csc

Just plain unlucky??? You decide.

Yep, unlucky. But they should have checked for cop cars down below before jumping.

I once jumped into a public park for a wedding party. While overhead, we noticed a police car in the vicinity in the park. We knew that the jump was legal, but we also figured the cop wouldn't know that - they're trained to arrest people who do unusual things. So we circled overhead until the cop car departed, and then jumped. And everything went just fine.

...but lucky they didn't burn in...

This strikes me as a pretty inane comment. At 50 jumps, you're pretty hip to that skydiver lingo. Do you post this about every BASE jump ? Are you still amazed at every skydive that doesn't end in death ? :S

Kevin K.

they're trained to arrest people who do unusual things.

Really? and here I thought police were trained to arrest people who broke the law. ;)

Granted they sometimes will detain people for doing unusual things but in order to arrest someone they have to have broken the law.

Of course I probably would have circled as well... or at the very least had someone on the ground with the appropiate permits to intercept any officers that might try to arrest me if I was doing a legal demonstration jump.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Poor guys! I wonder if they could have gotten away with it if they would have just played it off cool instead of running....:P

"No Officer, I do this here every night!"

A friend of mine got busted a year ago under similar circumstances (except his was a 282' Attenna).

His comment after was he should have told the cop he was practicing ground launching (in a field at 3 am next to a tower....). However as it was his first bust, he had other things on his mind. B|

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

im just being realistic. it could happen to anyone of any skill level in either sport.

Do you actually believe you are being realistic by believing that the outcome of every jump is based on luck?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

im just being realistic. it could happen to anyone of any skill level in either sport.

Do you actually believe you are being realistic by believing that the outcome of every jump is based on luck?

Nope. It is my understanding that common to both the BASE and Skydiving environments is risk mitigation. That said, you can do everything right and still end up going in.

If anyone would like to further debate any of my previous comments feel free to PM me as I don't want to hijack this thread.

UH...no. They can arrest anyone for any reason. They can arrest you for just giving them a hard time. Ain't saying its right or legal, but they can do it. Nothing may come of it, but you will still spend a few hours with them...

I don't really want to argue with cause then we'd have to go to Speakers Corner and I don't really want to do that... but... ;)

Think of it this way... John's arguement was that police are traind to arrest people for doing unusual things... when I was in college I liked to juggle while running a lot of people probably felt that it was unusual (I know because people told me this) but an officer would be hard pressed to find a reason to arrest me for doing it... as I'm not endangering anyone or breaking any laws... :P

I did it for several years (I haven't done it in recent years) and although I'm sure I passed a police officer or more I would be willing to bet they didn't even give me a second thought other then possibly thinking that I was very strange, skilled or both...

I'm not saying that people aren't incarcerated or detained for "disobeying a lawful order" even if the officer hasn't given a lawful order. But that doesn't make it right... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Think of it this way... John's arguement was that police are traind to arrest people for doing unusual things... when I was in college I liked to juggle while running a lot of people probably felt that it was unusual (I know because people told me this) but an officer would be hard pressed to find a reason to arrest me for doing it...

The context of that phrase was given in a description of a jump into a public park. I don't expect police officers to understand the FAR's, and I can easily imagine them concocting an arrest excuse like "endangering the public", whether valid or not.

I'm certain that if you try, you can see the difference between that, and public juggling.

But feel free to parachute down and land in front of the police anyway, if you dare.

It depends on the cop. I landed in the san antonio river with bike cops watching. They just stood there and let me get away.

Uh-huh. And how do you know in advance which cops are going to go easy on you?
Advance donations to the FOP. :P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"