maestrabella67

skydiving hang ups

Diving exits.

I would dive out the right side door stably and make a nice, controlled, 180° right turn and be facing the aircraft again.

Trying to do the turn to the left didn't help, I'd still right turn back to the aircraft.

I just kept jumping and the problem went away by itself after a couple dozen jumps. I guess I learned to fly better. It wasn't really a problem anyway because I was never unstable, so I could afford not to let it bother me.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Not strictly skydiving, but this is as close as I came:

I really hated the tunnel.

I couldn't even put a name to why, but the whole experience of being enclosed like that made me tense and uncomfortable.

It went away after the first hour or so, but it was weird.

(I now acknowledge my error, the wind tunnel is easily the coolest toy ever invented by humankind, and I spend way too much of my time and hard-earned cash in them - I am very thoroughly recovered :$)

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Right now I'm having a bit of a spinning problem. I think I'm dropping my right knee (I spin to the left). It's been a few jumps so far and I just haven't been able to figure it out exactly. The thing is I feel completely comfortable with every part of the jump and it all feels natural. So once I figure out my spin I think I'll be good to go.
I'll be whatever I want to do!

I have two big ones; The first one being anxiety on exit. I'd get so damn anxious and completely freak out, and end up flailing out the door. My ex bf started getting me to hang out in the door with him for a second or two, take a slow deep breath in, let it out slowly and just relax. It helped me soo much (still does!)!!
A second issue that I still have from time to time is on landing getting lazy (a bit freaked out too) and sliding in on my knees instead of my feet. I really have to consciously think/say to myself "land on your feet" sometimes, as otherwise I just go back to my knees. :)

"Sex.... It's just like cuddling - only damper."
Flying Hellfish#695
Muff Brother#3885
Rodriguez Brother#1526-Tronca Rodriguez

Many hangups, but by far the biggest was night jumps. Had a real big story going on about them. Then I did them. They were great! Had no trouble at all seeing.
I think sometimes we invent things to be worried about. One bad landing and"I can't land." a few missed targets and "I suck at accuracy." Hangups are mental things. Don't listen to the little voice in your head that tells you what you can't do.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I only have 6 jumps and 4 AFF under my belt but my hangup definitely seems to be flaring. First AFF I flared and had a solid landing but the instructor thought I did it a little early, so the next jump I waited way too late (ouch :D). The next two jumps I kinda quasi-flared a little too early, realized it and waited a bit before fully flaring. Not very smooth landings like I see the instructors pulling but at least I'm not eating grass anymore.

AFF was very easy for me. I blew right through it with little to no nerves. It wasnt until i began solo jumping that i met my beast.... The door.

Of all things to be afraid of its the stupid square that i jump out of. Im not afraid at the door, but for some reason opening and closing the door terrifies me. I have insisted on opening the door on my last 12 jumps to overcome this irrational fear, but for some reason i just dont like it.

It makes no sense because I intend on jumping out of the door, but it scares the shit out of me.

Flame on

My hang up seems to be the plane ride up. At about 7 or 8000 feet I starting wondering what I am doing! It continutes until the door opens and I stand in the door, then, no problem, out I go and the fun begins.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Hangups are mental things. Don't listen to the little voice in your head that tells you what you can't do.

Those are great words, croc, thank you! And thanks to everybody who's been answering.

I've only done 3 jumps in AFF, and one of my hang ups is that I keep dropping my knees during free fall. I can't get my arch correct because of dropped knees. I'm so embarrassed to admit this, but I'm probably the only person ever to get stuck on the category B jump. :( I know, however, that I am not ready to continue on to C until I can arch properly.

My other hang up is that free fall scares the bejeebers outta me! I don't have door issues, I don't have problems getting out of the plane, it's just the actual free fall itself terrifies me! It's such a relief when I hit 5,500 and it's time to wave off then deploy. Under canopy so far has been fine.

Jump 1 went great, jump 2 I totally busted I got so freaked out, to the point of losing my altitude awareness... I suddenly realized one of my instructors was making the "pull" signal right in front of me, that was when I looked at my altimeter and went "oh, crap, I'm already at 5,000!". Jump 3 went much better than jump 2, yet I can't make my legs do what I want them to.

Fortunately, my instructors tell me that the knee dropping IS a fixable problem... and they haven't handed me a bowling ball... yet...

Mine was under canopy the first few times. I'm a heck of a lot more comfortable now. The only time I get a twinge of real nervousness hitting me is when a cross wind rattles my canopy. It's an unsettling feeling, but it keeps me alert at all times. That's my only real hang up...
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

I was a spinner....
One heck of a spinner even :ph34r:

Started out as a static line student and when I had been trying out flat spin for atleast 10 consecutive jumps I was pretty fed up with that and I converted to AFF.
After the first jump I knew what was wrong and never had any hang ups since then....

Well.. Okey.. I had one MAJOR hang up as a neewbie... Hop n' pops... Those scared the living daylights out of me for a while ;)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Well.. Okey.. I had one MAJOR hang up as a neewbie... Hop n' pops... Those scared the living daylights out of me for a while ;)

Dang, if I could just get an A license by doing hop n' pops I'd be all set! :)

The altitude is your best friend ;)
I felt being so close to the ground was extremely scary:D
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Getting stable off the step in a poised exit without a loop or two. I just started diving on every exit cuz I had no problem getting stable that way. Then I realized where my legs were on my poised exits. Problem solved.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Definitely the door... for my first 5 or 6 jumps, I got really nervous when the door was open. I'd always lean away from it and try not to look at it, as if that would help somehow. Now it doesn't bother me, I have no problem leaning out to watch someone exit or to spot.