Broke

Dytter settings

Since I do the Speed Skydive thing I set the Pro Track and the Pro Dytter ( yes I have 2 for Speed skydiving)

Alarm 1 to go off at 5500 ( where the measured Kilometer stops. I go into my track to bleed off speed here

Alarm 2 goes off at 4500 where I should turn the speed brakes on with my hands and lower arms. I hold that till I feel the pressure on them stop nd then I go to flat stable and deploy

Alarm 3 is 2500 where I should have already deployed and hopefully a good canopy is happening.
That should leave plenty of room should I need it in case a malfunction occurs.

5,500 Break off

4,000 deploy

2,500 hard deck

Just cuase uspa says i can go lower why the hell would you????? You guys turn a few more points and i'll have a little more time to deal with any issues. Also i FF, so it gives me a little more time for break off.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

1. 3600- get the last Point and go
2. 2500 you better be gone.
3 1500 oh baby look out below.

I have not heard the 1500 in a long time. I do almost exclusively 4-way and most people I jump with know how to track like rockets. If they can't track we move the break to 4 istead of 35. 8-ways break at 4, unless there are low timers, then it's 45. On a skydive bigger then 8 you might see a 45r.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Regular FF:

Tandem Video

Tracking
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Regular FF:

Tandem Video

Tracking

At these altitudes, it sounds like you are using your Dytter to tell you to do something as opposed to let you know that you forgot to do something. Dangerous habit to get into if you ask me. I set mine a tiny bit lower than what my intended altitudes to do something are, except my hard deck at 2000. If I hear my hard deck and I don't have my hackey in my hand, I hope I'm going straight to reserve to prevent a 2 out with my AAD going off. Something tells me though I will instinctively go for hackey and 2G's should give me enough tude to wip it out.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

tandemvideo: do you look at you altimiter??
FF competition: do you look at your altimiter??
Tracking is set higher as a "heads up" since I may be way out, away from a good LZ. Since I see the ground all the time i'm more aware then when doing anything else. I'm more concerned about others slamming into me from above then to check my altimiter.

I check my altimiter 2-3 times during funjumps....

Yes I trust BOTH dytters and I've got no problems with not looking at my altimeter.

I'd rather use them as heads up then "i'm to low". For you they are the devices that tell you you've screwed up. Dytters are to your assistance, not just to tell you that you're low. You'll see that you're to low or feel it when your AAD pops or you may see people shout at you

my 2 cents...
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Don't do tandem video or competition. Point taken.

Alot of tandem videos I have seen though the camera guys displays his altimeter after the tandem pair has opened. I think it adds an effect to the finished video.

I see where you are coming from, and having two dytters to do the job you are giving them is a good idea. If you are only using one, I still wouldn't like it.

But.... just facilitating what I think is a good topic here. Putting the questions out there because I would like to hear the answers.

Tandem video guys... do you use your dytter to telll you you are closing in on tandem opening altitude? Or do you let the TI worry about his own opening altitude and you worry about yours after he opens.

Competition guys.... does having two dytters replace the old days of looking at the other guys altimeters or just simply being time aware? Or does it add another layer of safety?

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I see a lot of people only use one dytter or change their settings for the kind of jump they're doing. I have a system that I believe in 100%. Maybe you should check it out.

I have 2 dytters (one left ear one right ear).
My Left ear is set for 6K, 5K, and 2K
My Right ear is set for 4K, 3K, and 2K

This way on ever skydive I always hear it the same sequence at the same altitudes: 6K, 5K, 4K, 3K then both start screaming at 2K.

This way if one ever just quits working, I'm covered by the other. If I hear my right dytter go first, I know something is not normal and stop to check things out. If my 4K never comes because my right one quit, my left one will still freak out at 2K if I don't have a canopy over my head or for some reason I am distracted, battling some mal, or possibly unconcious from a collision. I always wear a visual altimeter anyway, but with as much freeflying and camera work I do, I much prefer this system for peace of mind. I always immediately notice when something isn't right... and I'm always altitude aware!

Hope someone finds this useful.

-Simon
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

I have 2 dytters.

I have a protrack and the alarms are always set at:

1st: 4.5kft (which is usually plus or minus 500 ft from break-off altitudes or right on.)

2nd: 2.5kft is my "YO, If your still moving fast you better do something quickly alarm."

3rd: 1.9kft Hard Deck, aka do something now....

and an Optima: which has 4 presets: I generally use two different settings:

A) 1st: 5k ft, 2nd: 4k ft 3rd: 1.9k ft

These are typical breakoff altitudes for most of the formations and as a videographer or player I know should expect to leave the formation at one of those alarms.

B) 1st: 6k ft, 2nd: 5k ft. 3rd: 1.9k ft

I use this setting for tandem video jumps so that I get a heads up shortly before the tandem is likely to deploy their main parachutes.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I see a lot of people only use one dytter or change their settings for the kind of jump they're doing. I have a system that I believe in 100%. Maybe you should check it out.

Wow... I've considered going to two audibles when I decide to start freeflying, but always thought of using them set to the same altitudes.. I may have to give that a shot when I finally go to two
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

Wow... I've considered going to two audibles when I decide to start freeflying, but always thought of using them set to the same altitudes.. I may have to give that a shot when I finally go to two

I don't know that is a lot of beeps going off in your ears, I am of the mind set of keeping things simple.