, the airplane starts to turn fairly hard. He interrupts me with "I need you to get out." Uneventful exit at 3k. Turns out the left wingflap had become stuck all the way down and right flap wasn't responding so well.
Uneventful, but is always fun to flip to in my log book.

DC3 climbing to 21,000 for a big way (it was a trail plane). 31 jumpers on board. One engine quit. We dirt-dived a 31-way in the plane as it descended, exited over the DZ at 13k, 30 got in. Plane landed safely.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Once after a night of drinkin I had some bad gas in the Cessna and the pilot told me to get out of his fucking plane or he was gonna kill me. 2500' exit. Does that count:P

I remember one time we were in an Otter with 23 or 24 people and one jumper sitting right seat. When he turned around to say something to a jumper in the back, he hit the prop feather switch with his knee. 22 of us, in unison, slapped our helmets and goggles on and got on the edge of our seats waiting to see what's next

I got nuthin

A normal exit sequence will be something like this:

Release your safety belt and shoulder harness.

Disconnect or remove and discard any headsets, microphones, oxygen masks, etc.

Look to your left body panel and locate your parachute ripcord. You should have
become familiar with its location during your Pre-Flight Inspection.

Jump clear of the aircraft.

I teach a different sequence.

-Commit to exiting aircraft
-Remove/disconnect headset/helmet/O2, etc
-Open/jettison canopy
-Release harness
-Exit
-Pull ripcord

If the aircraft has suffered a structural failure or is unstable, removing the harness first means the pilot is now getting trashed inside the cockpit and won't be able to disconnect/remove and may not be able to open/jettison the canopy. I figure do everything you need to do to exit, then release the harness. The pilot may be ejected from the cockpit if the aircraft is unstable at that point, helping the process.

I was in a Caravan that ran out of fuel at about 7k AGL. One very experienced jumper freaked a bit. I told him to calm down. The pilot turned towards the DZ. Once we got close, we all bailed out on mains. No biggie.

Derek

I've been on board 2 aircraft during emergencies. Rode both of them down.

First was a Caribou with 43 jumpers, 8 of which were students sitting in the rear of the plane. Lost one engine climbing through 1500 feet. The DZ owner decided that we couldn't all crawl over the students and get out in the time we had, so he directed the pilot to do a nice 180 and land on the airport with the one engine. The Caribou was actually still climbing on one engine, so not really a big deal.

The second, I was pilot in command in a C172 that lost oil pressure. I didn't have a rig on so there wasn't a real choice, but I just happened to have sufficient altitude to glide about 4 miles back to the airport and do a standard pattern. Never lost full power on the engine either, but I was sure that the big whirly thing was going to quit at any time.

While in deland we had a window that partially came out at the front. Pilot told us if it came all the way out we'd be getting off since I was doing a H&P at 14k I heard him. Was nice to see the AFFI briefing her student.

We never did have to bail but was a good learning experience. One thing I took from it was that it's important to have what the pilot said communicated with the all the jumpers so if we did have to bail it would be expected.

-Michael

One thing I took from it was that it's important to have what the pilot said communicated with the all the jumpers so if we did have to bail it would be expected.

Really good point. I've been on some emergency flights that turned into major pig f*cks, and others where everything went super smooth. The difference is the manner in which communication is handled.

In an Otter you ideally want an experienced person on the copilot side against the bulkhead, and he should then be crew lead. Whoever is in that slot is in the best position to communicate with the pilot, and also with the folks near the door. The best person for that position is probably an instructor who understands the needs and interests of students and fun jumpers, and who can take charge politely while using the respect he has earned over years of interactions. That person needs to be a terrific listener, and a good leader...two things that actually go well together. So, the next time you are sitting in that position, consider how you would handle an emergency.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

I have a lot of friends that fly airshows full-time, one of my 'pet peeves' is how often this simple procedure is overlooked...I never pass up an opportunity to remind pilots that exiting the aircraft WITH THE PARACHUTE ON should be a part of the 'routine'.

Without a doubt, it's a pain in the ass to crawl out of a Pitts etc. wearing the rig, but like I tell people, if you think it's hard on the ground, wait until your spinning.:S

About 15 years or so back, I had a buddy that was flying a lot of airshows all over the country...he had an experimental aerobatic something or other.

We'd both worked a show in the Midwest and said our goodbyes 'till the next show...Joe was flying back to Texas but never made it. He was reported 'missing' and a search went out...couple days later they found his arm, the leather flight jacket sleeve still around it...day or so later the rest of him turned up.

What appears to have happened was tragic...aircraft encountered difficulties, the decision was made to bail out, he undid his 5 point AND the parachutes leg straps...just like he'd done hundreds of times getting out after landing.

They figured he realized it once over the side, and tried to cross his arms and pull...

You tend to perform what ya practice under stress.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi twardo,

he undid his 5 point AND the parachutes leg straps...

I built a PEP rig for a pilot who told me that he would not remove his parachute from the aircraft unless it needed I & R or some other maintenance.

So I built one leg junction with a snap & adjustable v-ring and the other leg junction with a v-ring & adjustable snap. This way he could not get the leg straps mixed up when he would sit down and snap the rig on.

But, you can only do so much; after that, they have a responsibility to learn 'something' about the gear,

JerryBaumchen

...One newly licensed jumper was "sent to the head of the line" because she was a little freaked out and wanted to go "now"....

Whoever took charge and made that option available to her used incredibly good judgment, and I compliment them!

One thing I took from it was that it's important to have what the pilot said communicated with the all the jumpers so if we did have to bail it would be expected.

When we were in Perris this winter, we encountered a situation that sure highlighted this. We were in the Skyvan, at about 5k when the pilot suddenly seemed to be concerned with one of his guages. (I was sitting 3-4 slots back from the pilot.) I kind of thought something was up, so I did up my helmet and waited... About 20-30 sec later, the pilot turned and talked to a guy sitting right behind him and talked for 20-30 sec. The pilot then turned to the rest of us and made a very distinct "finger cutting the throat" motion. By this time, everyone had noticed what was going on, and was very antsy, as nobody but the guy who had talked to the pilot had heard a word at this point. After about a minute, the pilot motioned for the guy sitting behind him to come and talk again. After this, the jumper stood up, pointed at the door and yelled "EVERYBODY OUT!!!" The door was opened, and everybody started bailing. My wife and I were about 2 steps from the door when I heard "STOP!" There were still about 6-7 people in the plane. I turned around to see the pilot looking back. The guy who had orriginally been talking to him went for another chat and when it was finished, he informed us that ne needed to get out, but he was going to give us a better spot. When we were over the DZ, we got a green light and left. We all had uneventful skydives. All the folks who left in the first group were safe, but all landed off, a couple of my friends even landed behind a shopping mall and got a ride back to the DZ from a cop!

What had happened was the pilot had lost oil pressure in one engine. The engine was still running fine, but he was still concerned enough to want us out. He did however feel that it was safe enough to take us back over the DZ first. There was a miscomunication between the pilot and the guy he was talking to, which resulted in the 16 people leaving early.

The lessons are: 1) To make an effort to hear instructions from the pilot if possible. This was not really possible due to the size and volume level of the aircraft. 2) If your aircraft has exit lights, watch them! Even in an emergency, the pilot should have the presence of mind to switch them on to confirm that you are to exit.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.