IEJuggalo

...Life Insurance...

Who do you write policies with?

I don't anymore. It was too difficult to get people insured at a price that they considered reasonable without leaving something out.

The insurance companies expect production from their agents. They put the agent in a bad position. You can be 100% ethical and not sell much because your competition's agent is willing to mislead people about their coverage, or mislead the underwrighters about the person they're trying to get covered.

I challenge everyone out there...if you've got a policy you think is reasonably priced and you think it covers you for jumping send me the policy. I'd like to see it. Scan the exclusions section and post it or PM it to me.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

It is kinda like a pre-existing condition. If you dont jump before you get the insurance then you are covered latter if you do.

If only it worked that way :S

Well, actually it does...if policies didn't do this, then I doubt a lot of people would have them. I've confirmed everything, and if you read my first post you'll see that I haven't started jumping and disclosed everything to the insurance company accurately. Just like someone here said, they told me flat-out that if I were jumping now they would increase my rate based on how many times I jump each year. However if I didn't plan on jumping for a year from the time I began the policy, then I would be covered because they rate you based on the time you sign-up for the policy...not years down the road for "unforeseen circumstances". Like I said, I pretty much luck out because I have to wait a year anyway before jumping so my rates are way low because of my age. Hope that helps explain the reasoning behind the facts...

It is kinda like a pre-existing condition. If you dont jump before you get the insurance then you are covered latter if you do.

If only it worked that way :S

Well, actually it does...if policies didn't do this, then I doubt a lot of people would have them. I've confirmed everything, and if you read my first post you'll see that I haven't started jumping and disclosed everything to the insurance company accurately. Just like someone here said, they told me flat-out that if I were jumping now they would increase my rate based on how many times I jump each year. However if I didn't plan on jumping for a year from the time I began the policy, then I would be covered because they rate you based on the time you sign-up for the policy...not years down the road for "unforeseen circumstances". Like I said, I pretty much luck out because I have to wait a year anyway before jumping so my rates are way low because of my age. Hope that helps explain the reasoning behind the facts...

In the eyes of an insurance company skydiving is not an "unforeseen circumstance" unless you bail out of a burning airplane.

Challenge still stands. You don't need to scan the entire policy, just the exclusions section.

Destinations by Roxanne

That seems a bit pricey. I have $100,000 for $40/month through London Life.

...it is for both, my wife and I. We are both skydivers. I think it is a lot of money, but so is $250,000. Plus we will be locked in for 30 years. Havent signed yet, but getting ready to. I will be reading this thing front to back.

You are right. Now that I think about the numbers, they do seem to jive.

"Kicking gravity's ass since 2003!"

...what are people doing? How is the coverage? Cost? Are you covered if you bounce? I am looking into a 30 year term for my wife and I. It is a joint policy, and we both jump. Broker said we will be covered, but you know how this goes. $213.00 mo. for $250,000.00 policy. Help please.

I picked up a AD&D policy for $200K for $25 a month. No exclusions for jumping anywhere in the policy, though it did have one for dieing while being high on drugs/drunk or while being in act of committing felony. :)

...? Don't you see what that means? One of us might be a complete idiot, I don't think its me. So you have an accidental life insurance policy? Well my freind, you are NOT covered. Skydiving is not considered an "accident". If you jump, you did it. Car accident, blown off a roof, cleaning a swamp cooler screen? I think your covered. Where are you planning on jumping next year?...

Don't you see what that means? One of us might be a complete idiot, I don't think its me. So you have an accidental life insurance policy? Well my freind, you are NOT covered. Skydiving is not considered an "accident". If you jump, you did it. Car accident, blown off a roof, cleaning a swamp cooler screen? I think your covered. Where are you planning on jumping next year?...

Of course it's not you...why would anyone admit that they are an idiot! Anyways, I've done my homework and every policy is different so there is no way that anyone of us here can really know for sure about a policy they don't have in front of them. So, we can agree to disagree...at least that's what I'm doing!

Oh, and I'm doing my AFF at Skydive Alabama as soon as spring hits next year....totally psyched! ;)

Last edit, promise. I found this by searching in the forums...don't know that it's true, but I have heard of this before....the years vary by state:

I used to be an agent for one of the biggies and our Agent's Manual said we would cover skydivers IF they were USPA members in good standing. Skydivers are usually rated though, which generally means higher premiums than a smoker.

An important issue is called INCONTESTABILITY. The law says that when you buy life insurance, the insurance co. has three years (usually) to investigate you and find out if you lied to them about anything. Once the three years are up, they had their chance and they're stuck with you - so long as you keep up with your premiums. So if you have any life insurance from your pre-jumping days, hang on to it ! In my own case, with a wife & kids, I took out a rather sizable policy about 10 years ago, when I wasn't jumping. I TRUTHFULLY said no when they asked if I'd done anything hazardous (skydiving, etc) in the past three years and I ended up with a really good rate. My policy's been incontable for the last seven years. Now this year I started jumping again and so long as I keep up with my premiums - they're STUCK with me. They can't even rate me! Bwuhahaha !!

Don't be shy about life insurance, especially if you have a family. When I read about the young families of dead skydivers having to hold out their hats for charitable donations from our community, it makes me feel sick. If you can afford a rig, if you can afford to jump, you can afford to provide for your family, because shit can happen.

Quote taken from: http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/General_Skydiving_Discussions_F18/Life_insurance_for_skydivers_P509674

Don't you see what that means? One of us might be a complete idiot, I don't think its me. So you have an accidental life insurance policy? Well my freind, you are NOT covered. Skydiving is not considered an "accident". If you jump, you did it. Car accident, blown off a roof, cleaning a swamp cooler screen? I think your covered. Where are you planning on jumping next year?...

Of course it's not you...why would anyone admit that they are an idiot! Anyways, I've done my homework and every policy is different so there is no way that anyone of us here can really know for sure about a policy they don't have in front of them. So, we can agree to disagree...at least that's what I'm doing!

Oh, and I'm doing my AFF at Skydive Alabama as soon as spring hits next year....totally psyched! ;)

Last edit, promise. I found this by searching in the forums...don't know that it's true, but I have heard of this before....the years vary by state:

I used to be an agent for one of the biggies and our Agent's Manual said we would cover skydivers IF they were USPA members in good standing. Skydivers are usually rated though, which generally means higher premiums than a smoker.

An important issue is called INCONTESTABILITY. The law says that when you buy life insurance, the insurance co. has three years (usually) to investigate you and find out if you lied to them about anything. Once the three years are up, they had their chance and they're stuck with you - so long as you keep up with your premiums. So if you have any life insurance from your pre-jumping days, hang on to it ! In my own case, with a wife & kids, I took out a rather sizable policy about 10 years ago, when I wasn't jumping. I TRUTHFULLY said no when they asked if I'd done anything hazardous (skydiving, etc) in the past three years and I ended up with a really good rate. My policy's been incontable for the last seven years. Now this year I started jumping again and so long as I keep up with my premiums - they're STUCK with me. They can't even rate me! Bwuhahaha !!

Don't be shy about life insurance, especially if you have a family. When I read about the young families of dead skydivers having to hold out their hats for charitable donations from our community, it makes me feel sick. If you can afford a rig, if you can afford to jump, you can afford to provide for your family, because shit can happen.

Quote taken from: http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/General_Skydiving_Discussions_F18/Life_insurance_for_skydivers_P509674

I'm not talking about contestability, I'm talking exclusions...and there's no time limit on that.

I sincerely hope you'll be covered...I just know from experience in the industry that you probably aren't unless you've been "rated" for it. If you're jumping and you want life insurance that covers you there's no way in hell you're gonna think it's a bargain.

Destinations by Roxanne

Farmer's; $5.00 per thousand of coverage per year, on top of premium for base coverage. That $5.00 is a flat rate that applies to all policies rated for skydiving that Farmer's writes, from what I understand.

I was in the process of getting a policy through a discount broker online, when I talked to a Farmer's agent. As someone said earlier, great face time and customer service, made the whole process much more comfortable than the discount online broker with the better price.

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

Will I always receive the price quoted from the carrier I apply to?
NO! Each company has certain underwriting guidelines that you must meet to qualify. They are similar with most companies, but certain carriers are more flexible than others. Areas they review include: medical history, height, weight, cholesterol, driving record, family history of heart disease/cancer, hazardous sports etc. We make every effort to provide you the most accurate and realistic proposal based on your personal circumstance whether via the internet or through a call to our service center. If you do not receive the rate quoted, the company will generally offer an alternative. You may accept it or decline it. There is no cost to you should you decide to decline.

www.zanderins.com

Destinations by Roxanne

Would a policy written for a skydiver likely be written as "standard" even if you would otherwise fall into the "preferred or premium" category? I'm talking about the policy in general here, not the rating.

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

Would a policy written for a skydiver likely be written as "standard" even if you would otherwise fall into the "preferred or premium" category? I'm talking about the policy in general here, not the rating.

Really depends on the carrier's requirements. My first thought was "no" only because the category takes things like hazardous sports into consideration. It's like saying I could be preffered or premium....if only I didn't smoke, weigh 300 lbs, and have a 270 colesteral.

Destinations by Roxanne

Two of my policies are with Farmer's; $100K term and $100K whole life $69/month. I've had the policies about 11 years. I took them out thinking I was going to get back into racing but started skydiving instead. Reviewed the policies with the agent and both cover me getting killed in any way shape or form including skydiving or suicide. I discussed this with other agencies and was told most policies from major carriers cover suicide and most other deaths after two years continous coverage.

I have a couple of other policies however that I need to review in light of this discussion. The reason I have these other policies is when I asked my Farmer's agent to increase my policies he said he would not be able to increase it without excluding skydiving.

Whole life is a rip off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would canceal it and never do buis. with the crook that sold it to you.
Also if you canceal it you should get part of your payments back.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Your profile says you've been at it for 9 years, and the policies are around 11 years old. And you're absolutley sure the existing policy covers jumping? Did you read the exclusions? It doesn't always say "parachuting " or "skydiving". Sometimes it has verbage about being in an aircraft that is not a commercial flight.

Possibly your carrier changed the exisiting policy guidelines after you started jumping, and for him to increase the policy limits would mean he'd have to disclose the jumping, which he doesn't want to do.

Remember, many agents out there have only one goal in mind...get your money. They may seem like they have your best interests at heart but at the end of the week they can't go to the grocery store and say "I didn't sell Joe a policy because it wasn't right for him" and have the nice lady give him any food for that.

Destinations by Roxanne

Whole life is a rip off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would canceal it and never do buis. with the crook that sold it to you.
Also if you canceal it you should get part of your payments back.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! I guarantee you won't be thinking that when it matures and is paid up in full. Then you have a life policy that requires no payments, has cash value, and earns interest. Your coverage will continue to increase in value with no money out-of-pocket. It's an excellent long term strategy.

For example, try buying term insurance when you're 60. Makes that whole life premium look like a bargain.

Destinations by Roxanne

Remember, many agents out there have only one goal in mind...get your money.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////

You said it best and if you beleive whole life is good then you where the type of agents above (most are), or missinformed, or ignorant. You pick but it is a fack that you where on of the above if you beleive that whole life is a good deal!!!!!!!!

I'll tell you MR. Ex insurance agent, why dont you goto the link you presented here and ask Zander insurance what they think about whole life... Look on there web site I beleive they only offer term life insurance for a reason..... Correct me if im wrong, go ahead give them a call. If you dont now why whole life sucks so back then ask and i can school you.;)

I'll tell you MR. Ex insurance agent, why dont you goto the link you presented here and ask Zander insurance what they think about whole life... Look on there web site I beleive they only offer term life insurance for a reason..... Correct me if im wrong, go ahead give them a call. If you dont now why whole life sucks so back then ask and i can school you.;)

I'm sorry you don't agree but you're welcome to your opinion. When you're licensed in Life, Health, and Annuities in your state as I am, then you can come back and school me. ;)

Destinations by Roxanne

I am not licensed in any of the above but i do now the facts:P. The average insurance agent is just as you described ( in it for the money ).

Whole life is one of the WORST financial products on the market today. There is never a time when it is financially wise to have a whole life policy.

The only time you should have whole life is if you already have one and can’t get any other form of life insurance. Only if you’re stuck with it should you have whole life.

For example, a 30-year-old person can buy a $125,000 whole life policy for $100 a month. That same person can buy a 20-year term policy for $7 a month and invest the remaining $93 dollars in a mutual fund that pays a LOT higher interest rate than some whole life policy. Lets see 3-4 % max compared to 14-15 % average stock maket gain for 50 + years Which one do you want?????? There has not been a 10 year period of the stock market that has not gained. Since its inseption.

You ready for school yet???????