kscott904

your AFF program

I just did the ground school and my first jump. It was defineately more than I thought, but wouldn't say it was hard. I did botch my practice pulls with the shear reality of what was happening and failing to remember the sign for practice touches.

If hard means meeting the standard and not something else then I would say our AFF program is hard.

Again I'm not sure what you are asking for specifically but in general terms a students should advance if they have met the standard and not advance if they don't. We don't require perfection on every learning objective but we do require passing every learning objective.

For instance some students turn fast, some turn slow, and some turn too far but then in-control they stop the turn. All of these students would pass but the student who couldn't turn in-control would not pass.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

There is definitely room for improvement for mine...depending on the instructor. I felt ill prepared for some things. However, if you make the effort to find out, there are plenty of very knowledgeable instructors to ask. I'd rate mine a 7-8.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

I didn't find any phase particularly difficult. Some stages looked hard, like 7 when I was on 3, but as each approached I was prepared and built upon what I had learned.

The more challenging part for me is the self-supervised, out there alone trying to figure out what I am doing.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Definately a 10!!! My entire program was one on one with a private instructor (bodypilot1) Every jump was video taped and reviewed with how to correct my issues. I had one repeat jump due to spining, but he corrected my body position by showing me the video. In one week I went from student to noob skydiver ;)

If your looking for a good instructor, Eddie is da man.

Stay Safe,

Phil

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I did my training at Emerald Coast, and my instructor definitely challenged me. As I said in another thread, I had a problem with a very flat arch. I had to repeat a jump because of that.

When I switched duty stations, and now jump at Elsinore, a lot of stuff I was taught at Emerald Coast was extra training and information. Both Elsinore's and EC's training programs make sure that the student is ready for solos, but EC's definitely pushed that extra training, and a higher standard. Definitely a lot of professionals there, as at Elsinore as well.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I had to really think about the question and then my answer.

I would have to say a 9.5

I did my AFF in March '08 at Elsinore and have made a gang of jumps there since then and my instruction continues to this day.

Earlier today I had a very enlightenling conversation with Chad (an instructor at Elsinore) regarding landing approaches in the main/student landing areas.

This is just one of MANY conversations I have had with the instructors/packers/locals at Elsinore. I ask ALOT of questions and NEVER settle for one persons answer.

As dumb as some of my questions may have been I have never been laughed at (ok maybe a few times) but NEVER discouraged from seeking more info.

In fact, due to my persistence it looks like we will be having water training in the next couple of weeks! (thanks Mark!)

There are alot of great instructors at Elsinore but the ones that affected me the most would have to be Cesar, Lelo, Mark, Chad, Matt and Yong,

But I want to clarify, this is not my opinion of their AFF program overall, it is my rating of the training that I personally received.

Due to the fact I have never received AFF training anywhere else I don't feel qualified to rate their course compared to another dz's training.

I will say this; I would easily have paid double what I did pay to get my A license if I had to, for whatever that is worth

edit: My 19 year old daughter is going to begin her AFF next month at Elsinore after careful consideration of other options, if that is not a testament as to my opinion of the training at Elsinore, I don't know what is!

cya,
pcnut

I just graduated my AFF in Sebastian, FL... What a view! It was actually easier the less I thought about it.... Am looking for a rig, can anyone advise a new grad on what to buy? stable flier, great landings... HELP? My instructors have said something @ a 170.. I am 5'9 and 175#s...

I wouldn't say that the AFF program in general is hard, it's just hard for ME.

My instructors are top-notch. They're patient, encouraging, thorough, and honest. I know that I won't pass a jump just for the heck of it; if I can't do the skill required, then I won't pass.

Fortunately, they haven't handed me the bowling ball... yet...