athena89

Experienced Skydivers Willing to Help Out a Newbie?

I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to post this message. I am new to the board (and also to skydiving!) and was a little unsure where to post.

I have not had a chance to jump yet (crummy weather here lately), but even with my very basic knowledge, I know there is way more to the sport than "just jumping." As a cognitive psychology student in university, I am extremely interested in the thinking processes involved with skydiving and would like to learn more.

I would love the chance to email with a few of you (if you have time) about the cognitive tasks involved in skydiving. I'm really interested in what tasks you must accomplish in order to ensure safety and what information you must be aware of both prior to and during your jump.

Thanks in advance :)

I'm not a very experienced jumper myself, but this I can answer :)
I understood from your post that youalready have a DZ picked out.
Well, the key to really become a part of skydiving, rahter than just jumping is simply to go to the DZ, watch the experienced folk jump and have a beer with them later. This may seem a little intimidating at first, it did to me in any case (what would they want to talk to me for? I haven't even jumped yet!) but you'll soon find that the community is very welcoming to new people who are genuinly interested in skydiving for whatever reason.

Ask questions during the day, buy beer afterwards - it's that simple :)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I would love the chance to email with a few of you

Are you hot? :P

Post up your questions. You'll find people here are more than willing to stick and oar in, even when you don't want their input.

You say "university", are you in the UK? What uni / where in the country are you? You could always go down your local DZ and chat to jumpers in their 'natural environment' - the DZ bar.

Just ask the instructors (when they are not jumping). Most will be more than willing to help unless they are a real dick.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

> interested in the thinking processes involved with skydiving

I'm guessing that you had in mind how people
are thinking when they are making competent,
intelligent jumps, and that's a great question,
right at the center of things, but equally interesting
could be what people are thinking in all the shenanigans
that go on at the dropzone in between jumps.

"Jeez, what were those guys thinking!?" :-) :-)

Also, remember that you have one really good
case study already, which is your own thoughts
as you go through this process.

Skr