Broke

Dytter settings

ist alarm: FF or video - 5k, RW 4k
2nd alarm: 2.5k
3rd alarm: 1.5k

I never change the bottom two alarms, I really don't need to be thinking about anything other than getting a canopy out if I hear one of them. I change the first alarm based on what I'm doing.

- Dan G

I see a lot of people only use one dytter or change their settings for the kind of jump they're doing. I have a system that I believe in 100%. Maybe you should check it out.

Wow... I've considered going to two audibles when I decide to start freeflying, but always thought of using them set to the same altitudes.. I may have to give that a shot when I finally go to two

I don't know that is a lot of beeps going off in your ears, I am of the mind set of keeping things simple.

agreed!

I wouldn't want to spend any more time than necessary trying to figure out what beeping means what, rather I use my audible as a supplement to my altitrack.

Additionally, I've become more altitude aware since using my audible and my internal freefall clock basically coincides with the audible cues.

Anyways here are my settings:

5000 = stop activites and trackaway
3000 = pull or should be under canopy
1500 = if i'm still in freefall I should be doing EP's if i hear this alarm

That's why it would be great to download your own MP3's into your dytter.

4500 - GET THE F&^K OUT OF THERE, THEY'RE ALL CRAZY!!!!!!!

3000 - OPEN YOUR PARACHUTE YOU STUPID MORON YOU'RE GONNA DIE!

1500 - Oh, that's great... now look what you've gone and done. You're gonna panic and go for your main while your CYPRES is gonna panic and go straight to reserve and now your gonna land with two parachutes out at the same time.. How embarassing is that gonna be? Look, all the ones with cameras are gathering now... they are going to get a great shot of the panic mixed with idiocy on your face and post it in the incidents forum on dropzone dot com you shmuck! Maybe you should go land by the car and then just get in and never come back. Damn you suck. Well... at least you got one more point. What'd that make it? One?

Those are the MP3's that I would load into my dytter. :)

Edited for product loyalty reasons.

I jump a Neptune and a Vigil, not a CYPRES or Dytter. ;)

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

lol... read above. You hear your flatline at 1500 and you haven't already pitched, you're gonna have a two out if you have an AAD. Guarantee you're not going straight to reserve... instinct will kick in.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I used to use two audibles and set them at different altitudes, that was way too confusing. Now I mainly just use my internal clock, eyes, visual altimeter, student/videographer/jumping buddies, one audible, and hopefully never my AAD.

FF/RW: 4.5k, 3k, 1.5k - break, pull, oh shit
I'll adjust the first and maybe the second altitude as needed.
canopy: 1400,1000,700 - downwind/base/start 270 on Katana 135 loaded around 1.9
move them all up or down as needed depending on turn, conditions, and canopy

Tandems: 6.5k, 5k, 3k - wake up student, pull myself, oh shit
canopy: 1k,600,300 - downwind/base/final
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

4000 - break off and track / stop playing with your frontrisers and doing other radical canopy exercises.

3000 open

1500 Silver! NOW!
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Usually 4.5, 3.0, and 2.0 for most "average RW dives. On smaller loads I'll often throw it out before the 2nd alarm even goes off, if I'm well clear of everyone else. On bigways it depends what my assigned breakoff and pull altitudes are, I might set the first for 5.5 and remain in my track until the second goes off at 3.0.

I like to leave the hard deck at 2.0. There's so little difference between 2.0 and 1.5, except for an extra 500 ft. And if I'm not open by 2 grand, I want to be reminded in every possible way.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

So what altitudes do you have our dytter set to?

For a 'normal' 1-8 way belly jump:

5500: Warning, break off is coming soon
4500: break off
1500: Hard Deck (I may be raising this to 1750-2000)

I chose to not have a 'pull' alarm based on something I heard Brian Germain say on SDR: you don't want to have a reflex of 'alarm X means pull NOW' because it may not always be appropriate to pull exactly when your alarm goes off.

Just my (and Brian's) two cents.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

Seems to me like everybody's got theirs set kinda low, unless they're doing video - I've got my Optima set higher for simple RW, and works for freeflying as well:

7500 - hey, pay attention, the clock is ticking
5500 - break off is about 3 seconds away
2150 - pull NOW or go silver

I realize the first alarm might seem a bit pointless, but I don't use my audible for altitudes so much, but more for reminders to look at my altimeter. I've set the low alarm off several times pulling near/at my minimum pull altitude, and once when I couldn't get my hacky and went silver - when you're unstable and not looking at your alti much, it sure makes sure you know that you're at your hard deck :)

"We'll start the ass kissing with you"

Small old school RW:
3500, 2500, 1500

Sitfly or jumping with wusses:
4500, 3500, 1500

(So I keep a consistent 1000' between breakoff and a second alarm. If I were actually doing serious head down freefly, and really had a lot of speed to burn off, the gap between first and 2nd alarms could be greater.)

Tandem:
6000, 5000, 2500
(Use the same group of settings for tandem video too, although the reasoning is debatable),
(As for the last alarm: Just like 1500' is 500+ ft above AAD altitudes for solo jumps, 2500' is 500+ ft above AAD altitudes for tandem jumps.)

If anything the greater breakoff altitudes these days lets one get pretty sloppy about being aware of altitude.

Sitfly or jumping with wusses inexperienced jumpers:
4500, 3500, 1500

Agreed?

If anything the greater breakoff altitudes these days lets one get pretty sloppy about being aware of altitude.

Not necessarily; depends on how you use the dytter.
Ideallly, what with the level of experience I currently ahve, my dytter sounds off the moment I should already be waving off / reaching for my hackey.
I agree though that completely depending on it instead of being altitude aware is potentially dangerous.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

So what altitudes do you have our dytter set to?

4300 - you should have broken off from a free fly jump
2800 - you should have pulled
2000 - you really should have pulled when you have a small elliptical canopy and big beer belly

With break-off and pull altitudes set above where you should have done something it's too easy to be reacting to the dytter and find yourself in trouble when it dies.

Watching the ground and then a visual altimeter is a much better idea (for flat jumps, it's nice when people have a chest mount you can read across the formation)

I had two.

Both set the the same until i saw a thread on dz.com that made sense (shock)

I set them 200ft higher than my planned altitudes so if it beeped it meant i fucked up and was relying on the electronics.

Ones in England now and one got booted off my head.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.