kscott904

AFF cost?

Eastern PA or Western PA?

If you're in western PA I recommend Skydive Pennsylvania www.skydivepa.com. (Not that I'm partial to that place seeing as how it's where I spend every weekend during the summer ;))

I'm not 100% sure of the AFF price but I think it's right around $2000.

And remember AFF is only part of the cost of obtaining an "A license". Visit the local DZ and talk to them about the whole student progression.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

$1500-$3000

Hmm, Florida rates:

Skydive Sebastian: $1180
Skydive Palatka: $1075
Skydive City(ZHills): $1200

Figure you may fail a level or two which can add to that cost, but you can also just do some some tunnel time with your instructor to head that off.

But you can easily get through AFF for less than $1500 and should be able to get your A without too much more cost at a DZ that doesn't see students as a money train.

I guess you _could_ go through just AFF and stop, but...

In 2004 just did AFF, jumped a lot solo, filled out my card and when I needed coach jumps I just covered their slot. Didn't cost me all that much and I never even had to pay for a packing class. A packer just taught me, because someone taught them for free when they were starting.

600 jumps later I still haven't stopped jumping, but I am sorry to see newbies getting hit up for $$$ on training I got for free when I was just off AFF.

If it's 3k to get a license and 5k for gear, it's no wonder more people aren't getting into the sport.

When I did it (last year) just AFF was something like $1100. 28 jumps including the coach jumps was $1900. That means $800 for 20 jumps, five of which were coach jumps (so 25 slots) plus gear rental on those 20 jumps plus pack jobs. I don't feel that was out of line at all.

But, I also somehow made it through without repeating any levels, and didn't get any videos, and the place I go is the cheapest in the area. The fact that it was a 182 DZ from 10,000 feet meant I had to move a fair bit faster on the AFF jumps than I would have from 14000. If I'd gone to one of the turbine DZs around and failed a couple levels, I could have easily spent 3k. OTOH, my DZ was running an off-season special around christmas for the same package for $1600.